Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering logic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
folks-
Please bear with me as this question would have been asked a million times.
I am almost deciding on a LR AWD white on white. Some questions:
1. Any difference ordering online vs going to a store?
2. Are there still referral programs? I have many friends who drive Teslas...
3. I would like to get a Performance, but, it looks like a 6k-7k difference. Any strategy to reduce this difference?
4. Most likely I will be going with the 19” wheels, unless someone is going to talk me out of it. Anyone?

Most importantly....

5. I don’t need the car “now” or even next week or month. Willing to wait. How do I use this to my advantage?

Thanks folks!

1. No
2. Yes - referral codes
3. I did a white/white with 19s NO performance. Didn't want to pay 5K for brakes, spoiler, 20s, track mode & pedals (that I bought for $20) Not tracking this car - track mode not important for me.
4. Do it. They are great wheels and larger revolutions at higher speeds.
5. Not really any advantages unless you want a MY2020. Then order in December or January.

Why is "larger revolutions at higher speeds" a benefit? And, since the overall circumference of the tire stays the same whether you have 18, 19 or 20" wheels (with the right selection of tires), the revolutions should stay the same? I'm puzzled.

Re: selection of wheels, there are pros and cons of both. Pros for the 18" wheel is better efficiency (wheel and tire is usually lighter 18" to 19"), better ride (more tire to absorb the bumps), less blow-outs (more tire sidewall to absorb impacts due to potholes), cost (tires for 18" wheels are typically less expensive than 19" or 20"), better selection of tires (usually more tires available for the smaller wheel size). Pros for the 19 or 20" wheels are improved handling, better looks (subjective).

Keith

Why is "larger revolutions at higher speeds" a benefit? And, since the overall circumference of the tire stays the same whether you have 18, 19 or 20" wheels (with the right selection of tires), the revolutions should stay the same? I'm puzzled.

Re: selection of wheels, there are pros and cons of both. Pros for the 18" wheel is better efficiency (wheel and tire is usually lighter 18" to 19"), better ride (more tire to absorb the bumps), less blow-outs (more tire sidewall to absorb impacts due to potholes), cost (tires for 18" wheels are typically less expensive than 19" or 20"), better selection of tires (usually more tires available for the smaller wheel size). Pros for the 19 or 20" wheels are improved handling, better looks (subjective).

Keith
Well, I would think larger wheels is more distance for the same number of revs?

1. Ordering online means you pay retail price or slight discount on New inventory. Purchasing in store may get you a bigger discount if you are willing to take something in local inventory that has a few miles on it (demo)
2. 1000 Supercharger miles
3.Could get sleeper P3D- that has performance speed but no perf spoiler, rims, suspension etc. for ~$2k more if you can find one
4. 19" look nicer imo but they will have a rougher ride then 18"
5. End of quarter usually has biggest possible discounts

If you are not in a hurry then wait for a deal to pop up. Try to find a good sales rep who will search for you. Waiting until end of quarter usually makes sense too. If you can find a P3D- in stock I would grab it because nobody knows if they will be making any more.

Keith
Tire Size Calculator

Circumference will not be the same. There will be less wheel revolutions with larger wheels/tires.

Tire Size Calculator

Circumference will not be the same. There will be less wheel revolutions with larger wheels/tires.
So you have the right idea but the wrong data. The 18" and 19" rims are essentially the same size.
235-45/18 and 235-40-19 difference is .1". youll get more of a difference from tire pressure.

Also even with at 2 rev/mile difference (LOL .0026% difference) The 18" wheel is more efficient anyway as it has less unsprung weight and it is more aerodynamic.

Apparently no one can reliably tell us if production of Stealth versions were truly limited or will be a regular item.
We don’t know how many were or are going to be built.

I picked up my Stealth this past Saturday to make sure I actually got one.

Some other points to consider.
Some new cars have definitely been rejected by potential owners due to various reasons, mostly cosmetic or unexpected mileage. These cars may have been properly repaired, simply moved to a different dealer, or just made available to a less discriminating owner.

I’d therefore strongly suggest that potential owners CAREFULLY review any potential purchases in great detail BEFORE they hand over final payment.