Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Coast Vacation Rental with HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. We are longtime Tesla owner/fans, braving the new world since our Model S 2012. We recently rebuilt a house on the Oregon Coast for a vacation rental and installed a HPWC to help all the Tesla owners out there. There are a number of other charging options to and from our house, but as you all know having destination charging is fantastic. So if you are planning a trip to the Coast near Newport, OR check it out.

Our home is about to be listed on all the rental sites, but I wanted to get this up for you all first. If you call our lodging agency and ask about the Owens property in South Beach, Oregon they can get you hooked up for rental before it goes live.

We are happy to get feedback anytime!

erleichda

Thanks everyone, this is great feedback. The formal listing with Meredithlodging.com will go up soon, and be mobile friendly. Until then, you can call and tentatively get on the books. They can discuss rates too, which they set and vary by dates.

Hmmm...too bad you didn't decide to put in a high-current J1772 so you can be appealing to all EV owners...not just Teslas. The 2018 Leaf could probably make it there from the west side or downtown, and the newer 2019 could do it from anywhere in the metro, as could the Bolt.

Hmmm...too bad you didn't decide to put in a high-current J1772 so you can be appealing to all EV owners...not just Teslas. The 2018 Leaf could probably make it there from the west side or downtown, and the newer 2019 could do it from anywhere in the metro, as could the Bolt.

The reason is that there is a high current J1772 in Newport already! ...and next to some tasty eats too. Come on out! City of Newport - Public Parking: Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Station, Newport | Roadtrippers

The reason is that there is a high current J1772 in Newport already! ...and next to some tasty eats too. Come on out! City of Newport - Public Parking: Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Station, Newport | Roadtrippers

So just because I don't drive a Tesla yet means I have to spend an hour or more (if I have a Bolt) charging during the day, at some distance from the home, instead of while I'm sleeping at your rental? Seriously, there's no downside to having installed an 80A Clipper Creek instead of a HPWC...

• Disagree
Reactions: thegooch49
So just because I don't drive a Tesla yet means I have to spend an hour or more (if I have a Bolt) charging during the day, at some distance from the home, instead of while I'm sleeping at your rental? Seriously, there's no downside to having installed an 80A Clipper Creek instead of a HPWC...

Sounds like this is not the right rental for you :)

If I owned a house, I would do a Tesla charger as well. Because......I own a Tesla (like the owners). They probably installed it to charge their Tesla, not their Bolt. They listed this ad on a Tesla enthusiast site, not a Bolt enthusiast site.

Sounds like this is not the right rental for you :)

If I owned a house, I would do a Tesla charger as well. Because......I own a Tesla (like the owners). They probably installed it to charge their Tesla, not their Bolt. They listed this ad on a Tesla enthusiast site, not a Bolt enthusiast site.
Yeah all of this was made pretty clear in the OP. No reason to hate on someone for installing a HPWC.

I'm interested in booking the place for a few days this summer. The Tesla HPWC is a great perk.

However, I don't really like talking on the phone so I'm hoping this will come online at some point so that I can just see prices and book online without having to talk to someone.

RVD.

Yep, the listing should go up next week and I'll be sure to spread it around here! I appreciate the Bolt owners thoughts, those are LOOOOONG standing debates in the EV world. But fact is, the charging network that allows Tesla's such freedom with such ease is why there are so many Tesla's making the long distance drives. For now, we're supporting Tesla. Maybe other EV owners start long-range travel more in the future. That clipper creek is pricey!

Looks nice, and may take you up on this in the summer.

One Solution to enable J1772-equipped EVs to charge using HPWC is to use a Jdapter. I use this for my daughter’s eGolf on my HWPCs and it works great for her car and others.

Anyway, buy a JDapter (JDapter Stub) 40A if your HPWC is 40A or less, or get the 80A if your HPWC is rated for 80A. Why 80A? Well, I believe a Roadster owner could charge at 72A via j1772 adapter and that might do bad things to a 40A Jdapter on an 80A HPWC.

Most J1772 are limited to significantly less than 40A, eg 30A on eGolf, with exceptions being Tesla-based Merc B-class and RAV4 being able to charge at 40A. The 80A is overkill the majority of the time, though not worth taking risks for the exceptions.