Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ordering problem - want to add seats but suddenly it's too late and i forfeit...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made an order last October for a non-perf 85D (my second tesla). It's been a while and I got a few messages about progress. I got a couple calls and got back to my contact person last night and he said I might be able to add in the new performance seats (just became available for non-perf a couple of days ago).

He called me back today and said its too late on this car to make changes (would have been nice to have been contacted when I reached that point, is that standard, maybe he tried?). So I am left with either losing the deposit and making an entirely new order (with perf seats but new higher prices on many things), or taking this car.

I am trying to decide what to do and if I should feel irritated about it - I'm definitely unhappy at potentially losing the deposit. I know some brave souls take a new car and then resale them a little higher than list because of demand. My expectations were that they would contact me before it was at this point so I could at least figure out what to do. It's double irritating as someone who got an S in 2012.

My new car would have been 85D sunroof, leather seats, upgraded sound, dual chargers, silver (or was it metallic silver), most options except that crazy expensive upgraded headliner. Anyone want to buy a brand new s85D silver in a couple of weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
People have cancelled and re-booked a new order late in 2014 in order to get a 2015 Vin. Why can't they just not build the car you ordered and let you order a new one and transfer the deposit?

Talk to Tesla, tell them how you're feeling, and ask about options. I know there are people on this forum who have been permitted to transfer their deposit onto a new car with different features than the one they originally ordered after production. No promises, but Tesla has often been willing to accommodate individual requests.
Walter

I'd guess that at some point a week or two or three prior to actually going in to production your car's production is locked in with parts scheduled to come in, etc. Changes at that point are quite costly. Also it sounds like the seats won't actually be available until about May so your production would be pushed off until then or June maybe. If they could use your current car as a loaner they might be able to do something.

I would be terribly annoyed. But a previous poster made a vey good point about where you are in production. Since every car is built to order, except loaners, it could be hard for them to unload at full price if it is too far down the line. Check the status of exactly where the car is in production. If it's not on the line already, I don't see any reason why they couldn't move your deposit. I would push hard. It's a lot of money to simply throw out.

Good luck.

I would be terribly annoyed. But a previous poster made a vey good point about where you are in production. Since every car is built to order, except loaners, it could be hard for them to unload at full price if it is too far down the line. Check the status of exactly where the car is in production. If it's not on the line already, I don't see any reason why they couldn't move your deposit. I would push hard. It's a lot of money to simply throw out.

Good luck.
There was (at least) one guy (was it sundoc in Toronto) who had his MS85 sitting in the delivery point lot - and was allowed to switch to a P85D order with his deposit. At the time, seemed like no big deal to switch an order. If the OP's car is not even built yet, escalate it at TM above your DES.

There was (at least) one guy (was it sundoc in Toronto) who had his MS85 sitting in the delivery point lot - and was allowed to switch to a P85D order with his deposit. At the time, seemed like no big deal to switch an order. If the OP's car is not even built yet, escalate it at TM above your DES.

Seems like an upgrade to a P85D would be very profitable for Tesla and it would make business sense to allow the switch, even at the last minute. Upgrade of seats, not so much.

Tesla has business to run. Every change has some cost associated with it (even if only "paperwork" of reallocating parts for a car early during parts sourcing). In general, Tesla seems very accommodating, when they can be. But at some point, the change needs to generate enough additional profit to outweigh the cost of the change.

I'm regret that the OP did not have a clear understanding of the date when changes became too costly for Tesla. IMHO, the day I pressed the confirm button, I locked into the configuration I specified. If Tesla lets me make a change after confirming, they are doing me a favor. But I have no grounds for being upset with Tesla if they are unwilling to make the change. Build to order is nice but has consequences that start before the car is on the production line. The deposit helps us remember this.

Seems like an upgrade to a P85D would be very profitable for Tesla and it would make business sense to allow the switch, even at the last minute. Upgrade of seats, not so much.

Tesla has business to run. Every change has some cost associated with it (even if only "paperwork" of reallocating parts for a car early during parts sourcing). In general, Tesla seems very accommodating, when they can be. But at some point, the change needs to generate enough additional profit to outweigh the cost of the change.

I'm regret that the OP did not have a clear understanding of the date when changes became too costly for Tesla. IMHO, the day I pressed the confirm button, I locked into the configuration I specified. If Tesla lets me make a change after confirming, they are doing me a favor. But I have no grounds for being upset with Tesla if they are unwilling to make the change. Build to order is nice but has consequences that start before the car is on the production line. The deposit helps us remember this.

Great perspective. I totally agree. Once you confirm your order you've signed a contract saying THIS is the car I want. Any changes after that are purely up to Tesla's discretion and should be seen as a favor.