Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering this week - what options would work best?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what we just ordered. Still not completely decided on the 85D vs. 70D (or even Model S vs. Model X), but I figure we now have a week to decide!

Your Model S

Model S 85D
All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Piano Black Décor
Matching Yacht Floor
White Alcantara Headliner
Supercharger Enabled
Autopilot Convenience Features
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Looks great, congrats!

I'd advise the 85 battery. As someone who is shopping for used models I don't even look at anything under 85. Everyone is different, of course, but I suspect 85's are much more attractive to buyers when you eventually sell your car. (Especially when 100+ comes out.)

Congrats again!

Here's what we just ordered. Still not completely decided on the 85D vs. 70D (or even Model S vs. Model X), but I figure we now have a week to decide!

Your Model S

Model S 85D
All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Piano Black Décor
Matching Yacht Floor
Supercharger Enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Nice! I would highly recommend sticking with the 85 instead of the 70 if you are serious about attempting long distance trips in cold weather. Battery heating and cabin heating sucks up range crazy fast.

Your Model S

Model S 85D
All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Piano Black Décor
Matching Yacht Floor
Supercharger Enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Personally, I would skip the SAS and go with regular suspension. It does very little for the 19 inch wheels and one less adjustment you have to mess with.

Your Model S

Model S 85D
All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Piano Black Décor
Matching Yacht Floor
Supercharger Enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Based on what you described, the options you selected appear to be well suited for you. You may want to consider the premium interior lighting because it does add the power liftgate, fog lights (which surprisingly add a fair amount of light), and the lighted door handles. I would definitely stick with the 85D vs a 70D. I just traded in an 85 two weeks ago for a P90D. Although you say you don't plan on traveling much in your Tesla, it may very well become your travel vehicle. We bought a 7 seater SUV with every option prior to the Tesla that was meant to be used for road trips. However, once we got the Tesla, it become our travel vehicle. Especially with you getting autopilot, you will almost certainly want to take it rather than another vehicle. Being able to adjust the firmness of the steering is also a plus for highway driving. While a 85D will not make any significant difference for local driving, it will make a significant different when traveling for a few reasons.
1. You will be able to skip superchargers because of the higher range
2. You will charge faster when you do visit a supercharger because the lower your charge level, the faster you will charge at least initially
3. Less range anxiety

As far as your insurance question, I pay ~$2200 a YEAR for 3 vehicles with Liberty Mutual with the high coverages. Hope this helps.

FYI, I changed my order to 70D before confirming. This forum overall, with the various 70D vs. 85D threads was very helpful (and I wouldn't have gotten the dual motor without the advice on this thread)! For me, it came down to:

1) My wife preferred the slightly lower acceleration of the 70D (we test drove both), and the 70D performance was more than sufficient for me

2) Based on rated miles, the 70D is ~8% more efficient than the 85D (i.e. will need less electricity over time when home charging)

3) 99% of the time we don't drive more than 80 miles in a day (and mostly no more than 40 miles), and for the few times we do go on long road trips there are plenty of superchargers around here, and based on the best estimates I can make, in the worst cases, having the 70D vs. 85D would only cause us to lose 30 minutes per leg of trip.

4) I know I can't count on this, but I do know something about battery technology and expect that there will be much higher energy density batteries for lower cost in a few years, and am hoping there will be an option to upgrade (or could always upgrade the car after 3 years!)

So, here's my final order:
Model S 70D
All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Piano Black Décor
Matching Yacht Floor
Supercharger Enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Planning on creating my posting signature soon!

FYI, I changed my order to 70D before confirming. This forum overall, with the various 70D vs. 85D threads was very helpful (and I wouldn't have gotten the dual motor without the advice on this thread)! For me, it came down to:

1) My wife preferred the slightly lower acceleration of the 70D (we test drove both), and the 70D performance was more than sufficient for me

2) Based on rated miles, the 70D is ~8% more efficient than the 85D (i.e. will need less electricity over time when home charging)

3) 99% of the time we don't drive more than 80 miles in a day (and mostly no more than 40 miles), and for the few times we do go on long road trips there are plenty of superchargers around here, and based on the best estimates I can make, in the worst cases, having the 70D vs. 85D would only cause us to lose 30 minutes per leg of trip.

4) I know I can't count on this, but I do know something about battery technology and expect that there will be much higher energy density batteries for lower cost in a few years, and am hoping there will be an option to upgrade (or could always upgrade the car after 3 years!)

So, here's my final order:
Model S 70D
All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Piano Black Décor
Matching Yacht Floor
Supercharger Enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Rear Facing Seats

Planning on creating my posting signature soon!

CONGRATS!! this forum has helped me a ton. A lot more then the tesla stores
:smile: