Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering California Personalized Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI. I went to my local AAA on Monday (5/3/21) & ordered Personalized Calif. Historical (black) plates for my Model S.
AAA verified the letter/number combo I wanted were available & took my $50 check. When I asked roughly when I could expect my new plates I was told around 8 months. Guess I just wait now.

Update: Ordered Aug 2021 (6 months ago) and finally called DMV. Order has been processed on Dec 24th and expect 30-60 days for plates to arrive. Net net about 7 to 8 months after i ordered...
Quick update. Went to DMV for my daughters permit test and asked about status on my plates. Apparently DMV sent them to my address on Dec 24, 2021. Since I never received them I had to file a "lost" plate and will need to re-order them. Have no idea how long that will take. Feel like just getting my $50 bucks back :(

Quick update. Went to DMV for my daughters permit test and asked about status on my plates. Apparently DMV sent them to my address on Dec 24, 2021. Since I never received them I had to file a "lost" plate and will need to re-order them. Have no idea how long that will take. Feel like just getting my $50 bucks back :(
Patience grasshopper ;-) I just got mine last week after ordering the plates last April. they had contacted me because the application showed our old address and it didn't match their records (moved last August). I now have an order in for the license wrap https://licenseplatewrap.com/ (legal in CA) and looking forward to getting it on top of the ppf on the front of the Y.

Patience grasshopper ;-) I just got mine last week after ordering the plates last April. they had contacted me because the application showed our old address and it didn't match their records (moved last August). I now have an order in for the license wrap https://licenseplatewrap.com/ (legal in CA) and looking forward to getting it on top of the ppf on the front of the Y.
10 months? Ouch. Looks like I have a long wait for my Dec. 04 request...

Another update: The "lost plate" form I filed at the local DMV was rejected and sent back with a "Notice of Unprocessed Payment". Under Other: If BOTH plates were lost or stolen the same configuration cannot be reissued on any plate type.
I called the Sacramento office (916-657-8035) - prepare for a long wait. The Sac office basically said the local DMV offices have no clue. The Dec 24, 2021 date was when DMV recognized/approved the new plates but NOT when they were made or mailed. They told me I needed to wait 90 days not 60 days before calling back. The wait continues...... (ordered Aug 11, 2021)