Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering S60 -- $5k left in budget -- Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SrSly

Dec 16, 2016
Austin
Good Morning -

Let's assume you are placing an order for a 60 kWh car (with pano & premium seats) and have $5k remaining in your budget. The below listed options are things you like and are strongly considering. What would you do / how would you prioritize these?

- Upgrade to 'D'
- Add AP 2.0
- Add PUP
- Skip them all and save $5k

Yes, I know it ultimately boils down to a personal decision; but I'm curious to hear what [experienced and knowledgeable] others think.

Thank you in advance for your input!

AP seems the obvious choice to me. The $5k for AWD to get a couple tenths to 60 and a couple miles more range just didn't add up to me as I'll basically never need the traction advantage of AWD.

Although you can always add AP later, you can't add the "D" or the PUP, so there's that to consider too.

OP - get the D. AP can be added later via software. While I like many features of PUP, if I had to chose D or PUP, I'd go with D.

Are you financing or cash?

If your financing get all 3 because it's going to be such a small amount added to the payment. Cash on the other hand makes it a little more tricky.
I hate when people think like that.

You're still paying the same amount of money (technically more due to interest). A few drops in the bucket here, a few drops in the bucket there, a few drops in the bucket elsewhere, and bam instead of drops you have water running out of a hose and you can't keep up.

He has a budget and wants to stick to it, good for him.

Reactions: energy7
AP seems the obvious choice to me. The $5k for AWD to get a couple tenths to 60 and a couple miles more range just didn't add up to me as I'll basically never need the traction advantage of AWD.

Although you can always add AP later, you can't add the "D" or the PUP, so there's that to consider too.
IMHO beyond the AWD adding minimal speed benefits the added traction makes for a much better handling/riding car. I've owned both RWD and AWD teslas and live in FLA and I wouldn't recommend the RWD car.

Adding "D" - unless you drive in snow/ice i would skip it. You wont miss it day to day.

Autopilot: you can buy it, but you wont actually get it right away. Youre basicaly preordering a feature that Tesla says will come out eventually. Could be days away or months away. Plus you can buy it a later time.

PuP- the powered liftgate is the main selling point here, and now centilated seats is included if you get any of the premium seats (now available on all models)

Save $5k- save it if you can think of another plan for it. Invest it somewhere etc.

It's not just the traction advantage, it superior highway range that the dual motors offers also.

OP - get the D. AP can be added later via software. While I like many features of PUP, if I had to chose D or PUP, I'd go with D.

I hate when people think like that.

You're still paying the same amount of money (technically more due to interest). A few drops in the bucket here, a few drops in the bucket there, a few drops in the bucket elsewhere, and bam instead of drops you have water running out of a hose and you can't keep up.

He has a budget and wants to stick to it, good for him.

I used to sell cars so it's a habit response. Always get them into what they want, not what their budget is.... alll I can say is that I'm glad I'm out of that business.

Reactions: Max*
If I was on the same budget I'd go with 'D' and AutoPilot but would forego premium seats. That's actually exactly what I did when I got my S in August, and I actually quite happy with the regular seats. That's completely personal choice of course...

I'd get EAP over D (though I went with both on my car). I even threw in FSD because it will come sooner than people think with the speed of regulatory action across the states. PUP I added but I would've been fine without. I think that is the easiest to skip. D is important for safety and for extra range. EAP is great for convenience but can be added on later (though if financing it is appealing to get it all financed together rather than paying $5k out of pocket later).

I would go with D or PUP. You can't add either of those later. You can always add AP later if you want it.

In Texas I don't think you will ever wish you had AWD. It is more to break if you plan on owning it out of warranty... etc.

The added leather, lighting... etc. in the premium package is really nice and I am glad I have it in mine.

Just my .02

I would go with D or PUP. You can't add either of those later. You can always add AP later if you want it.

In Texas I don't think you will ever wish you had AWD. It is more to break if you plan on owning it out of warranty... etc.

The added leather, lighting... etc. in the premium package is really nice and I am glad I have it in mine.

Just my .02

What added leather? Ive never understood what added leather the PuP adds. The things it states on the website are already leather without the package.

Only difference i know of is adding some alcantara to the dash