TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Organic Batteries....a possibility

Discussion in 'News' started by tdelta1000, Sep 17, 2010.

1. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

The article doesn't state how long it would be before the "Organic battery" would be out of (or into?) the lab but a lighter iPhone with a battery that lasts 7-30 (!) times longer than the current Li-Po battery would be crazy awesome.

A Roadster with this battery could go more than 1400 miles (!) on a charge while being lighter than the current pack.

Bringing the range down to ~450 miles (from ~1400) would drastically reduce the weight of the car which means better handling and, assuming the power output to the ESS stayed the same, an even faster 0-60 due to the car being lighter. :tongue:

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

That would be insteresting a 450 to 1400 mile range is much better than the approximately 240 mile range now.

3. howabout2

howabout2 Member

450 miles at dramatically reduced weight would be absolutely sick.

In a moment of desperation, I once e-mailed Tesla pleading with them to make a more affordable Roadster that used one third the battery packs (~100 mile range). I've been living with a 100-mile range in my MINI E for over a year and I've never had any range anxiety (quite the opposite, actually, since I charge every evening). Imagine the combined cost savings of using one third the batteries and, offsetting the weight savings, replacing the expensive carbon fiber with simple aluminum. It may have brought the Roadster into a price range I could tolerate.

The availability of smaller battery packs (cheaper; lighter weight) is one of the most appealing features of the Model S.

Looking forward to stuff like this new battery technology!

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, the lighter, lower cost, shorter range pack has been something a lot of people had been asking Tesla about since the beginning...

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog2/?p=24

Anyways, 4+ years later, and they seem to have stuck with their original pack design.
    ( Come to think of it, it does seem a tad surprising that they haven't made any spec changes to the pack in all this time.)

5. howabout2

howabout2 Member

That's a little disconcerting, but I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they've had more important things to work on. :)

That said, I hope that the modularity of the Model S battery packs allows Model S owners to reap some benefits from improving technology over the lifetime of the car.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Why haven't they updated the battery chemistry to increase range? I imagine their cost has gone down for the existing cells so they are making more money but I would think staying as far ahead of the other companies would be more important that the profit on each car. Their volume on the Roadsters isn't enough to make or break the company but advertising a Roadster with a 400 mile range would help their image. I'm sure they have a good reason would just be interesting to hear what it is.

7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

There's probably a lot of engineering and testing to do for a battery update. Changing the weight of the car dramatically (or the volume of the pack) might also result in new crash tests needed to be done. They also might have supply deals which make it not so easy to just switch cells.

I think it is wise for them to do the battery update with the Model S instead, esp. with the modular pack design. When they do a redesigned Roadster they can update the batteries then.