TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Oregon EV Tax Rebate

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JWiC, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JWiC

JWiC Member

I'm hoping someone here might have some knowledge about this. Oregon just signed into law a transportation bill that includes a tax rebate for electric vehicles effective the beginning of the year, 2018. The rebate is up to $2,500. I'm trying to find out in what scenarios this new rebate can be applied to the purchase of a Model 3.

One of the stipulations states "Has a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000." If I am getting one of the earlier Model 3's (LR, Premium) the price is already $49,000. Add any option and it hits the threshold. However, the rule says base MSRP, does that mean Model 3 would qualify no matter what since its base price is $35,000 or does the rule pertain to the total price of the car including options? Also, does adding EAP/FSD count since it's purely a software update?

I've attached the bill and the relevant section starts at pg 128. Any help or clarification would be very helpful. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. D-egg-O

D-egg-O Member

I think the base price is referring to the base model 3 ($35K). The non-profit, Forth was involved with this legislation. They might know a bunch more details.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I would assume base MSRP for *that model* to be $35000 for the SR and $44000 for the LR. Never mind that you can't order any without this and that, the base for the two models are those prices.

4. thegooch49

thegooch49 New Member

I'm in Oregon too, but I think I'm not going to opt for the LR model, so I'll be good either way. I'm hoping to double-dip some rebates, and install an EVSE in 2017 to get the 50% install cost refunded. The device must be purchased in 2017, and they allow a few month grace period for installation. If it wasn't for the rebate, I would probably just opt for the 14-50 outlet installation. But with the up-to $750 credit (Hardware and install), I think I'll opt for the Tesla Wall Connector. Any other Oregonians planning on using the 2017 credit for home installs, and did the credit bump you from 14-50 to an EVSE?

5. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Seeing that the SR has a 40a charger wouldn't the EVSE be pointless? The 14-50 would supply you with all the car can take.

6. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

He's
    I talked to state and Forth last month, and yes they said based on MSRP of less than 50k. Model 3 is 35k before options

• Like x 1
  7. JWiC

JWiC Member

Excellent, that's good news. Every little bit helps. Thanks for everyone's responses.

On the subject of installing an EVSE, I was thinking about doing that but I'll need to price it out. You still have to pay for half the cost of the wall connector, correct? So half of that + labor vs installing a NEMA 14-50. *sideways glance at wife* hmm

Ops, gooch actually states 50% of the cost of the install. Need to read better however, I thought it was the cost of the wall connector not the device?

8. thegooch49

thegooch49 New Member

Yeah, the wording on the credit form specifically says " $750 or 50 percent of the cost of the device, materials and installation, whichever is less." I take this as being a 50% credit on the grand total of the wall connector, and any labor that is incurred w/ the install of it. My guess is that it would be a bit less than the $750 max, depending on what installation would cost.

Yes and No. The EVSE does seem a bit overkill just basing off of charging speed, but I thought it would be nice to leave the included Mobile Connector mobile (with the car). I think the wall connector is a bit of a cleaner look than having the mobile connector around, that would probably just end up laying on the floor of my garage all the time. If we assume that installation of a 14-50 is roughly the same cost as the install of a Wall Connector, I'd happily pay $250 (1/2 of the MSRP) to have a nice clean install of a wall connector, which frees up my included mobile connector to stay with the car. Maybe overkill, but I wouldn't say it's pointless.

• Informative x 1
  9. david_42

david_42 Member

We will probably stick with a NEMA 14-50. If my wife manages to find a job on our side of the river, we might not even need the 14-50. Her current commute is 33 miles a day, which might be a stretch for a 120/20 outlet; but if she can cut that to under 20 miles or even find something on the MAX line, no problem.