Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon EV Tax Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping someone here might have some knowledge about this. Oregon just signed into law a transportation bill that includes a tax rebate for electric vehicles effective the beginning of the year, 2018. The rebate is up to $2,500. I'm trying to find out in what scenarios this new rebate can be applied to the purchase of a Model 3.

One of the stipulations states "Has a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000." If I am getting one of the earlier Model 3's (LR, Premium) the price is already $49,000. Add any option and it hits the threshold. However, the rule says base MSRP, does that mean Model 3 would qualify no matter what since its base price is $35,000 or does the rule pertain to the total price of the car including options? Also, does adding EAP/FSD count since it's purely a software update?

I've attached the bill and the relevant section starts at pg 128. Any help or clarification would be very helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• Transportation Bill - HB2017.pdf
    439.9 KB · Views: 78
I'm in Oregon too, but I think I'm not going to opt for the LR model, so I'll be good either way. I'm hoping to double-dip some rebates, and install an EVSE in 2017 to get the 50% install cost refunded. The device must be purchased in 2017, and they allow a few month grace period for installation. If it wasn't for the rebate, I would probably just opt for the 14-50 outlet installation. But with the up-to $750 credit (Hardware and install), I think I'll opt for the Tesla Wall Connector. Any other Oregonians planning on using the 2017 credit for home installs, and did the credit bump you from 14-50 to an EVSE?

I'm in Oregon too, but I think I'm not going to opt for the LR model, so I'll be good either way. I'm hoping to double-dip some rebates, and install an EVSE in 2017 to get the 50% install cost refunded. The device must be purchased in 2017, and they allow a few month grace period for installation. If it wasn't for the rebate, I would probably just opt for the 14-50 outlet installation. But with the up-to $750 credit (Hardware and install), I think I'll opt for the Tesla Wall Connector. Any other Oregonians planning on using the 2017 credit for home installs, and did the credit bump you from 14-50 to an EVSE?

Seeing that the SR has a 40a charger wouldn't the EVSE be pointless? The 14-50 would supply you with all the car can take.

Excellent, that's good news. Every little bit helps. Thanks for everyone's responses.

On the subject of installing an EVSE, I was thinking about doing that but I'll need to price it out. You still have to pay for half the cost of the wall connector, correct? So half of that + labor vs installing a NEMA 14-50. *sideways glance at wife* hmm

Ops, gooch actually states 50% of the cost of the install. Need to read better however, I thought it was the cost of the wall connector not the device?

Excellent, that's good news. Every little bit helps. Thanks for everyone's responses.

On the subject of installing an EVSE, I was thinking about doing that but I'll need to price it out. You still have to pay for half the cost of the wall connector, correct? So half of that + labor vs installing a NEMA 14-50. *sideways glance at wife* hmm

Ops, gooch actually states 50% of the cost of the install. Need to read better however, I thought it was the cost of the wall connector not the device?

Yeah, the wording on the credit form specifically says " $750 or 50 percent of the cost of the device, materials and installation, whichever is less." I take this as being a 50% credit on the grand total of the wall connector, and any labor that is incurred w/ the install of it. My guess is that it would be a bit less than the $750 max, depending on what installation would cost.

Seeing that the SR has a 40a charger wouldn't the EVSE be pointless? The 14-50 would supply you with all the car can take.

Yes and No. The EVSE does seem a bit overkill just basing off of charging speed, but I thought it would be nice to leave the included Mobile Connector mobile (with the car). I think the wall connector is a bit of a cleaner look than having the mobile connector around, that would probably just end up laying on the floor of my garage all the time. If we assume that installation of a 14-50 is roughly the same cost as the install of a Wall Connector, I'd happily pay $250 (1/2 of the MSRP) to have a nice clean install of a wall connector, which frees up my included mobile connector to stay with the car. Maybe overkill, but I wouldn't say it's pointless.

• Informative
Reactions: JWiC
We will probably stick with a NEMA 14-50. If my wife manages to find a job on our side of the river, we might not even need the 14-50. Her current commute is 33 miles a day, which might be a stretch for a 120/20 outlet; but if she can cut that to under 20 miles or even find something on the MAX line, no problem.

I called the state of Oregon about the EV rebate program in April right before I ordered my M3. The program is structured that the base model has to be under $50K. The M3 will work.

* Bad News: The Oregon EV rebate was stuck in a lawsuit with the Oregon Supreme Court and not sure it would take effect.
* Details necessary: You need to fill out the Phase 1 application on the following link within the first 6 months of your purchase in 2018. it took 2 minutes & I received confirmation via email.
State of Oregon: AQ Programs - Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Application Process
* Good News: It passed yesterday! I received the following in am email:

Dear stakeholders and applicants,
The Oregon Supreme Court today upheld the constitutionality of the funding mechanism for the EV Rebate Program created by the Legislature in last year’s House Bill 2017. DEQ has updated our website for the program and the frequently asked questions document. The agency will be moving to implement the rebate program as quickly as possible and will be providing updates as we prepare and launch the full rebate application.

Reactions: JWiC
Me waiting for the Phase 2 application...
r0YGJyo.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: lupend88
Did you look at section 150 (8) (c)?

"(c) Document that the person will scrap or otherwise render inoperable a high-emission passenger motor vehicle that, on the date of the rebate application, is registered as operable and has been continuously registered for the last two years."

Seems you have to own a high polluting ICE, it has to have been registered for at least two years, and you have to be willing to scrap it.

Reactions: adaptabl
Did you look at section 150 (8) (c)?

"(c) Document that the person will scrap or otherwise render inoperable a high-emission passenger motor vehicle that, on the date of the rebate application, is registered as operable and has been continuously registered for the last two years."

Seems you have to own a high polluting ICE, it has to have been registered for at least two years, and you have to be willing to scrap it.

No, not exactly. The Charge Ahead Program which you reference at section 150 is in addition to, and separate from, the "regular" Oregon EV rebate. The qualifications for the regular Oregon EV rebate is detailed in section 149 (page 129 of the OP's attached Transportation Bill).

Reactions: rdlink
No, not exactly. The Charge Ahead Program which you reference at section 150 is in addition to, and separate from, the "regular" Oregon EV rebate. The qualifications for the regular Oregon EV rebate is detailed in section 149 (page 129 of the OP's attached Transportation Bill).

This excerpt, copied from the Oregon.gov page, explains it a much more clearly:
  • Standard rebates of $1500 or $2500 towards the purchase or lease of a new plug-in hybrid or battery electric vehicle (rebate amount depends upon the battery capacity)
  • Charge Ahead rebates of $2500 for the purchase or lease of any new or used battery electric vehicle. Only low and moderate income households may qualify for the Charge Ahead rebates
  • Eligible vehicles must have a base MSRP of less than $50,000
source: State of Oregon: AQ Programs - Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

Reactions: rdlink