Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering my Model S - Should I order Full Self Driving Now or Later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks..
the sales person at the local Service center (which we stopped by on the test drive) mentioned that the B pillar cameras/camera in tun indicator lights (part of FSD) are not present if you order just EAP.

i think he is probabky wrong since the tesla update cleary states all car will have FSD HW..
All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

has anyone taken delivery of the new tesla with EAP w/o FSD confirm?

thnx

Last edited:
thanks..
the sales person at the local Service center (which we stopped by on the test drive) mentioned that the B pillar cameras/camera in tun indicator lights (part of FSD) are not present if you order just EAP.

i think he is probabky wrong since the tesla update cleary states all car will have FSD HW..
All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

has anyone taken delivery of the new tesla with EAP w/o FSD confirm?

thnx

No way this is correct. The cameras are there, they're just not activated. A lot of people are ordering with EAP but not FSD. Site even shows it can be activated after delivery.

Also as conclusive proof, 2 of those 4 cameras he mentioned are used for EAP purposes. So if you order EAP but not FSD, if those cameras didn't exist you wouldn't even be able to unlock EAP functionality.

I didn't order FSD but did add EAP. I'm hopeful when the FSD capability is released they will offer a one time option to buy in at the lower price. I think a lot of people didn't purchase FSD because it's still pretty far off so Tesla could make a lot of fast money by doing this. Win-win.

AP for $5000 seems like an obvious upgrade choice. FSD capability activates 4 additional cameras for another $3000. FSD is not legal in many places as far as I know. So, my question is, does EAP take advantage of the additional active cameras if I pay extra for FSD. Will I get any benefit now, before self driving is legally allowed. Will EAP work better?

AP for $5000 seems like an obvious upgrade choice. FSD capability activates 4 additional cameras for another $3000. FSD is not legal in many places as far as I know. So, my question is, does EAP take advantage of the additional active cameras if I pay extra for FSD. Will I get any benefit now, before self driving is legally allowed. Will EAP work better?
No one knows.

No one knows.

That is probably the most accurate statement anyone has made about EAP or FSD on the forums!

For those planning a lease, it probably doesn't make sense to include FSD, because by the time FSD might be operational, the lease may not have enough time left to make sense to spend money on FSD.

For those purchasing the car, and planning to keep it for at least 5-6 years or at least 80-100K miles, then buying FSD is really placing a bet on whether or not you believe Tesla will get enough of the FSD operational to provide any benefits. I'm expecting that as Tesla gets the software working, they will enable it in "driver assist" mode - an "Ultra AutoPilot" mode that will extend AP to safely operate in more conditions - and that will provide extra value over EAP.

We included FSD in our new S 100D, because we think we'll see support for the additional cameras at some point, and we wanted to lock in the activation price, and not risk a future price increase for FSD activation.

At some point there will be litigation after an avoidable accident in a car without AP, or with EAP but not FSD. The plaintiff will claim that by deliberately disabling safety equipment already installed in the vehicle, Tesla contributed to causing the accident. I believe the plaintiff will prevail, and Tesla will respond to the finding of liability by turning on FSD for all HW2 vehicles at no cost to the owner.