Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend who took the photos of the GP construction site said it was obviously just 4 charging spots. The photos also show only 4 spots, and there are only 2 charger stacks. I agree that it's very odd.

Springfield construction has 8 charging spots, but my understanding is that only four spaces will be dedicated for EV and the other four will be available if needed for hotel parking. Usually all eight are available, but the four non-dedicated spaces will probably be used for some weekly or monthly events at the hotel. For example, Springfield Rotary Club meets at the Holiday Inn on Wednesdays at noon and much of the hotel parking in that area is used then.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Frank. Very helpful insights. And I look forward to more GP photos!

- - - Updated - - -

The 4 bays at GP are interesting. I did a little looking at traffic volume on the I5 corridor from socal thru Oregon and found the following data:

View attachment 33096

Based on this, the volume thru this area is 1/4 as much as the metro areas of the two states. This could be misleading as trip volume vs daily volume are different populations, but consider I spent 5 minutes on the 'research'. Hopefully as the Tesla volume grows, these systems have been built out to be easily expanded (as the original SC's in Calif were).

I plan on being in the GP area on Saturday and will take pics if no one beats me to it...

Thanks, Frank. Very helpful insights. And I look forward to more GP photos!

Only 4 in Grants Pass makes sense to me. The only time they would really be used are for people going from OR/WA to CA and back. This is a long trip that isn't as common as say trips between Portland and Seattle (where there are 10 spots in Centralia). Add to the fact that they plan to add another one in southern Oregon, people could skip Grants Pass or reduce their charge time there which would further reduce its utilization.

Just to continue this question, I've been to the Centralia charger twice and the Woodburn charger once. On all occasions, I've been the only Tesla there.
For the near term I don't think any chargers north of Folsom will be overloaded.

There were four of us charging at Woodburn a week ago -- Monday morning -- but I finished up just as #4 was pulling in. Probably anomalous. As I mentioned earlier, on a typical trip between Seattle and the Bay Area, I will probably skip both Springfield and Grants Pass because I will overnight in Canyonville, which is an easy drive to either Woodburn or Mt. Shasta.

Just to continue this question, I've been to the Centralia charger twice and the Woodburn charger once. On all occasions, I've been the only Tesla there.
For the near term I don't think any chargers north of Folsom will be overloaded.

If there are some people with similar commutes that plan on getting an S to utilize superchargers they might fill up at certain peak hours? I have met several people @ Freemont and Folsom that have long commutes and seem to use the SCs very frequently at around the same time

Photo update from Grants Pass yesterday:
1378014_10201929357737742_832036216_n.jpg

looks like they left room for future expansions, thats good.

Anyone took my hard detective work seriously to check the Dunsmuir option or it was all "in vain".. ? :-( Norcal SC forum is dead/not responding.

Thanks
They don't have an online permit database. They are part of Siskiyou County, someone should be able to ask the building division about permits:

Building Division

806 South Main Street
Yreka, CA 96097
(530) 841-2100

Based on Dunsmuir city manager, Tesla decided not to build it there due to technical issues ("lack of power capability").

Then called Mt. Shasta city hall again, and got a confirmation from them with an exact location:

Best Western Plus Tree House

111 Morgan Way, Mt Shasta, CA

2nd Mt. Shasta exit on I-5 (exit 738), yeah another Black Bear Dinner... :smile:

Construction in progress, estimated completion in the next 2 weeks, maybe sooner.

Thanks

Based on Dunsmuir city manager, Tesla decided not to build it there due to technical issues ("lack of power capability").

Then called Mt. Shasta city hall again, and got a confirmation from them with an exact location:

2nd Mt. Shasta exit on I-5 (exit 738), yeah another Black Bear Dinner... :smile:

Construction in progress, estimated completion in the next 2 weeks, maybe sooner.

Thanks

Great info, thanks for the update. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the final piece needed for a pure Supercharger EV highway? Once the two in Oregon are complete and this Mt. Shasta Supercharger in northern California, there are no more significant gaps?

EDIT: I just checked Google Maps. Mt. Shasta to Folsom is 243 miles.
There is also a slightly shorter route using I-5 and CA-99 that is 223 miles.
If there is any sort of uphill, it might not be possible. I don't know that area.

You are a genius at this!

So that means that they will have three consecutive stations up in the next three weeks. that's amazing.

Springfield, Grants Pass, Mt Shasta!

That leaves 240 miles to Folsom, 290 miles to Fremont.

So ideally they'd want to have one more around Williams or Maxwell or WIllows - Maxwell would perfectly split the Mt Shasta - Fremont trip and allow people in 60s to easily drive I5 / I505 / I80 / I680 to get to Fremont without having to detour to Folsom...

I see a road trip to the Bay Area in my near future...

- - - Updated - - -

Great info, thanks for the update. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the final piece needed for a pure Supercharger EV highway? Once the two in Oregon are complete and this Mt. Shasta Supercharger in northern California, there are no more significant gaps?

If there is any sort of uphill, it might not be possible. I don't know that area.
We clearly both worked on the same logic at the same time :)
I think there's got to be one more in between. Even 223 is not doable in an S60, hills or not. There's got to be one more...

Corning is the missing link south of Mount Shasta. Folsom is well east of I-5 so the planned Manteca supercharger would make the trip much more efficient for people passing through to/from southern California.

Thanks for the pictures of the Springfield charger, merlynhough!

Also, great detective work on the possible Dunsmiur supercharger, pdx4s! That could explain the total lack of available information regarding a charger in Mt. Shasta.

Crews were onsite in Springfield, Oregon today. Fence crew and Springfield Utility Board (SUB, the local electric utility) as well as ADK Electric. (No onsite work was apparent Friday-Tuesday.) Here are a few pictures from today. --- Merlyn

iPhone October 16, 2013 Download 182.JPG

iPhone October 16, 2013 Download 177.JPG

iPhone October 16, 2013 Download 169.JPG
iPhone October 16, 2013 Download 167.JPG

I think I found photos of the Corning station almost done (posted first to the CA supercharger thread):

NorCal Supercharger locations? - Page 3

Just edited my post to correct my error, yes I see the photos in the topic you liked to, and it appears the Cornong SC is almost operational! Here is the post from that topic:

Is this a random sighting of the Corning supercharger station?

https://twitter.com/GerberWalnuts/status/386548337941311488/photo/1

Could this be another view of it?

http://vantucker.net/2013/10/05/cha...ation-in-corning-55mileride-pedalpower-tesla/

If so, then we can see that it's at the Best Western Plus, right next to the only Burger King in town. It's also apparent that it's almost done!

Approximate address: 950 Highway 99 W, Corning, CA

I am still hoping for an SC on the 101 somewhere significantly north of Santa Rosa.

Last edited: