Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Tesla in South Korea, Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience ordering Tesla in South Korea?

I might have job offer in SK, 50 miles south from Seoul working on a US military base.
I'm a US citizen, contract for 3 years.
I would want to ship the car back to US after 3 years if I move. How much would that cost?

Is this even possible? Thank you.

That’s it? That’s cheap. I don’t think it’s worth getting actually lol. Will probably get dinged up crazy
shipping is always the cheapest part. then you might have to face homologation, registration, customs and imports, etc. military affiliation always has some sort of time-bound exemptions.... but in general, bringing cars across borders isnt a simple task

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Shipping is not the only charge that you will face. 관세 will be a huge chunk of money that you must face as well.
Make sure to double check.
This won't apply if he is SOFA.

OP, I'd check to make sure superchargers will work. I'm not sure if you can charge at home easily. Pyeongtaek is new but I don't think it has any charging infrastructure if you live on base.

I think it'd probably work out though and I would do it if I were you. I wanted to do the same working for the embassy there, but yongsan had no way for me to charge so I shipped an American spec hyundai and sold it when I left. Bought a M3 for my next post in mexico this summer.

Do they have chargers there?

LA dosa not have enough super chargers for what I’m assuming is political lobbying (corruption)

Korea is even worse, where systematic racism actually exists in its laws. (Korean american, myself)

unless they have a good amount of Hyundai/kia/ electric cars with J-772 plugs I think it’ll be hard for you to charge.

I highly doubt car auto makers of korea would make it easy for Tesla to make its mark and get a cut into their domestic sales.

This won't apply if he is SOFA.

OP, I'd check to make sure superchargers will work. I'm not sure if you can charge at home easily. Pyeongtaek is new but I don't think it has any charging infrastructure if you live on base.

I think it'd probably work out though and I would do it if I were you. I wanted to do the same working for the embassy there, but yongsan had no way for me to charge so I shipped an American spec hyundai and sold it when I left. Bought a M3 for my next post in mexico this summer.

I forgot about SOFA status, haha.
Home charger is not rare but challenging sometimes. Unless you will live at the house with the garage, you must accommodate with the apartment complex.

Do they have chargers there?

LA dosa not have enough super chargers for what I’m assuming is political lobbying (corruption)

Korea is even worse, where systematic racism actually exists in its laws. (Korean american, myself)

unless they have a good amount of Hyundai/kia/ electric cars with J-772 plugs I think it’ll be hard for you to charge.

I highly doubt car auto makers of korea would make it easy for Tesla to make its mark and get a cut into their domestic sales.

I seriously have no clue what you are trying to say.

Just search naver in Korean.... You'll find all your answers there.

There's plenty of mode 3 in Korea. There's super chargers there but not abundant like California.

Don't import. The car won't match/work(plug type, charger current, MCU nor LTE will work. Different region). Just get a lease or forget a Tesla until you move back here.

My wife read an Op-Ed in the Korean press last weekend that was upset about nearly all of the government subsidies for electric cars going to a non-Korean company. If Hyundai made a 3 competitor we would have ordered one...

Hyundai could easily make one as demonstrated by the happy accident which was the Ioniq. They obviously decided that it was too good of an EV so they made sure the second generation of the ioniq was in many ways worse than the original one. Cant have people just have an EV as their only car! EVs need to be city cars and you need to continue using your gas car and pay for servicing etc.