Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. They go on calendar years. As far as AP 2.0, that's tough. The thing about tech companies, like Tesla, is that they rev things constantly, so we are always obsolete. When to jump in is the question. I got mine 14 months ago and now it's an antique. But I did get AP. And I am completely happy with my "old geezer"!

If I order for a Dec delivery, it is considered a 2015 MS.
But if I order for a Jan delivery, is it considered a 2016 MS?

Someone was saying wait for the AP 2.0. When's that suppose to come out and what are the new features?
Also worth considering is that you can claim the tax credit in 2015 if you have it delivered before the end of the year, otherwise you are waiting more than a year to get the $7500 federal tax rebate.

If I order for a Dec delivery, it is considered a 2015 MS.
But if I order for a Jan delivery, is it considered a 2016 MS?
Someone was saying wait for the AP 2.0. When's that suppose to come out and what are the new features?
What about the CA $2500 money back? Do you have to wait until end of year to get that or is that immediate?

Yes, it would be a 2015 if delivered in December. I would push to 2016.
No one knows when AP 2.0 will be out, if ever, or what it will do. Current hardware may work fine for full AP. Under this logic, you could be waiting forever as AP 3.0 will follow after.
The CA rebate is not tied to year, but the Fed tax rebate will help for 2015 tax year. You file for the CA rebate and they send a check--it is not tied to your tax return cycle.

See the web site in my signature for more ways to save.

What about the CA $2500 money back? Do you have to wait until end of year to get that or is that immediate?
They are changing the rules for high income people in 2016, so if you make over a certain threshold you won't qualify for the $2500. So it's best to get the order in before the end of the year if you happen to have a high income. You can apply for the CA rebate after you have your tags and usually takes about 6 weeks to get the check so it's not "immediate". Plus you can use my referral link and get $1k off your purchase but that too expires at the end of the year.

Eligibility guidelines | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

Last edited:
They are changing the rules for high income people in 2016, so if you make over a certain threshold you won't qualify for the $2500. So it's best to get the order in before the end of the year if you happen to have a high income. You can apply for the CA rebate after you have your tags and usually takes about 6 weeks to get the check so it's not "immediate". Plus you can use my referral link and get $1k off your purchase but that too expires at the end of the year.Eligibility guidelines | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

Do we know what is considered high income that won't qualify you for the $2500 CA check?

Also can I technically order right now, to get that $1000 discount, but have it delivered in January or February or March of next year to make it a 2016 model?

Do you get your deposit back if you change your mind?

Do we know what is considered high income that won't qualify you for the $2500 CA check?

Also can I technically order right now, to get that $1000 discount, but have it delivered in January or February or March of next year to make it a 2016 model?

California limits hybrid rebates to households earning less than $500,000 - LA Times

yes you can decide when you want delivery, so you can order now and select January 2016. You have one week from the time you place your order to change your mind before it is considered confirmed and "not refundable"

IIRC you can set the delivery date upto 6 months in advance in the online ordering mechanism, but I believe people have called their DSs and pushed it even further.

No, your deposit is non-refundable in most cases. If you don't qualify for financing Tesla [used do? maybe still does?] give you your deposit back, otherwise I don't remember any conditions that would trigger it.

As I understand it in the UK (in case relevant to anyone) you have 2 weeks to change your mind, and get your deposit back, and you can advance order 9 months and still get current price AND Government GBP 5,000 subsidy - that might be important to some folk when it is phased out i.e. its based on order date and allows up to 9 months for delivery.