Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a MY Performance with the 20" Induction wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, First post.

I ordered the MY prior to the price changes, and at the time, you could order a Performance model with the 19" Gemini Wheels. I wanted the 20" Induction wheels, but did not care for the "package" that came with it (metal petals and a few other tidbits) for $4500.

As it is today, the performance model is only available with the 21" Uberturbine wheels. Although the "price" was changed, if I update my order to the current performance package, it is the same price, since they decreased the base price, but increased the options price. Therefore, I can "upgrade" my wheels at no additional cost, however, not to the wheels I want.

Are wheel sales in the Tesla community common? Do you think the Uberturbine wheels would be more desirable to folks compared do the Gemini, or Induction wheels? Would changing wheels void Tesla Warranty (even if they were aftermarket)?

Basically, I would like to find someone to trade with, to get the 20" induction wheels.

From what I have gathered, there is still more demand for the Induction wheels across the board, more so than the Uberturbines, and probably significantly more than the Geminis since those are the base wheels. That being said, I think you would find a quicker sale for the Ubers if you were to be selling those more so than the Geminis. As for a straight up trade, I think that would be mostly contingent on where you live and how many people would be interested in that kind of deal.

For warranty issues, obviously a different set of wheels from what you bought the car with would fall outside of almost all warranty options for those wheels, however Tesla would have to prove that you swapping wheels caused whatever warranty issue that comes up and I have a hard time seeing how a stock set of wheels that Tesla offers would cause any warranty problems for the Model Y.

I ordered the MY prior to the price changes, and at the time, you could order a Performance model with the 19" Gemini Wheels. I wanted the 20" Induction wheels, but did not care for the "package" that came with it (metal petals and a few other tidbits) for $4500.

Depending when your original order for the Performance Y was created is what options you had in that window if i recall correctly.

Before June 2020, you had 2 options, no cost difference
Base Gemini 19" Wheels
or
Performance Upgrade Package at no charge you would get the Uberturbine 21" Wheels.

From early June to mid July, 3 choices no cost difference
Base Gemini 19" Wheels
or
Performance Upgrade Package at no charge you would get the Uberturbine 21" Wheels.
or
Induction 20" Wheels

Now you have only Uberturbine.......

Based on posts i have read, i don't think there will be many options available to swap the Uberturbines for Inductions. Your best bet will likely be keep your order with the Gemini wheels and either buy the Inductions directly from Tesla or another set of after market wheels if the Gemini's don't work for you.

From my first visit to see a Y in person, I wanted to the Inductions, which was not available, so I originally ordered the Performance with the Performance Upgrade package with the Uberturbines. However, since it was 5 weeks and still no VIN i saw they updated the order page to allow you to get a Performance without the Performance Upgrade Package and be able to select the Inductions, so I changed my order immediately. Glad I did as now Performance only comes with the package. The only thing I even remotely was interested in the package was the breaks. Pedal covers you can get anywhere, lower suspension is rougher ride, and 21" wheels also rougher ride and reduced range, so no thanks.

From my first visit to see a Y in person, I wanted to the Inductions, which was not available, so I originally ordered the Performance with the Performance Upgrade package with the Uberturbines. However, since it was 5 weeks and still no VIN i saw they updated the order page to allow you to get a Performance without the Performance Upgrade Package and be able to select the Inductions, so I changed my order immediately. Glad I did as now Performance only comes with the package. The only thing I even remotely was interested in the package was the breaks. Pedal covers you can get anywhere, lower suspension is rougher ride, and 21" wheels also rougher ride and reduced range, so no thanks.

This was basically my view of the PUP, and partly why I want the want the 20" wheels. I dont want a rougher ride,and Im not a fan of large rims. I would certainly spring for the brakes, but everything else was actually a negative for my preferences.

If the Gemini's came in black, I would be accepting of them. Oh well, looks like Ill just figure it out afterwards.