Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering used 2017 MS . Difference between AP 2.0 vs 2.5 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of price difference between AP hardware 2 - 2.5 in 2017 used models.
Usually cars made before August 2017 cost much less then cars after that (AP 2.5).

Got some questions.

1. I don`t care about autopilot and FSD. And range . I need car only for work commute.
All i care is good premium sound system and reliability .
Are both AP 2.0 and 2.5 same in that aspect ?

2 Is there any other difference i should know ?

Thanx

I just went through the same analysis and purchased an AP 2.5 hardware, October 2017 MS 75...but because I DID care about AP and FSD. So you are looking at this the right way - AP 2.5 is not an issue for you if you don't care (or put a $ value) on AP / FSD. The "technical" differences:
  1. 2.5 is a little more powerful with some more redundancies than 2.0. BUT....this doesn't matter anymore, because both 2.0 and 2.5 are eligible to be upgraded to 3.0 for FSD vehicles, for free.
  2. What I personally cared about was that 2.5 was introduced with upgraded "full color" side cameras and slightly more powerful forward radar.
  3. Another factor that MAY be causing the higher pricing is that SOME of the 2.5 cars also were "uncorked", significantly improving their 0-60mph speed. Mine was one of those.
  4. A minor factor, but also mattering to me, was that around the time of the 2.5 upgrade the rear seat was completely redesigned to be more contoured and, I think, more comfortable.
None of these factors affected reliability to my knowledge within the 2017 year. The premium sound didn't change. Range didn't change. The bundled options did change midyear, such as the powered liftgate and air suspension. If you care about either and will buy a pre-August 2017 car, check carefully for these options. It sounds like the "sweet spot" for you may be pre-August. Good luck!

I just went through the same analysis and purchased an AP 2.5 hardware, October 2017 MS 75...but because I DID care about AP and FSD. So you are looking at this the right way - AP 2.5 is not an issue for you if you don't care (or put a $ value) on AP / FSD. The "technical" differences:
  1. 2.5 is a little more powerful with some more redundancies than 2.0. BUT....this doesn't matter anymore, because both 2.0 and 2.5 are eligible to be upgraded to 3.0 for FSD vehicles, for free.
  2. What I personally cared about was that 2.5 was introduced with upgraded "full color" side cameras and slightly more powerful forward radar.
  3. Another factor that MAY be causing the higher pricing is that SOME of the 2.5 cars also were "uncorked", significantly improving their 0-60mph speed. Mine was one of those.
  4. A minor factor, but also mattering to me, was that around the time of the 2.5 upgrade the rear seat was completely redesigned to be more contoured and, I think, more comfortable.
None of these factors affected reliability to my knowledge within the 2017 year. The premium sound didn't change. Range didn't change. The bundled options did change midyear, such as the powered liftgate and air suspension. If you care about either and will buy a pre-August 2017 car, check carefully for these options. It sounds like the "sweet spot" for you may be pre-August. Good luck!

You are right about cameras, i forgot that.
Maybe i will consider 2.5, but they cost a lot more as i can see

...I don`t care about autopilot and FSD. And range . I need car only for work commute.
All i care is good premium sound system and reliability .
Are both AP 2.0 and 2.5 same in that aspect ?

True. Both with same good sound and reliability.

...2 Is there any other difference i should know ?

Others have pointed out already but I would like to add that, after a while, you might think since your car costs quite a few bucks, you might want to get a video recording Sentry Mode to guard your investment.

AP2.0 has Sentry Mode but without video recording. It can alarm but there's no video record of why.

Thus, for Sentry Mode with video recording, you need at least Hardware 2.5.

You can also easily upgrade to the new side cameras if you want them for $130 each new from Tesla - and it takes about 20 minutes to change them. I did it (actually the new all black Model Y side repeater cameras) to get a better color contrast when using the side views backing up, and on the dash cam. You'll need the MCU2 upgrade to take advantage of those features anyway, so add in the $2500 upgrade to your budget if those features matter to you.

