Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the top questions. There's two competing viewpoints here-

1. For simplicity of design, Model Y has the same pack options as Model 3, and therefore less range. Mirroring Model S vs Model X
2. Model Y is a bigger vehicle so put in more battery so it at least matches if not exceeds the range of the Model 3.

Neither strategy is inherently wrong, but it will be interesting to see which one Tesla subscribes to.
I would be very surprised if it isn't "1" since simplified production has to be a major goal.

You buy a Y and you get less range than the equivalent 3; why would this be unexpected to anyone?

Elon didn't say that the Y range will be lower than the 3 LR. He said that for equivalent batteries Y will have less range. Which does not mean that the Y won't have larger batteries than the 3 to compensate that.
Guys, it's already been stated that the Y will have the exact same battery pack as the 3 (just as the X has the same as the S), in fact it will have the exact same drive train/options. Even further, it will have 75% approx the same parts as the 3. It's basically exactly the same car as the 3 except 10% bigger. So dollars to donuts it will have slightly lower range.

I definitely think that’s the more likely scenario. However, I do think there’s merit to the idea that the Model Y may start with the Premium + battery pack as a base. That would keep the minimum range for any configuration Model Y above 200mi.

That would also bring the base price closer to $40K:

Model 3 base: $35,000
Premium Plus add-on: $2,000
10% more expensive: $3,700
Total: $40,700

I definitely think that’s the more likely scenario. However, I do think there’s merit to the idea that the Model Y may start with the Premium + battery pack as a base. That would keep the minimum range for any configuration Model Y above 200mi.

This give me an interesting thought. I've got a May 2014 Model S 85 with a D pack battery. 260 miles of range on a full charge, no AP, no ACC, 1st gen seats, no dual motor, no air suspension, no premium audio, etc. It does have lifetime free supercharging. Kelly Blue Book rates the current value at around $35K, which is consistent with what Tesla offered me for it late last year.

If I could trade that in + up to $5K for a Model Y with better range, full AP, latest gen seats, premium sound, faster acceleration, dual motors, summon capability, etc. I might consider that an "upgrade" even without the free supercharging.

Reactions: jsrawa
even without the free supercharging.
Here is what people make a huge deal about. It is not such a big deal. It just depends on how often you supercharge. It only costs $11 per charge if I max out my battery. Home is about $7. Gas for a car like my Model 3 would be $65 per tank three times a month. I drive 12k per year.
If you rarely supercharge, barely makes a difference. I'd upgrade any day if I were you.

Reactions: brd7
If the Base price of Model Y is around 38K as mentioned, there could be significant number of reservations
I will reserve one but will wait for the initial teething problems are rectified before taking the delivery

Similar to the Model 3 process, I believe the upper trims will be available first. Higher margins first until newer production is online for economies of scale. The base model price will be advertised for $39,000.

See below for my estimates of price points and base specs for all Tesla models. This including the Model Y reveal and price history and adjustments anticipated.
Tesla Lineup.JPG

I am hopeful for a lot of reservations as well!

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Here is what people make a huge deal about. It is not such a big deal. It just depends on how often you supercharge. It only costs $11 per charge if I max out my battery. Home is about $7. Gas for a car like my Model 3 would be $65 per tank three times a month. I drive 12k per year.
If you rarely supercharge, barely makes a difference. I'd upgrade any day if I were you.
Yep. I've been on about 6 Supercharging trips from San Diego in 5 years: Phoenix twice, Monterey, Morro Bay, Las Vegas twice. While the free Supercharging is nice, it isn't close to a must-have for me.

There will definitely be a reservation if you believe Tesla needs/wants the cash, and it will be online.

I think the day one reservation numbers won't be as bonkers as Model 3 (assuming the same 1K deposit), but once these things start hitting the streets and without any significant kinks the sales/reservations are going to skyrocket.

I think there are a lot of people wanting the liftgate the Model Y will have and not affording a Model X. People now also are accustom to the look of the Model 3 and it has grown on many who didn't think they liked it or wouldn't be able to adjust to one center screen. So not as much shock over a new design. It will be interesting to see how the dash gets configured from the Model 3 if at all. I know they will be trying to keep costs down so going with as many same parts as they can to get volume pricing/profit out of it. If the Model Y drives like the Model 3, people will be sold. I think they have a pretty great computer system running the car and with OTA updates and are so far ahead of others out there on so many fronts. Pretty much tried and true at this point as to what to expect. I do agree once people digest the configuration, cost and compare to other manufacturers out there, I too expect this will be a winner. Hopefully production set up will run smoothly and I think Tesla has learned alot from it's Model 3 production.

Reactions: woodisgood
If the Base price of Model Y is around 38K as mentioned, there could be significant number of reservations
I will reserve one but will wait for the initial teething problems are rectified before taking the delivery

I would think like with the Model 3, the base version will come at the production end of versions and as such the vehicle would have been pretty solid in all respects. But it will be a bit of a wait I think.

But will the Model Y have towing capability like the X does???? I think so.