Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering the Performance Model without the upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a newcomer to EVs, my range anxiety anxiety is high. I am leaning towards declining the extras to get the extra range. Do any of the experienced EV drivers think that is a newbie mistake?
It really depends on your driving habits. How often do you drive more than 200 miles in a day? Are you expecting to take long road trips? What are your charging options where you live? Do you like to drive fast? All of these help determine how often extra range is needed. There is no single answer that covers everyone.

By not opting for the performance upgrade options, shouldn’t it be cheaper?

I am all for the smaller wheels for better efficiency, longer tire life, and more comfort, but there should be some saving by not getting the larger wheels, bigger brakes, and spoiler.

Reactions: Kelr316
I think someone mentioned ala cart pricing as a suggestion say..

53K LYD
57K PYD (Stealth)
61K PYD+

That’d be pretty reasonable..Maybe even offer a SW upgrade to accel boost for 2K and a PYD level by SW for the same 4K. Easy cash grab and keep the car building simple.

It's insane they aren't initially (maybe ever, who knows) offering the 20" Induction wheels - with all seasons - as a choice with the Performance upgrade. The Uberturbines look odd with some body colors and also assuming they'll have summer rubber, who the hell wants to flip wheels sets on a compact SUV f you're one of the hundreds of thousands of buyers who live in a cold weather state? What a miss.

Reactions: jimmym1981
It's insane they aren't initially (maybe ever, who knows) offering the 20" Induction wheels - with all seasons - as a choice with the Performance upgrade. The Uberturbines look odd with some body colors and also assuming they'll have summer rubber, who the hell wants to flip wheels sets on a compact SUV f you're one of the hundreds of thousands of buyers who live in a cold weather state? What a miss.
I’m one of them as well! Hate that I have to get the 21” wheels. Guess I’ll be selling them sooner than later.

I am thinking the there is more to the two versions than the aesthetics (i.e. performance tires, etc. vs "stealth"). The "performance" option one has higher mph which leads me to believe they have different drive trains and/or software configurations. Also I would not just assume that if you sell the performance black wheels and swap in different more efficient wheels you would get your 315 miles range back. I am guessing that there is more to it than the wheels given the 11% drop in range between the two variants. If you look at M3P on fueleconomy.gov (screenshot below) you will see that the efficiency difference between the 18" and the 20" wheels is about a 7% drop.

BTW.. since this would likely be my daily driver I would go with "stealth".. replacing tires is a pain and extra range is priceless on road trips (being able to be more choosy with Superchargers, not having range anxiety in remote areas with less charging infrastructure, keeping a peak charge rate for longer)

upload_2020-2-4_16-20-23.png

my issue with the tires has nothing to do with range. I am traveling lots of farm and fire roads in my adventures and i need something more like a 16 or 17 wrapped in ATs ... selling those dub step rotor hoops will more than fund that set up. Provided that the ‘lowered’ suspension set-up still has at least 8” of clearance. Otherwise its back to the stealth trim

Last edited:
my issue with the tires has nothing to do with range. I am traveling lots of farm and fire roads in my adventures and i need something more like a 16 or 17 wrapped in ATs ... selling those dub step rotor hoops will more than fund that set up. Provided that the ‘lowered’ suspension set-up still has at least 8” of clearance. Otherwise its back to the stealth trim
I’m even a little different than that. I just don’t want to be stuck with $450 tires at the 21s and prefer $200 tires at 20