TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ordering and Taxes

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by wpoveromo, Jul 11, 2013.

1. wpoveromo

wpoveromo Member

I've been told the best thing to do was to actually "sign" in the state of New Jersey since they don't have state tax on vehicles. I know there is also a dealership in Florida. I'm curious to any suggestions and what others did to actually sign. Do I really need to fly to N.J. or Florida if I select the Tesla finance plan?

Thanks.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

?? I don't think there's any legal way around that. You have to pay state taxes wherever the car is first registered, so it doesn't matter where you sign bc as soon as you register it in your home state you'll have to pay the taxes there.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

There is actually no sales tax (technically) on any car sold in Georgia anymore. You pay a single time vehicle tax when you register the car.

This was part of their removing the ad valorem taxes on cars. Unless you can keep the car tagged/registered in another state. All the monkeying around in the world wont keep you from paying in Georgia.