Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Tesla Model 3 in Michigan...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a bunch of questions about ordering a Tesla living in Michigan, and most indications were to start a reservation. I did that, and now I'm getting a better picture as things are popping up - Like how they want me to pay for the car fully once the VIN is assigned immediately (then it's 72 hours). I had to ask the local center how long it takes between VIN assignment and delivery, heard 2-3 weeks. They then say that a MPVA is generated once the VIN is provided that has all the information. I've read online I can use something called Plaid, or wire the money, or send a check. Local center says a cashier's check mailed to Fremont, CA.

I don't want to give money ahead of time for something so expensive that I haven't even seen yet. Has anyone just held onto the cashier's check until time of delivery at the center in Michigan?

How's everyone's insurance rates in MI? I quoted a new Model 3 and the rates are fairly absurd, about 2-3 times that of a normal ICE vehicle.

wanted to add that the check would be over $10k, so I am not sure if a personal check would be accepted.

Personal check and pay at the delivery could be a possibility only in legal states. It's illegal in Michigan to pay on the spot in Michigan so you have to pay California first. Michigan needs proof that the money was received outside of its state.

Thus, when it's time for payment, Tesla will withdraw your money from your financial institution (anyone that uses ACH would be fine).

That means you'll input your bank/credit union information on your Account page on the Tesla website. If you didn't do that, Tesla will remind you to do it. Because the money has to be received at an offsite outside of Michigan, you won't get your car unless you pay well in advance first.

Personal check and pay at the delivery could be a possibility only in legal states. It's illegal in Michigan to pay on the spot in Michigan so you have to pay California first. Michigan needs proof that the money was received outside of its state.

Thus, when it's time for payment, Tesla will withdraw your money from your financial institution (anyone that uses ACH would be fine).

That means you'll input your bank/credit union information on your Account page on the Tesla website. If you didn't do that, Tesla will remind you to do it. Because the money has to be received at an offsite outside of Michigan, you won't get your car unless you pay well in advance first.

Ah, so it would be legal to use ACH for my checking account to pay for my car in Michigan? As in, once I get my VIN, I could put the money into my account, add the bank info to the Tesla app under my account and use that to pay? This was not offered by the advisor. I'd feel more comfortable doing this versus mailing a bank cashier's check to CA.

Ah, so it would be legal to use ACH for my checking account to pay for my car in Michigan?
Yes. It's just like mailing from Michigan but the actual receiver is in California. Instead of snail mail, it's ACH.
...As in, once I get my VIN, I could put the money into my account, add the bank info to the Tesla app under my account and use that to pay?...
Yes. In your Tesla Account, there's a place to input your credit card (for other services and not for buying a car) but usually, there's no place to input ACH info until Tesla sends you an e-mail to alert you that it has created a page for your to input your ACH.

Don't input your ACH until you got money in it because we have no idea when Tesla would take your money, next minute or next week...

This was not offered by the advisor...
I've done this 3 times already and many others reported the same too. Sometimes, you might need to educate your Michigan advisor.
I'd feel more comfortable doing this versus mailing a bank cashier's check to CA.
Agreed.