Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon - license plate transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stumbled across this thread. Purchased my 2022 M3P in December, and requested that the delivery team at the PDX Macadam service center submit the registration with the transfer of my existing plates (not a Tesla trade in, btw). They seemed unsure if Oregon DMV would allow a new vehicle registration with transfer of existing plates, so charged me the full amount and then told me DMV would refund the cost difference if the transferred plates were accepted. Once I received my registration from DMV, I called to request my refund, but they told me Tesla only submitted payment for the transferred plates and I'd need to seek the refund from Tesla. Called Tesla customer service and they issued me a $800-ish refund check without any hassles at all.

Just stumbled across this thread. Purchased my 2022 M3P in December, and requested that the delivery team at the PDX Macadam service center submit the registration with the transfer of my existing plates (not a Tesla trade in, btw). They seemed unsure if Oregon DMV would allow a new vehicle registration with transfer of existing plates, so charged me the full amount and then told me DMV would refund the cost difference if the transferred plates were accepted. Once I received my registration from DMV, I called to request my refund, but they told me Tesla only submitted payment for the transferred plates and I'd need to seek the refund from Tesla. Called Tesla customer service and they issued me a $800-ish refund check without any hassles at all.
Lucky you. I requested the transfer of plates too, but I just received standard plates. I've asked them what happened and how we fix it, but I haven't heard back yet. (I do have something coming from the Tesla Registration team via UPS, so I'm hoping that will shed some light on what happened.)

Last edited:
Lucky you. I requested the transfer of plates too, but I just received standard plates. I've asked them what happened and how we fix it, but I haven't heard back yet. (I do have something coming from the Tesla Registration team via UPS, so I'm hoping that will shed some light on what happened.)
At this point they can’t do anything once the registration paperwork is completed. You can however go to the DMV and request a plate transfer. Hopefully you either have another vehicle that you can transfer the new plates and 4 year registration to, otherwise you’re eating a grand.

At this point they can’t do anything once the registration paperwork is completed. You can however go to the DMV and request a plate transfer. Hopefully you either have another vehicle that you can transfer the new plates and 4 year registration to, otherwise you’re eating a grand.

I talked to DMV and they said that while I have received plates it is still in the "EVR" system and hasn't made it to the DMV database; so Tesla should be able to amend/correct the request. We'll see how that goes.

Barring that there are a couple options:
  • I could swap the plates between the vehicles, which would give my old ICE 4 years of registration at the EV rates, still wasting money. (The difference between the ICE and EV rates.)
    • This seems weird as you can normally only renew 2 years at a time and require DEQ every time, but he insisted that I could transfer a 4-year plate to the old ICE. (Which would be a plus for a private party sale.)
  • I could surrender the custom plates, and then convert the plates Tesla sent me to new custom plates with the same designation. (Only losing a few dollars of custom plate fees that were paid for the old vehicle.)
    • There could be some risk that someone else claims the plates, but the person on the phone couldn't answer how long I would have to wait between the surrender and re-ordering the custom plates again. (If you let them expire they become available for someone else after 30 days.)
Stupid that Tesla couldn't get something so simple correct... Hopefully they will fix it.

Reactions: izzelsizzel
Update: Tesla says that they will make it right. The UPS package I received was a new title/registration form for me to sign and return.

We'll see how it all turns out, probably in a couple months.

Final update: It took 4 months total, but Tesla made it right and refunded me the extra registration fees they charged me. (And I got to keep the 4 years plates that they paid for, which I can put on a different vehicle.)

Reactions: izzelsizzel