Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grants Pass photos from today:
1377517_10201904641119842_612943701_n.jpg
1380656_10201904638919787_1672985279_n.jpg
1395358_10201904639959813_304059226_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's located at the Black Bear Diner, and the soonest it may be ready for charging is one week from today, October 18th. There are 4 bays (for only 4 cars charging simultaneously).

Last edited:
Grants Pass photos from today:

It's located at the Black Bear Diner, and the soonest it may be ready for charging is one week from today, October 18th. There are 4 bays (8 chargers).
Thanks for the pictures. Awesome. And they already have the transformers ready (usually the last thing to go up when ADK installs them).
I wonder if they are trying to open both Springfield and Grants Pass on the same day...

Let's say 10am Springfield and 2pm Grants Pass... and some of us can drive to one and then the other...

Wow, that was fast. They snuck that one in. They almost had it operational before we even knew it was there.

Yeh. They sure did sneak it in. Wasn't it just yesterday that dirkhh found the permit. And today we have some of the equipment already on site.

A less than full charge in Woodburn (30 minutes), another 20 minutes in Springfield, and a 30 to 45 minute charge in Grants (safey margin for getting to Mount Shasta in cold weather in the mountains). If the Corning charger isn't in by Dec. 1st, I know a max charge at Shasta will get me 225 miles to Folsom with no trouble. Well, maybe I won't be going over 65 mph on that leg, but it is more downhill than up. After one range charge, I've traveled 247 miles with several elevation changes up and down averaging 2000 ft each. This was a round trip from Cheney to Lookout Pass on the Idaho-Montanta border and back, with another 20-30 miles locally to bring the remaining rated miles down to 0. I'd still prefer to put in another 15-20 minutes charging at Corning though.

Yeh. They sure did sneak it in. Wasn't it just yesterday that dirkhh found the permit. And today we have some of the equipment already on site.

just a small correction, found the GP permit on the GP city data base, dirkhh posted it after I posted the info. on the PDXTesla club.

also found some reports that the Northest-Cal SC might not be in Mt. Shasta but in Dunsmuir which is just 8miles south of Mt. Shasta, not confirmed as there is pernit info., Mt. Shasa EDC told me on the phone yesterday that they are not aware of a Tesla SC in MT. Shasta, if we have folks in the area to do some Reconnaissance in both Dunsmuir and Mt. Shasta if possible.

http://www.redding.com/news/2013/sep/04/dunsmuir-councilwoman-wants-mayor-censured/?partner=RSS

http://www.mtshastanews.com/article/20131009/NEWS/131009715/0/SEARCH

Then on Dunsmuir Chamber of Commerce, last recorded agenda:
http://dunsmuir.com/for-businesses/minutes-agendas/
Board of Directors

Agenda August 13, 2013, 5:30 PM

I. Public comment period: First half hour.

II. Minutes from July Board Meeting.

III. Reports/Announcements:

1. Directors Report

2. Finance Report -
3. Mixer & Ribbon Cuttings –
4. Website Update –

IV. New Business:
Old Business--Brewfest update, Tesla charging station (bryce)

1. Newsletter

V. Adjourn

Springfield, Oregon, Supercharger construction looks very close to functional to me. We first noticed construction trenching on October 2, 2013. Equipment appeared to all be in place on October 11, 2013, and bark dust had been spread in the landscape areas where trenching had been done. However, construction tape and construction equipment still blocks access to the eight parking spaces. Construction by ADK Electric who also did the Woodburn Supercharger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 332
Thanks for the pictures of the Springfield charger, merlynhough!

Also, great detective work on the possible Dunsmiur supercharger, pdx4s! That could explain the total lack of available information regarding a charger in Mt. Shasta.

thanks :smile:, do we know by chance who is the mod. for the NorCal SC Locations thread, I posted this info. on their tread several days back also in order to get the norcal folks attention so people can do some recon. but for some reason the mod. decided not to post it on the thread.:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Springfield, Oregon, Supercharger construction looks very close to functional to me. We first noticed construction trenching on October 2, 2013. Equipment appeared to all be in place on October 11, 2013, and bark dust had been spread in the landscape areas where trenching had been done. However, construction tape and construction equipment still blocks access to the eight parking spaces. Construction by ADK Electric who also did the Woodburn Supercharger.

so only 8 slots ?

Also the GP shows only 4 slots, are they getting cheap on Oregon ? as a PDX'er I expect the "need" to use more the Springfield and GP ones if driving south vs Wood.

so only 8 slots ?

Also the GP shows only 4 slots, are they getting cheap on Oregon ? as a PDX'er I expect the "need" to use more the Springfield and GP ones if driving south vs Wood.
8 appears to be the standard for most supercharger installations.
Where did you see only four charging stations in Grants Pass. That would be very of...

BTW: sorry for not giving you credit for finding the permit... I was way too excited when posting about it and forgot... Wasn't trying to take credit for your excellent detective work!

8 appears to be the standard for most supercharger installations.
Where did you see only four charging stations in Grants Pass. That would be very of...
My friend who took the photos of the GP construction site said it was obviously just 4 charging spots. The photos also show only 4 spots, and there are only 2 charger stacks. I agree that it's very odd.

The 4 bays at GP are interesting. I did a little looking at traffic volume on the I5 corridor from socal thru Oregon and found the following data:

I5 Volume 2002.png

Based on this, the volume thru this area is 1/4 as much as the metro areas of the two states. This could be misleading as trip volume vs daily volume are different populations, but consider I spent 5 minutes on the 'research'. Hopefully as the Tesla volume grows, these systems have been built out to be easily expanded (as the original SC's in Calif were).

I plan on being in the GP area on Saturday and will take pics if no one beats me to it...

While this is interesting I agree with you that it would be more germane to separate out long distance travel (say >100 miles) from short. Short distances won't need an SC. Multiply long distance trips by Tesla west coast ownership percentage and that should give us a reasonable approximation of the amount of SC usage. That's how we can tell if the number of charging bays for a given SC will be enough. I'm not sure that data is easy to come by though.

Yes, there will be some local usage of the SCs but I believe it can be ignored because the dominant usage will be long distance. Especially in rural(ish) areas.

I think the reality is that the WA/OR SCs are in no danger of being overwhelmed, even with only 4 operational bays. Has anyone ever seen more than 4 MSs charging (other than at a launch event)?

While this is interesting I agree with you that it would be more germane to separate out long distance travel (say >100 miles) from short. Short distances won't need an SC. Multiply long distance trips by Tesla west coast ownership percentage and that should give us a reasonable approximation of the amount of SC usage. That's how we can tell if the number of charging bays for a given SC will be enough. I'm not sure that data is easy to come by though.

Yes, there will be some local usage of the SCs but I believe it can be ignored because the dominant usage will be long distance. Especially in rural(ish) areas.

I think the reality is that the WA/OR SCs are in no danger of being overwhelmed, even with only 4 operational bays. Has anyone ever seen more than 4 MSs charging (other than at a launch event)?

I have seen 4 cars in Folsom(only been there ~ 2 times) and each time a car left another came.