Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering S60 -- $5k left in budget -- Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Austin you'll very rarely need the AWD you get from going D. EAP > D > Premium Upgrades.

Autopilot and its successors will go down as the the defining feature of Tesla cars, not that they're electric. Driving an EV is more fun, but driving an Autopilot vehicle is revelatory in comparison.

Reactions: OBX John
If your budget is final (i.e. won't add anything later), I'd add EAP now. You will have AP1.0 functionality by the time you get your car and most of EAP should be ready in the first half of next year I think.

I think you get a lot more from AP2.0 than you can from D. This is my personal opinion, but you need to think about what matters to you. D might be able to handle a bit better and get you an almost negligible increase in range (perf improvement small but not negligible). However, autopilot will give you great convenience for highway driving -- something you can truly experience day to day (can you really tell D day to day?). Maybe it depends on your driving habits / conditions to see what matters to you more.

Good Morning -

Let's assume you are placing an order for a 60 kWh car (with pano & premium seats) and have $5k remaining in your budget. The below listed options are things you like and are strongly considering. What would you do / how would you prioritize these?

- Upgrade to 'D'
- Add AP 2.0
- Add PUP
- Skip them all and save $5k

Yes, I know it ultimately boils down to a personal decision; but I'm curious to hear what [experienced and knowledgeable] others think.

Thank you in advance for your input!

I'ld get the D.

I was in your place back in September and, I ordered a stock MS-60 with limited upgrades. No D, no autopilot, no PUP, if it's any indicator I don't regret not adding any hardware options (dual motor, PUP) but I did go back & add autopilot since taking delivery. The decision to wait cost me 1k, because had I ordered the feature in the design studio it would have cost 2.5k, but after i confirmed my order the price bumped to 3k then cost 3.5k after delivery.
I came to Tesla from non-performance ICE cars & a Volt, so the 60 still feels like a carrier launch. I've done P100D launches and yes there is a huge difference but that car looks to similar to cost twice as much as my car. So my .02 or if I had to do it agin, i'd buy the enhanced auto now and save the rest to tint & expel wrap the whole car.You're getting rear cup holders / USB plus Autopilot 2.0 hardware stock so in my book you already won. I use the MS as my daily commuter 40 miles roundtrip and for minor road trips 250-300 miles 3-4 times/year.
good luck making the tough choice, either way you'll have a Telsa so you're WINNING!

I gave my choice but it is not my car. The right question should have been what are your priorities?

What is a need and your most desirable want?

After reading the responses in this thread, it came down to EAP or D. Honestly, I was really torn between the two but ultimately decided to add the EAP.

However, after reading about recent (seemingly unpopular?) changes to AP (speed restriction, etc) I'm having serious second thoughts. I'm thinking it might be prudent to see how it plays out and then evaluate if it's still something I want.

I have a few days left to change my order at no cost and am strongly leaning towards removing EAP and adding 'D.'

As many have pointed out, the car still has the capability and EAP can be added at any time (albeit at an additional cost of 20%).

I appreciate everyone's input!!

I hope you see why my earlier suggestion was for you to get the D now for 5K. My strategy when buying a car like this was to add everything I could at the factory and use extra $ to upgrade software later.

Hence my original order was simply...

Black 60D to save $ by ordering before 2000 increase.

Black headliner because to looked better with...
Next gen black Seats. The basic ones were bad for my lower back
Pano because I'm shallow it seems
Dual Charger to save 500 Later

I ended up with an inventory car with

Midnight 60D which cost more.

UHFS because I did the research and found the best aftermarket upgrade costs 2200 and didn't want non Tesla folks ripping up my baby plus labour added more $

Cold weather package...an owner said it's 1000 for resale ability and cheaper than running heat in a S60d when it's cold. We'll see.

Next gen seats - if I'ld wait I'ld have paid the 500 to modify my original and get the new basic seats for 0 because they are comfortable and o would save 2000. But I wanted car before 2017.

PUP. Its the only factory installed features I didn't get in my original that I wanted. Now after research...I don't regret getting it. It makes the car feel like an 80K automobile should.

I added EAP as my first software upgrade and deactivated FSD. Saved some $.

Now this is my dream car and I'll call her "????" Wife says she doesn't mind as long as I don't sleep with her.

Reactions: BEEZR
If you drive on the freeway at all I'd do EAP for sure.

Have you tried the textile seats? They are pretty darn good. Are you set on premium seats? Are you doing the all glass roof?

My order of prioritizing would be....
EAP and all glass roof are must-haves.
Dual motors
PIP (altho I'd personally consider skipping and saving the cash)
Skip SAS, Premium sound, cold weather, FSD, dual chargers