Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only bought non VIN parts - Tesla didn’t invent the concept of VIN restricted parts. OEMs have done this for awhile to prevent people from making lookalikes of their special edition models.
Yes, that's what I am trying to do as well, all those parts I'm buying are "Over the counter" (No VIN restriction).
But SC person said I need to have the VIN for the car for them to be able to order these parts cause they can't even "see" those parts once I checked in with my car (which is older model).

Did you do this using App or you went to the SC and not sign in and just give them the list?

Yes, that's what I am trying to do as well, all those parts I'm buying are "Over the counter" (No VIN restriction).
But SC person said I need to have the VIN for the car for them to be able to order these parts cause they can't even "see" those parts once I checked in with my car (which is older model).

Did you do this using App or you went to the SC and not sign in and just give them the list?
i bought something that didnt come with my car originally and it was fine

Reactions: electricar
Update: Today I got the message back in app and it just says "Your parts have arrived. Please pick them up by so-and-so date".
I wrote back asking for the invoice/price breakdown. I guess this is the way to do it then (via the app)?
Let's see if they were able to give me all those parts.

Also going through the app workaround to order parts... We'll see what happens. One note is set the fake service appointment way into the future so Tesla's software don't auto charge you $100 for cancelling appointment within 24 hours.

Online parts form has no ordering option even for OTC items. Looks like need to fill and get application form approval. Form is designed for shops.

Quite a mess trying to copy silicon valley software robot centric methodology on a high cost asset with complex and varied issue profile.

Original 2013 MS owner. Dealing with Tesla is 10x worse after warranty honeymoon. My last service appointment request was quoted a $450 diagnostic fee before talking to a service human with a problem that I already fully diagnosed. Migrating towards independents like many post warranty.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Just completed ordering parts. Here are notes on process. Perhaps it will change again but for now, this is how it works

- Make service appointment per post #2 Set service appointment like 1 month out (Tesla charge you $100 if cancel within 24 hours of appointment so avoid getting caught in the software programming)

- go back and forth via text in the app on PN and quantities. This went on for a few iterations (adjusted quantity, removed expensive items I could get at auto store like Tesla's $32/qt DEXRON VI ATF) Get a response every few hours. Tesla side kept making mistakes (changing order would bring back items I've cancelled previously) Finally got to what I wanted. Actually still a mistake remain by including a restricted part that they removed earlier but good enough since I wanted the restricted part to begin with haha.

- Picked up and paid. Tesla marked the service appointment as completed.

Can be frustrating as you sink into what appears to be Tesla's "convert all expertise knowledge into computer data base + low cost transactional personnel" effort. There is no parts guy with experience you will be speaking/texting to ever. Just all ordering/payment transactional personnel.

My order was for drive axle seals and not for casual consumer DIYer. Perhaps buying accessories, cabin air filters (not exactly trivial to change on early Model S) for the car which might be possible with walk-in. But at least got the parts after a few days of app text back and forth.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
You’re right about the cabin air filter. After going through the brain damage of getting to my Model S cabin air filter I changed it even though it looked brand new just to justify all that work. I doubt I’ll go through that again. I’ll probably just change the HEPA filter every 5 years.

I just went through this

on the App choose Service
Request Service
Type of service = Other
next select Something Else
type in what you want, in my case I asked how to order part#, how much and how to get
The choose service center and date and time
They got back to me with the price and stock, then cancelled the appointment.

This is a long way of working.
They should have an option for ordering parts in the app. It would make it more understandable and effecient.
I followed the instructions above and got a price for the part after 3 days waiting.

So I could order MS stuff fine even the stuff that's not part of my older model.
But I want to get MX badge as well because someone mentioned to minimize the hood gap you can use MX badge.
To get the MX items the SC guy actually said they couldn't do it without a VIN from MX. What they did though is they just put in one of their service car MX and then they added those to my invoice.
All good. This process took a while though, couple of weeks at least especially on the MX items. The MS items was like 2-3 days and was fine.

Another update on somewhat broken Parts ordering process. Tesla is making it harder and harder and maybe soon will become wedged again

Generally I've been setting the fake appointment further out (1-2 weeks) to avoid getting caught in the 24hr cancellation window where Tesla computer probably auto charge $100 for cancellation (get this warning when setting up appointment)

Tesla's cloud responding to app's fake service request to buy parts seem to be getting slower and slower. No response until getting very close to the fake appointment date. If no response for say 36hr prior to appointment, I'll be force to cancel to avoid robo charge.

