Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Wildfires and Biohazard Defense Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live south of Portland where air quality has been varying between 350 (Hazardous) and 777 (the scale only goes to 500). As I type this, AQI is 548. I'm part of my neighborhood fire watch and while doing rounds last night, the Biohazard mode was incredibly useful. I would have had to wear an N95 in my MX without it. Also, at times the smoke and fog was so thick in certain areas that I couldn't see the road unless I looked out my side window down at the yellow line. But setting the map display to max zoom, I could navigate through the dense patches of smoke, essentially flying by instruments. There was no other way to tell where to turn.

Last edited:
I live south of Portland where air quality has been varying between 350 (Hazardous) and 777 (the scale only goes to 500). As I type this, AQI is 548. I'm part of my neighborhood fire watch and while doing rounds last night, the Biohazard mode was incredibly useful. I would have had to wear an N95 in my MX without it. Also, at times the smoke and fog was so thick in certain areas that I couldn't see the road unless I looked out my side window down at the yellow line. But setting the map display to max zoom, I could navigate through the dense patches of smoke, essentially flying by instruments. There was no other way to tell where to turn.
Best car on the planet. Thanks for posting the heroic work with MX helping you out. Stay safe!

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Really makes me wish it was considered a standard safety feature on every car rather than a luxury thing, I have a hunch that if that was the case you'd see first responders/firefighters/evacuees actually save lives simply because they had a clean source of air and made better decisions/one less thing to worry about. Anyway, is there a limit for how long you can run Biohazard mode? I imagine in some evac situations people might end up stuck in traffic for many hours. Or just stuck in a area full of smoke for days and days:(

Wow!! That’s quite impressive...does tell you that even though Tesla would love to cut costs to make their cars more affordable, it really was addressing a major heath issue by making this standard on the S&X. Wasn’t this an add on when it was first developed? Yet another reason to tell someone when they ask why Tesla doesn’t pay for marketing.

Where I’m located I call it the Bio de-skunking feature. Can’t tell you how often I see skunk roadkill.