I have AP 2.0 and it’s fine but if you want reliability you definitely want to factor in $2,500 for the MCU upgrade Cruiserlarry mentions. It will give you a new screen (old ones yellow at the edges and look awful), a web browser that works, sentry mode (2.0 will do this when upgraded) and generally a significantly better experience for the control center of your car. If you rely on FM or SiriusXM, you may want to wait until it becomes possible to get a new radio as you will lose your radio with the upgrade at present.

Reactions: JoeCW and vegas888
You can also easily upgrade to the new side cameras if you want them for $130 each new from Tesla - and it takes about 20 minutes to change them. I did it (actually the new all black Model Y side repeater cameras) to get a better color contrast when using the side views backing up, and on the dash cam. You'll need the MCU2 upgrade to take advantage of those features anyway, so add in the $2500 upgrade to your budget if those features matter to you.

are you saying i can upgrade OEM Tesla side cameras? That``s new to me, not bad

I have AP 2.0 and it’s fine but if you want reliability you definitely want to factor in $2,500 for the MCU upgrade Cruiserlarry mentions. It will give you a new screen (old ones yellow at the edges and look awful), a web browser that works, sentry mode (2.0 will do this when upgraded) and generally a significantly better experience for the control center of your car. If you rely on FM or SiriusXM, you may want to wait until it becomes possible to get a new radio as you will lose your radio with the upgrade at present.

Ok so let me understand this.
I can buy MS with AP 2.0 , pay $2500 for whatever upgrade and then have car with MU2, new screen and sentry mode working/recording.
Am i correct?

are you saying i can upgrade OEM Tesla side cameras? That``s new to me, not bad
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. The 2.0 Side repeater cameras in the front fenders, and in the B pillars, can be replaced by newer 3.0 generation cameras for a better color palette when backing up, or viewing the dashcam / sentry videos. They are plug and play - no changes to the vehicle or software is required to make them work (except you should have the latest software version installed, and the infotainment upgrade for full functionality). There have even been some folks who have replaced the front 3 camera cluster, but its a bit more involved, and much more expensive. Some times you can find the new gen repeater cams available used for cheap - but I preferred to buy new Model Y black units. I only did the fender repeaters, cause I use them every time I back out of my garage, and the color view is more natural. An added perk, if you are into chrome delete, is you can use the new Model Y black cameras in the S and X as an option.

For anyone interested, the Model Y black side repeater camera part numbers are:

Driver (Left) Side - #1125106-50-G
Passenger (Right) Side - #1125107-50-G

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: uspearls
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. The 2.0 Side repeater cameras in the front fenders, and in the B pillars, can be replaced by newer 3.0 generation cameras for a better color palette when backing up, or viewing the dashcam / sentry videos. They are plug and play - no changes to the vehicle or software is required to make them work (except you should have the latest software version installed, and the infotainment upgrade for full functionality). There have even been some folks who have replaced the front 3 camera cluster, but its a bit more involved, and much more expensive. Some times you can find the new gen repeater cams available used for cheap - but I preferred to buy new Model Y black units. I only did the fender repeaters, cause I use them every time I back out of my garage, and the color view is more natural. An added perk, if you are into chrome delete, is you can use the new Model Y black cameras in the S and X as an option.
Are the full color side repeater cameras available from Tesla? Or do you have to buy them separately? Are they easy to install? Or does Tesla have to do it for you?

Are the full color side repeater cameras available from Tesla? Or do you have to buy them separately? Are they easy to install? Or does Tesla have to do it for you?

You can buy them over the counter at a Tesla service center parts dept. I edited my previous post with the part numbers.Tesla charges $130 each for them new, and they are not VIN dependent, so you technically don't need a Model Y to purchase them. The install requires about 15- 20 minutes per side, flexible fingers, and a screwdriver / blade to pop off a couple of re-usable plastic inner fender liner retainers. There are good videos on YouTube as well (surprise lol). I've found different service centers have different policies. Most I've used are very helpful, and I'm sure they will do it for a charge - but if you are fairly handy it's an easy job to do.

Reactions: vegas888