Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dilemma that I believe I’ve thought through, but would like multiple set of eyes.

I’m temporarily working in California thru the end of 2014. I’m ready to buy a Model S but have the following considerations:

• Incremental tax – 9.0% vs. 6.5%, which equates to about $2500
  • Insurance – Minor incremental cost of $75-150 for the rest of the year
  • CVRP – I would not qualify due time frame limitations
  • Carpool participation in CA – This would be useful
  • Shipping the car to FL – My company will cover the costs, but concerned about damage as I do not get to choose the carrier. We did ship our FL cars to CA without issue, but this car ramps up the expectation.
  • 6-8 months earlier enjoyment of the vehicle in California :biggrin:

So bottom line is it worth $2600 to experience the Tesla Grin 6-8 months early?

Well at this point it wouldn't be 6-8 months if you're really only here until the end of the year. If you ordered tomorrow you wouldn't have the car until sometime in July, possibly late July as I think they are shutting down the factory for a bit that month for some re-tooling and employee vacations. So let's say you get your car by August 1, you really would only get 5 months to enjoy it. That being said, it's hard to say wait, because it's really hard to wait for this car once you've decided to get one! The head says wait, the heart says don't!

Whatever you decide, just make sure your new place in FL has the capability to have a NEMA 14-50 plug installed :)

Buy a loaner -"what can we do to put you in a loaner....today!"

You can catch a deal if there is some mileage on it, if it is a month or more old and near your specs. Still new and able to take the incentives. But lower state sales tax due to little lower price.

Thanks for the feedback and my thoughts.

"Drive the car to FL" - I'm not a cross country traveler type. Even if I was, the I-10 corridor of supercharging would be my preference. Regardless this isn't a big deal.

Time frame to enjoy/Buy an Inventory car - This was exactly my thinking when noting the enjoyment timeframe. I'm open to an Inventory Car if that opportunity arises.

"...make sure your FL home has the capability to have a NEMA 14-50 plug installed" - Still own the FL house and will be checking, but do not expect this to be an issue as it's a new home.

Another thought I didn't include in the original thinking is I will most likely be able to sell my existing 2006 BMW for more in CA than I would in FL; not necessarily expecting this to fully offset the incremental cost.

Thanks again to all

I would wait, you're probably not going to get the car until August & then you're going to stress when its shipped across country, paying Cali extra tax for politicians to waist is something I couldn't do, sounds like lots of changes taking place at the factory during July why not let things settle down & let them get things working smoothly & order your car in December & hopefully they might add a few features like cup holders & coat hooks.