Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Law (1/1/16) - Illegal to park in EV space if not refueling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdxgibby

Software Engineer
Oct 30, 2015
Tualatin, Oregon
Starting January 1, 2016 in the state of Oregon it will cost $250 if you park in a EV charging spot! Let's see if the police actually enforce this.

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:SECTION 1. (1) As used in this section, “alternative fuel vehicle” has the meaning giventhat term in ORS 469B.100, except that “alternative fuel vehicle” includes vehicles registeredin any jurisdiction.(2) A person commits the offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternativefuel vehicle refueling if:(a) The person parks a vehicle in any parking space that is on premises open to thepublic;(b) The parking space is marked or signed as reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling;and(c) The vehicle in the parking space is not engaged in the refueling process.(3) The offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refuelingis a Class D traffic violation.

HB 2625 :: Oregon Legislature Bill Tracker - Your Government - The Oregonian

I'm all for concise laws, but I see a couple things missing:

I'm surprised there's no provision for a brief "grace period" for cars that are still plugged in but finished charging. I'd have expected maybe 15-60 minutes. Clearly no ICE would get any grace period, and any EV parked but not plugged in shouldn't get one either.

The other practical issue I see is any situation where one cable can reach two or more spaces.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm happy to see laws supporting EVs, and I do hope they're enforced. But I also hope those doing the enforcement are reasonable about it.

What happens if someone parks next to you, unplugs you, and steals the charge cable? What if some EV-hater just maliciously unplugs you? Now your stuck without a charge AND a ticket...

Nice idea, but it seems full of holes...

What happens if someone parks next to you, unplugs you, and steals the charge cable? What if some EV-hater just maliciously unplugs you? Now your stuck without a charge AND a ticket...

Nice idea, but it seems full of holes...

You can't unplug a locked Tesla - the connector is locked in to the car's charging port. If memory serves, you can unplug a Volt, but the alarm goes off. Have no idea about other plug-in EVs

You can't unplug a locked Tesla - the connector is locked in to the car's charging port. If memory serves, you can unplug a Volt, but the alarm goes off. Have no idea about other plug-in EVs
Many public chargers are J1772 L2 chargers. You absolutely can unplug one of those while charging. A charming (to avoid other adjectives that would earn me a reprimand from our vigilant moderators) Volt(!) driver unplugged my happily charging S a couple of weeks ago - we had a power outage at home and I was trying to fill up enough to make it home and back to work the next day... I digress. The adapter stays safely locked in the charge port, but the actual charging cable can be removed.

Many public chargers are J1772 L2 chargers. You absolutely can unplug one of those while charging. A charming (to avoid other adjectives that would earn me a reprimand from our vigilant moderators) Volt(!) driver unplugged my happily charging S a couple of weeks ago - we had a power outage at home and I was trying to fill up enough to make it home and back to work the next day... I digress. The adapter stays safely locked in the charge port, but the actual charging cable can be removed.

Evannex has a product to lock the charging cable with the adapter. Called the CapturePro. Don't know if it works, but you may want to look into it considering your experience.