Walking in is not a solution in many cases as SCs don't even stock many DIY parts (eg qt bottle of ATF for the gearbox)

Anyhow, maybe almost broken again.

you can select the soonest available appointment date to get first a quick feedback answer
and then move the date for a later appointment.

Also, search if you never received any e-mail from someone at the SC.
If so, this is a good way to get someone looking at your request.

But I agree, there should be a way to mention "No appointment needed".

Reactions: howardc64
you can select the soonest available appointment date to get first a quick feedback answer
and then move the date for a later appointment.

Also, search if you never received any e-mail from someone at the SC.
If so, this is a good way to get someone looking at your request.

But I agree, there should be a way to mention "No appointment needed".

haha nice trick! gotta stay 1 step ahead of Tesla's programmers and robo support :)

I have emails from long time SC service people (car owner since 2013) All dead now as they poofed after stock price cash out. One is at Rivian now looking for the next stock ride. Can't blame them as auto techs looking to cash in on stocks that IT people have enjoyed forever haha.

Set a fake appointment to get parts 1+ week in advance. I'm 48 hours from appointment wo any app msg contact. Probably going to cancel to avoid 24hr cancellation robo charge. Don't have time to watch Tesla app closely every hour for the next 24 hours.

Maybe Tesla's half broken parts ordering procedure might be rotting towards completely broken again. It seems they really don't want to sell parts (no procedure, no parts knowledgeable person at SC other than mechanics whom you are not allowed to meet post warranty) Perhaps they are only doing it per some governmental law+pressure.

This is probably all easier under warranty honeymoon (probably all M3 owners still, at least powertrain). Tesla charged $0 bringing the Model S for the common rattle complaints in the early days. Sometimes unable to reproduce. Perhaps that has changed but I secretly think its by design to keep warranted customers happy to get word of mouth advertising (Tesla don't pay for ads ever which is impressive)

@howardc64, I don't see how they can charge you if you specified "Parts Only" in the APP under "Service" "Other" category, unless you failed to respond to one of their updates on the "Service Appointment". If they give you any problem, please ask them to explain how you can order parts-only so you can tell us all how Tesla wants this accomplished. Thanks.

@howardc64, I don't see how they can charge you if you specified "Parts Only" in the APP under "Service" "Other" category, unless you failed to respond to one of their updates on the "Service Appointment". If they give you any problem, please ask them to explain how you can order parts-only so you can tell us all how Tesla wants this accomplished. Thanks.

Yes, as you know, there is no Parts Only field in the app. Just "Other" and would need to enter "parts only" key word in the description. I've had no updates and no contact.

Seems logical Tesla programmers would set computer algorithm to prioritizing real service requests for quicker human response.

Given the inability to reach human in this cyborg machine, I find myself giving up and get source elsewhere rather than wanting to try and find someone to erase a robo charge. Just need a couple of rear seat cushion clips this time and common from Toyota and even Aliexpress. Probably not an issue this time until need to deal with Tesla only parts.

3 weeks ago was trying to order Gen1 MS gearbox oil. Same result, no reply as it got to fake appointment date. Decided to drive to SC, counter girl said we don't sell, check in the back and said only in drums. Also implied I'm DIY rather they don't have customers like me. Online parts list showed Quarts available but I guess need to use broken procedure to get quart bottles shipped to SC for pickup. Tesla use South Korean gearbox oil manufacturer. Tesla bottle online unlabeled with any spec. Through a bunch of google research, I found out is most likely Dexron HP (Tesla PN notes a oil standards testing #) and bought elsewhere. Anyhow, typical hoops to jump though on Tesla DIY. haha

Last edited:
I'm reading all I can find on the facelift conversion. What's the final consensus on the model X emblem? Is it preferred over the S to make the underbite look better?
I hadn't heard about the MX emblem reducing the underbite. I have a facelift bumper cover on my car with the regular Model S emblem. I plan to upgrade the hood to the newer one. The only additional thing to do in order to make it fit, is to change the striker on the new hood so it latches on your first-gen Model S. I don't know if the old hood's striker can be transplanted, yet.

I'm in the Chicagoland area.

Has anyone found a way to successfully order parts from Tesla without having to go to a service center 20 miles away?

Sure, I use the app to make a service request, however no one is obligated to call/contact you back. The app is a joke.

I wish Elon would try to order a part. He needs to go through what ordinary people go through for a change.

Last edited: