Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Origin book by Dan Brown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the latest book by Dan Brown (self proclaimed not-a-car-guy praising his Model X in a recent interview), author of Da Vinci Code, Inferno, Angels and Demons etc.

In the book, one of the the main characters, Edmond Kirsch, futurist and entrepreneur, has a Model X P90D. Very positive mention of Tesla and its features (summon, Autopilot, Ludicrous acceleration etc).

But you know the book is fictitious when it says, quote: "... his favorite sports car - a Tesla Model X P90D that Elon Musk had allegedly hand-delivered to him as a gift..." :)

The book appears to be average, but mentioning Tesla takes it one level above average.

Dan is also a Model X owner. Here's a quote from a recent profile of him in the NYT:

The World According to Dan Brown

"Mr. Brown does not have a lot in common with Edmond Kirsch, the futurologist and entrepreneur of his book, but they do share a car: the Tesla Model X, the least expensive version of which costs about $80,000. Among other things, it can drive and park itself.

[...] he bought a Lexus hybrid SUV, and then after that a Tesla sports car, which also did not sit easily with him.

“I felt like a jerk,” he said. “ I felt like I needed a gold chain and a ponytail or something. This one feels like the minivan of Teslas.”

He and I got into the car, which indeed looked kind of minivan-esque until it accelerated from 0 to 60 in under three seconds, right in the (not very long) driveway, and then switched lanes by itself on the highway."

Did anyone else notice he says the X has halogen headlights? He puts so much research into these books to get something like this so wrong. It really grinds my gears. Anyone else get annoyed by this?

Wait, let me get this straight: You got annoyed by Brown writing halogen lights, but not that the Model X parked itself in the underground garage of Kirsch's residence in Barcelona? It's a SF novel after all, so maybe the halogen lights in Kirsch's X are part of AP3.0 and FSD, that we're not yet aware of? :) :) :)

BTW, Dan Brown is a Model X owner himself, according to this article:
The World According to Dan Brown

"Mr. Brown does not have a lot in common with Edmond Kirsch, the futurologist and entrepreneur of his book, but they do share a car: the Tesla Model X, the least expensive version of which costs about $80,000. Among other things, it can drive and park itself."

I'm pretty sure he knows what kind of lights his MX has, so there must be a reason to write that. Or perhaps he's just joking :)

Reactions: JimVandegriff
@Mitrovic Zoran, it was alright, but I don't share the sentiment that it's his best. It was a good read, but his first books were better, IMHO. I think if I was given this book without knowing the author, I would've guessed with 100% certainty that it is from Dan Brown. Too obvious and similar to the other. The theme itself though, was thought-provoking, I must admit. Would still recommend it!

Reactions: Mitrovic