Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Nightmare - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Aussies..

I bought my first Model is in 2016, and it was a pretty straight forward process. Ordered the car, car turned up, it was scratched and such but it still turned up.

Tried ordering a new Model S this year.

Deposit paid start of May, soon after this the price dropped by around $5000. Tesla promised to honour and offer the new price to me.

It looks like they might sneakingly be reneging on this.

It is now the middle of August, the price is still unconfirmed. The order agreement states a figure $20000 higher than what I was told, this was because the ludicrous was charged on the order, but was going to be "free" (because of the existing Model S owner deal).

The delivery center in Melbourne don't know where the car is.. received this email on 25th July - no updates since:

" Just an update for you; we have received confirmation that a number of vehicles are currently in transit from the Fremont factory, however the launch of our system has been delayed so we are as yet unable to match these vehicles to orders. This should be resolved shortly, at which time we will begin prompting customers to complete the ‘checkout’ process which will allow a final invoice to be generated."

So, while I am not in any real rush to get the new model, there's no confirmation it has actually even been built, and they don't know where my car is if it has been. And there's no confirmation that I will be getting the price I was informed of.

It's probably just me and my luck, but has anyone else being given the run around like this from Tesla AU?

Does anyone know of any managers working at Tesla Australia? I feel like my only hope is to speak with Tesla US to try and get some answers.

Thanks

A great number of tesla owners waited a great number of years not knowing when their car would be delivered.
If its any help, my last tesla purchase was also caught up in a price change. The paperwork during the waiting / build / delivery time was not what the deal reflected. I was assured the final invoice for payment would be correct, and it was.
Also good luck trying to get a build date out of tesla including the US. Its all very secret.

Hi fellow Aussies..

I bought my first Model is in 2016, and it was a pretty straight forward process. Ordered the car, car turned up, it was scratched and such but it still turned up.

Deposit paid start of May, soon after this the price dropped by around $5000. Tesla promised to honour and offer the new price to me.

It is now the middle of August, the price is still unconfirmed. The order agreement states a figure $20000 higher than what I was told, this was because the ludicrous was charged on the order, but was going to be "free" (because of the existing Model S owner deal).

The delivery center in Melbourne don't know where the car is.. received this email on 25th July - no updates since:

" Just an update for you; we have received confirmation that a number of vehicles are currently in transit from the Fremont factory, however the launch of our system has been delayed so we are as yet unable to match these vehicles to orders. This should be resolved shortly, at which time we will begin prompting customers to complete the ‘checkout’ process which will allow a final invoice to be generated."

So, while I am not in any real rush to get the new model, there's no confirmation it has actually even been built, and they don't know where my car is if it has been. And there's no confirmation that I will be getting the price I was informed of.

It's probably just me and my luck, but has anyone else being given the run around like this from Tesla AU?

Does anyone know of any managers working at Tesla Australia? I feel like my only hope is to speak with Tesla US to try and get some answers.

Thanks

@ICUDoc states on another thread that the free Ludicrous upgrade has been discontinued, but as you paid a deposit when required that's the configuration you should have delivered at agreed price.
I'm at the UWA charger on Sunday morning until 10.00am, drop by and have a chat.

Hi fellow Aussies..

Thanks

Seems you found the “raven” thread were 2 other cars are delayed from March/April. It seems the upgrade has been very production constrained, all of the recent deliveries may have been existing inventory/loaners. At least you get the car with the upgrades.

I don't know. I ordered my Model S at the beginning of April, only for it to be delayed due to the upgrades.

My wife ordered an X in March. Neither of us have our vehicles yet. They ship on quarters, we understand that, however;

Over the last ~10 years we have bought new cars from Holden, Audi and Porsche and Tesla is BY FAR the worst service. Never have I dealt with a sales department who literally know nothing about vehicle timelines, shipping information etc. until the car is literally in their warehouse.

With both Audi and Porsche our cars were shipped from Germany and we were updated at least fortnightly through the process. We received calls to tell us 'it's on the boat', 'it's coming into Melbourne', 'it's coming through customs'.

When we call or email Tesla for an update 'Our ordering system is currently offline, we can't provide an update at the moment'.

In my opinion, Tesla have a unique product at the moment, so people who want a Tesla are generally willing to suffer through this. Once the other auto manufacturers catch up (whether traditional or startups) Tesla will have to lift their service game because I sure as *sugar* wouldn't buy another IF an alternative existed.

This probably also explains Elon’s recent tweet that the model 3 is not getting ‘air’,suspension. I guess they were planning to upgrade to the ’raven’ Maxwell suspension but are having issues increasing production. I also think scaling the suspension production was another reason to buy Maxwell.

I’m in the exact same boat. I ordered an S in April, my wife an X in May. Neither car is here. We have both completed the checkout process now, thankfully. I expect our cars to be on the same boats as the 3s. As I said in the other post, the sales service is so far below acceptable I wouldn’t buy a Tesla if there was an alternative.

I’m in the exact same boat. I ordered an S in April, my wife an X in May. Neither car is here. We have both completed the checkout process now, thankfully. I expect our cars to be on the same boats as the 3s. As I said in the other post, the sales service is so far below acceptable I wouldn’t buy a Tesla if there was an alternative.

Yeah, frustrating not knowing.

If they had said: "Delivery: November" when you placed the order it would be less painful because you would at least know what you're getting.

I know they have a new shipment of cars coming in, and it's probably quite a few hundred different types of S/X/3.

The model 3 is going to crush the Australian team as they could barely handle S/X orders.

The model 3 is going to crush the Australian team as they could barely handle S/X orders.
Apparently just about every Tesla Australia staff member has been drafted in to deliver cars, no matter what part of the business they work in. They are going to be delivering three times as many cars as they ever have in the past here. It may be less than... smooth.

Hi guys. Irish based poster here.

It’s seems this systems issue is rather significant. Hearing that it’s the reason for the delay in Model 3 launch to new markets also.

Does anyone know anything more about it? We’re now being told in Ireland that our Model 3 orders won’t arrive before November and it seems it’s all down to the systems issue.

Anyone able to set up a Reddit thread to see if anyone has more information? It would be extraordinary if an internal Tesla system was stopping them selling cars in a whole host of countries.

Ordered an Model S (Standard Range /Full Self-Driving Capability ) on 13.07.2019 (with delivery date August 2019).
No update so far on Tesla account... no VIN - no anticipated delivery date...

Was told that VIN will only be assigned once car is on the vessel to Sydney... Can this be correct and what are current delivery times for Model S??