Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Organize your UMC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more overhead cable/UMC set-up...

First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all of the incredibly helpful information. A special thanks to ChadS for his support and encouragement!

I have had my new 70 for about a week now and it has exceeded all of my already sky-high expectations. The Autopilot function in particular is nothing short of wondrous and has made my L.A. freeway rush hour commute something I actually almost look forward to instead of dreading!

This thread with all of the great ideas for UMC organization and cable holder set-ups was particularly interesting for me as I 'nested' in the garage and planned for the arrival of my 'baby'.

I thought I would share my UMC/cable set-up which was inspired by many of the ideas shared here. The key problem I wanted to address in my garage was how to maintain circulation paths around the car while the car was charging as I didn't want to lay the cable on the ground and risk tripping over it. The retractable overhead set-up mentioned here was a possibility but the garage door track and limited clearance overhead made this difficult.

What I came up with was a hinged cantilevered beam (wood 1x4", gate hinge, velcro straps to hold cable) that would lie flat against the wall (via magnetic cabinet latch) when not in use but could be swung over to directly above the charge port and still allow passage underneath if I wanted to walk around the car in the garage. I used the bicycle water bottle holder idea for the UMC and made a oval cable holder out of wood.

IMG_5574.JPG
IMG_5573.JPG

Hello All! Updated Bracket Designs 2016

We've just updated our designs for the UberEV1 UMC Bracket! If you'd like to check out what we've been working on you can click on the link here. Thank you all for your support, couldn't have done it without your encouragement!

Here is my solution for holding UMC on the wall - bicycle water bottle holder.
View attachment 57281

It holds the UMC securely and allows for air circulation around UMC to help dissipate heat...

thanks for this great and simple idea! I had an old spare aluminum water bottle cage lying around so I mounted it on the garage wall as you did.

I made one minor modification to your idea - I cut the cage at the centre of the curved part on the front, spread the ends apart a bit, and covered the ends with some heatshrink tubing (to prevent scratching the UMC).
With this small modification, it's easy to take the UMC off the wall (e.g. to put it in your car) without having to pass 18' of cable entirely through the water bottle cage - so the M in UMC still means mobile!

Thump

@theark1z has just dropped the mic. That is an awesome setup!

First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all of the incredibly helpful information. A special thanks to ChadS for his support and encouragement!

I have had my new 70 for about a week now and it has exceeded all of my already sky-high expectations. The Autopilot function in particular is nothing short of wondrous and has made my L.A. freeway rush hour commute something I actually almost look forward to instead of dreading!

This thread with all of the great ideas for UMC organization and cable holder set-ups was particularly interesting for me as I 'nested' in the garage and planned for the arrival of my 'baby'.

I thought I would share my UMC/cable set-up which was inspired by many of the ideas shared here. The key problem I wanted to address in my garage was how to maintain circulation paths around the car while the car was charging as I didn't want to lay the cable on the ground and risk tripping over it. The retractable overhead set-up mentioned here was a possibility but the garage door track and limited clearance overhead made this difficult.

What I came up with was a hinged cantilevered beam (wood 1x4", gate hinge, velcro straps to hold cable) that would lie flat against the wall (via magnetic cabinet latch) when not in use but could be swung over to directly above the charge port and still allow passage underneath if I wanted to walk around the car in the garage. I used the bicycle water bottle holder idea for the UMC and made a oval cable holder out of wood.

View attachment 101773View attachment 101774

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a picture of the UMC and cable plugged into a #6 RV, 14-50 extension cord. Notice the size difference, and you don't have to pick up the picture!

After operating for 15 minutes at 40 Amps, the UMC cable was noticeably warm, but the #6, RV cable was cool to the touch.

View attachment 57487

Remember that your 6 gauge extension has an unused (by tesla) neutral line it. In reality, the extension *could* be 1/3 smaller. But no one will make you one w/o a neutral. The Tesla cord does not have the neutral. Still tiny by comparison though.