TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Oregon $2500 EV Rebate is clear!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by nitzmahone, Aug 2, 2018.

1. nitzmahone

nitzmahone Supporting Member

Looks like the Oregon Supreme Court has helped the state's $2500 EV rebate clear the final hurdle to actually start issuing rebates- bring on the rebate checks!

If you've purchased an EV in Oregon on or after January 1, 2018 be sure to go fill out the Phase 1 application at State of Oregon: AQ Programs - Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Application Process within 6 months of purchase to ensure you're eligible for the rebate.

The full details on the program are at State of Oregon: AQ Programs - Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program - start mashing F5 for official updates NOW! ;)

A little background: last year's omnibus transportation bill included a 0.5% "vehicle privilege tax" on all new vehicles sold in the state starting January 1, part of the proceeds from which were planned to fund an EV rebate program. AAA of Oregon/Idaho and some other groups sued to try and block the collection of the tax, claiming that it violated a clause in the Oregon constitution (Article IX, Section 3a if you care) that says taxes related to vehicles may only be used to fund road improvements. The vehicle privilege tax definition was very carefully written to avoid this, but the lawsuit was brought anyway, which blocked the distribution of the funds collected by the new tax until it was resolved. A few rounds in the courts, and the final appeal was argued before the supreme court in March, which just issued the final ruling in favor of the state today.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

Hmmm, must have a base MSRP of less than $50K. Wonder how that's going to play out with the long range Model 3. Does it go by "base" of $49K, then doesn't matter if you go up to performance version, etc, or will only the RWD Model 3 qualify for this?

3. ronm2948

ronm2948 Member

Great news!!!

But I’m also curious about which versions apply as well. We got a long-range version a few weeks ago, and are waiting on an AWD version. It would be nice if we could get the rebate on both.

4. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

The funds for that only allow for 4,000 cars a year at max payout per car. So it will likely be too late to claim it by the time I get my car. That's a chance I took waiting for AWD (essentially amounting to a $2500 premium for the feature). But with it potentially on the chopping lock I didn't want to take the chance. Oh well, you live and learn. Good news is that for anyone getting their car early next year waiting for the base model are only going to see a $1250 cut from right now.

7500-3750+2500=6250

Base MSRP is 35k for model 3. So everything labeled model 3 should be covered regardless of upgrades

5. Thomas Edison

#5 Thomas Edison, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    For anybody wondering, I just called and verified with the state and they have 750 applications already.

6. nitzmahone

nitzmahone Supporting Member

Where are those numbers coming from? The relevant ORS makes no mention of funding limits other than a minimum 10% allocation for the related Charge Ahead program, and I don't recall seeing any mention of those in the interim rulemaking documents either...

7. Thomas Edison

#7 Thomas Edison, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    A google search shows me $12 million a year, sorry I'm too busy to look it up right now. Something is wrong with my numbers. I think the guy on the phone didn't know the ammounts for the funding. But he did say 750 already submitted.

Edit: it must be 4,800 max and $12 million. Meaning there's plenty of time for people to enroll at 750 so far. But you also need to know that the low income additional rebate comes from the same pool. Also, not all cars will qualify for the full $2500.

8. tpatana

tpatana Member

They should start selling Model 3S and Model 3X (which looks surprisingly like Model S and Model X), so that they would qualify for the rebate :D