Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I want to make sure I'm thinking through this scenario correctly, assuming that the referral program doesn't change by the end of the year. Could one order a Model X in December and with a referral code get the unlimited supercharging so that the delivery would be in 2018 thereby putting the tax credit in the 2018 tax year?

Thanks!

Yes, @DangerDWH, that is correct - the rules state that the order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and December 31, 2017. So you should be all set - you would get the $1,000 off and the free unlimited supercharging because you would have ordered by December 31, 2017 and then you would be eligible for the $7,500 credit when you take possession of your car in 2018 (provided you receive it during the full $7,500 phase - which at earliest, should end March 31, 2018, if it doesn't go through June 30, 2018).

Reactions: BagheeraNY
Double confirming as well. I called Tesla and asked the very same question and was told if ordered by Dec 31, 2017 you should be eligible for $1K off and free unlimited supercharging.

I've asked this question to my Tesla sales person and a few others and was told the opposite that I had to take delivery in 2017. So very likely you will get false info from people who don't know but only pretend to...

If you order it and the order says 'Free Supercharging' on it, it definitely is a 'feature' of the order and the car. It doesn't have anything to do with the timing of the delivery, as you saw.

And, in case you've not seen it done, the best way to get a referral on your order is to login to My Tesla, then go and click on the ts.la link you want to use. That takes you to the Design Studio with the referral already 'baked in' and you can then configure your car and complete the order. No adding the referral afterwards and it already says 'Free Supercharging' and has the $1,000 USD/etc. off.