Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering and Stamp Duty Exemption in NSW Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla legends!

Young guy with kids here trying to order my Model 3 and super excited… but I need your help!

Looking at the Long Range and the cost for the base car is $76,200. Love it in Grey and so the $1,500 takes it to $77,700…. And this sits neatly under the hard $78,000 ceiling in NSW to access the Stamp Duty Exemption which is going to save me $3,000!

BUT… and this is where I need your help… the ‘order fee’ of $350 and the ‘delivery fee’ of $1,375 takes the car price to $79,425 and I miss out on the $3,000 exemption completely! The delivery fee and order fee aren’t costing me $1,725 but $5k! Now here’s my question…

I swear I have read on these forums somewhere that Tesla are happy for you to pay the order fee and delivery fee separately… thus keeping the cost of the car for stamp duty expemtion purposes to the ACTUAL car and options (which is the spirit of the legislation!) and the service fees for ordering and delivery sit on a separate and still legitimate invoice!?

I went into Tesla this morning and they swore black and blue they would never do this and that anyone saying on a Forum that Tesla did this for them is lying? To be honest I left feeling silly and despondent!

Can anyone confirm if they have experienced this or heard that Tesla were helping customers in this regard??

Thanks guys and Electric love to you all.

Sean

I'm no expert. Got the refund of SD from the NSW Govt last year.

I think Tesla would be breaking NSW law if it split off order and delivery fees as you suggest. I cannot imagine them doing that.

People do purchase FSD, roof bars and other accessories separately to crawl under the limits and nothing illegal about that.

Hello Tesla legends!

Young guy with kids here trying to order my Model 3 and super excited… but I need your help!

Looking at the Long Range and the cost for the base car is $76,200. Love it in Grey and so the $1,500 takes it to $77,700…. And this sits neatly under the hard $78,000 ceiling in NSW to access the Stamp Duty Exemption which is going to save me $3,000!

BUT… and this is where I need your help… the ‘order fee’ of $350 and the ‘delivery fee’ of $1,375 takes the car price to $79,425 and I miss out on the $3,000 exemption completely! The delivery fee and order fee aren’t costing me $1,725 but $5k! Now here’s my question…

I swear I have read on these forums somewhere that Tesla are happy for you to pay the order fee and delivery fee separately… thus keeping the cost of the car for stamp duty expemtion purposes to the ACTUAL car and options (which is the spirit of the legislation!) and the service fees for ordering and delivery sit on a separate and still legitimate invoice!?

I went into Tesla this morning and they swore black and blue they would never do this and that anyone saying on a Forum that Tesla did this for them is lying? To be honest I left feeling silly and despondent!

Can anyone confirm if they have experienced this or heard that Tesla were helping customers in this regard??

Sean
thus keeping the cost of the car for stamp duty expemtion purposes to the ACTUAL car and options (which is the spirit of the legislation!) and the service fees for ordering and delivery sit on a separate and still legitimate invoice!?

Mate, the order fee and delivery fee are still sales and delivery costs to Tesla that they have to recuperate as cost of selling you the ACTUAL car.
The base price for the vehicle ($76,200) is probably what Tesla Australia "pays" the Shanghai Gigafactory for each vehicle then the $350 + $1,350 are what it cost to have that vehicle moved to and delivered in Australia.

Hello Tesla legends!

Sean

Whoever said that they would do it separately is absolutely lying to you.

But also, did you already order the LR? Because the Price of the LR is now over 80K including GST?

When claiming the SD refund in NSW you have to supply a copy of your invoice with your application. My LR with my options, ordered in Dec '21, only just scraped under the thresholds. The LR now does not qualify for the SD rebate as the cost for the base LR config (on Tesla AU) is $80,000 ($81,725 with order and delivery fees) which greater than $78,000 cap. The NSW Government thresholds includes the amounts listed above the line on your agreement vehicle cost (incl GST). That is the figure used to calculate your stamp duty that is payable as is required under NSW regulations. None of these items can be waived:

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 3.56.48 pm.png

If your order cost is prior to the recent price increases your figures will differ from current price I quoted above but essentially you have to pay SD if your total (incl GST) is over the $78.000 cap.

Last edited:
Mate, the order fee and delivery fee are still sales and delivery costs to Tesla that they have to recuperate as cost of selling you the ACTUAL car.
The base price for the vehicle ($76,200) is probably what Tesla Australia "pays" the Shanghai Gigafactory for each vehicle then the $350 + $1,350 are what it cost to have that vehicle moved to and delivered in Australia.
Thanks ApexM3 fair call. I don’t want anyone dodging the law - I legitimately thought I heard that Tesla were offering this legally allowing you to pay those service costs separately but I stand corrected and must have read it wrongly. Cheers for the reply.

I'm no expert. Got the refund of SD from the NSW Govt last year.

I think Tesla would be breaking NSW law if it split off order and delivery fees as you suggest. I cannot imagine them doing that.

People do purchase FSD, roof bars and other accessories separately to crawl under the limits and nothing illegal about that.
Thanks Doggy1, no fair enough I see your point and only asked because I was sooo close and thought I had heard that this was legally on offer. Not trying to evade tax. Thanks for the reply man.

Whoever said that they would do it separately is absolutely lying to you.

But also, did you already order the LR? Because the Price of the LR is now over 80K including GST?
Thanks BDB2088 Yeh they must have been full of it. Oh wow I had no idea it had gone up - yes I had my order in from March! Ok so the base price has risen by $3,800 anyway! So I just need to suck it up, grow a pair and pay the money and feel good that even without a stamp duty exemption I’m ahead on current pricing.

When claiming the SD refund in NSW you have to supply a copy of your invoice with your application. My LR with my options, ordered in Dec '21, only just scraped under the thresholds. The LR now does not qualify for the SD rebate as the cost for the base LR config (on Tesla AU) is $80,000 ($81,725 with order and delivery fees) which greater than $78,000 cap. The NSW Government thresholds includes the amounts listed above the line on your agreement vehicle cost (incl GST). That is the figure used to calculate your stamp duty that is payable as is required under NSW regulations. None of these items can be waived:

View attachment 824872

If your order cost is prior to the recent price increases your figures will differ from current price I quoted above but essentially you have to pay SD if your total (incl GST) is over the $78.000 cap.
Thanks Zarbs that’s super helpful. Yes my base price is $76,200 so with just delivery and order fee I could scrape under $78k I think, but not with a paint colour other than white. First world problem I guess and maybe I take it as a win that I’ve at least beaten then latest price hike!

Hey you got your car yet???? What colour did you order?

So I just need to suck it up, grow a pair and pay the money and feel good that even without a stamp duty exemption I’m ahead on current pricing.

Note in NSW if you buy an EV that isn’t eligible for the SD exemption, it also means that you don’t pay the road user charge (RUC) when it comes in, which will happen when ZEV sales reach 30% or on 1 July 2027, whichever occurs first. So there is a different kind of upside.