Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering the Performance Model without the upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm paying that $8k premium, I'd want all the extra accessories as I am paying for them. Those wheels r probably $3k by themselves. Big brake and wheel Ilooks more aesthetically pleasing for me. I know people value range over bigger tires/brakes but hell id take the 21" wheels then trade them with cash on their end.

If I'm paying that $8k premium, I'd want all the extra accessories as I am paying for them. Those wheels r probably $3k by themselves. Big brake and wheel Ilooks more aesthetically pleasing for me. I know people value range over bigger tires/brakes but hell id take the 21" wheels then trade them with cash on their end.
I hear ya' - 8K is a lot of money. Do you know if the 19" will fit the enhanced brakes?

I just changed my order and dropped the free performance extras, opting for the smaller wheels. The 21" wheels LOOK better, but I don't really dig the skinny rubber! Wouldn't the fatter tires give a little softer ride, and maybe better traction on snow or whatever?

I'm guessing the lowered suspension I eschewed would also lower the seat height, and my 69 y.o. 6'2" body might complain (e.g., my old Kia Soul fits me much better than my wife's Kona!) But mostlyI wanted the extra range. We like to take 1 or 2 day trips from our Norman OK home. The only Superchargers in OK are in OKC and Tulsa. The extra 35 mi range could make a difference...

And, it's still 0-60 in 3.5s! . Sorry for the meandering post!

Reactions: azjohn
I just changed my order and dropped the free performance extras, opting for the smaller wheels. The 21" wheels LOOK better, but I don't really dig the skinny rubber! Wouldn't the fatter tires give a little softer ride, and maybe better traction on snow or whatever?

I'm guessing the lowered suspension I eschewed would also lower the seat height, and my 69 y.o. 6'2" body might complain (e.g., my old Kia Soul fits me much better than my wife's Kona!) But mostlyI wanted the extra range. We like to take 1 or 2 day trips from our Norman OK home. The only Superchargers in OK are in OKC and Tulsa. The extra 35 mi range could make a difference...

And, it's still 0-60 in 3.5s! . Sorry for the meandering post!

Completely agree!! Seems most people on the forum think they are losing money by not getting the free upgrade, I want nothing to do with a lowered suspension and 21" wheels

Thanks, at least 2 of us think that way.

But I mostly posted to pose the question of whether the package you and I (and others, I'm sure) ordered will push our delivery dates back. Some seem to think the most expensive models will roll out first, which would be the Performance, and Tesla seemed to default to the full-tilt boogie P version on my menu...

And the 21" wheels are awesome. On "my" red Y, the Gemini wheels would be much cooler in black than grey!

Logistically, paint shop takes the most time, then the choice of interior. So which color of paint will have the most impact on the time of delivery second to interior.

Gemini wheels shared the same part as LR AWD, so I would expect Gemini wheels would be the default configuration being manufactured first to minimize parts swap on the production lines.

No performance option for me either. I will never drive 155 mph and I’d rather not have to replace those 21” tires every couple of years. I can get pedal covers aftermarket. No lowered (fixed) suspension for me.

I will need 0-60 in 3.5 seconds every day on highways and that 35 mile additional range may come in handy.

No performance option for me either. I will never drive 155 mph and I’d rather not have to replace those 21” tires every couple of years. I can get pedal covers aftermarket. No lowered (fixed) suspension for me.

I will need 0-60 in 3.5 seconds every day on highways and that 35 mile additional range may come in handy.

You'll probably be replacing regular all season tires tires every two years especially with plenty of spirited 0-60 runs. The performance/summer tire rubber would be even worse of course. I have routinely gotten only about half of the warranteed tread life on my Teslas over the years on all season rubber.

You'll probably be replacing regular all season tires tires every two years especially with plenty of spirited 0-60 runs. The performance/summer tire rubber would be even worse of course. I have routinely gotten only about half of the warranteed tread life on my Teslas over the years on all season rubber.
Dunno. 19” tires on my S lasts about 3 years — 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. Perhaps the Y will be different.

I did mine as a sleeper. Love the look of the uberturbine but low profile blow on rough roads and are not practical if you plan on doing any driving on crappy roads. If blowouts were not an issue for low profile tires, I’d opt for the 21’s