Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Origin of parts on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Infographic Reveals Tesla Model S Part Origins - Gas 2

tesla-info.jpg

Thanx for posting! +Rep:)

Relevant info from 10-K filing:

Model S uses over 2,000 purchased parts which we source globally from over 200 suppliers, many of whom are currently our single source suppliers for these components. We have developed close relationships with several key suppliers particularly in the procurement of cells and certain other key system parts. While we obtain components from multiple sources whenever possible, similar to other automobile manufacturers, many of the components used in our vehicles are purchased by us from a single source.

To date, we have not qualified alternative sources for most of the single sourced components used in our vehicles and we generally do not maintain long-term agreements with our suppliers. While we believe that we may be able to establish alternate supply relationships and can obtain or engineer replacement components for our single source components, we may be unable to do so in the short term or at all at prices or costs that are favorable to us. For example, while several sources of the battery cell we have selected for our battery packs are available, we have fully qualified only two suppliers for these cells. Any disruption in the supply of battery cells from either vendor could temporarily disrupt production of the vehicles until such time as a different supplier is fully qualified and there can be no assurance that we would be able to successfully retain alternative suppliers on a timely basis. Moreover, battery cell manufactures may not supply us at reasonable prices or on reasonable terms or may choose to refuse to supply electric vehicle manufacturers to the extent they determine that the vehicles are not sufficiently safe.

We use various raw materials in our business including aluminum, steel, nickel and copper. The prices for these raw materials fluctuate depending on market conditions and global demand for these materials. We believe that we have adequate supplies or sources of availability of the raw materials necessary to meet our manufacturing and supply requirements. There are always risks and uncertainties, however, with respect to the supply of raw materials that could impact their availability in sufficient quantities or reasonable prices to meet our needs.

- - - Updated - - -

+pdf with hires image View attachment CA843311210.PDF

It was an odd coincidence... I was at the bowling alley the other night, I noticed the manager talking to what looked like a sales lady. She finished her business and walked outside, only to come back in and ask "who owns the Tesla?" After the manager pointed me out, she walked over to me and asked me how I liked it. She noted that she was from Magna, who supplies the headliners to Tesla -- a company ~25 miles from me in BFE, Illinois. She expressed surprise that someone in rural USA would own a Tesla this early and asked if I would be interested in dropping by the factory to show it to their leaders.

• Informative
Reactions: Texas
Very interesting post. Imagine you are the manager responsible for having all those supplier parts designed, made to specs, assembled, quality checked, safety checked, delivered on time and built into the car .... the infographic really demonstrates how compex building something like a car on an industrial scale is. Amazing Tesla has pulled it off.

I thought Panasonic supplied the Lithium Iode batteries.

10-K say that Tesla use two lithium ion cells suppliers, and if one them will have problems, it could affect Tesla production. So they both supply significant volume already.

One of those two suppliers is definitely the Panasonic. I would love to know who is the second one. The good news is that there are more then two li-ion suppliers selected by Tesla. And if more qualify and start deliveries to Tesla - the better for Tesla. Li-ion suppliers will compete on quality, timed delivery, and above all on price and contract terms among themselves. Which will give TM flexibility on production rate, some protection from force majeures, like tsunamis/earthquakes/nuke reactors meltdowns in Japan or other countries. Cells are the one of the most critical component of S, and probably most expansive one. And it is already good that they got 2, not just single Panasonic... But looking forward to hear that Tesla got more...

- - - Updated - - -

It was an odd coincidence... I was at the bowling alley the other night, I noticed the manager talking to what looked like a sales lady. She finished her business and walked outside, only to come back in and ask "who owns the Tesla?" After the manager pointed me out, she walked over to me and asked me how I liked it. She noted that she was from Magna, who supplies the headliners to Tesla -- a company ~25 miles from me in BFE, Illinois. She expressed surprise that someone in rural USA would own a Tesla this early and asked if I would be interested in dropping by the factory to show it to their leaders.

So have you agreed to have a Tesla time with Magna managers? Would be nice if they start driving Teslas :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder how they got all that info. Not sure Tesla wants it out there for public knowledge? Too late if it's the case.

Major players in industry, whatever parts they supply, pretty much know anyway who won Tesla's contracts, and have a good idea on what terms, especially if they themselves tried to compete for those contracts. And those who do not have an expertise/knowledge of who is who on particular niche market doesn't matter anyway. So it is not a big deal.

Once upon a time in my strangely twisted life I was responsible for significant purchases of particular products. In whole country there were only 3 suppliers who can deliver volume we needed. And sure they perfectly knew each other. And in short period of time I learned all that one could know about all three, how long delivery would take, specs, drawback of products, price they could go down to and quality and responsiveness of after sale service each of them provided...

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing new. This was already posted somewhere on this forum back in december.
Edit: looking very hard to find the original thread, can't find it here so must have read it elsewhere :oops:, I stand corrected: great post/find! :smile:

I believe there was a very similar thread with same style image about Roadster suppliers.:smile:

Last edited:
I thought Panasonic supplied the Lithium Iode batteries.
Panasonic is the confirmed supplier, but there's apparently a second one. Makes sense given 3.6V, 3100mAh is no longer cutting edge. There 3.7-3.78V, 3000mAh cells from LG and Samsung that can provide the same capacity. But beyond that there's not many choices (esp. since Panasonic bought Sanyo and Sony does not have higher capacity cells out yet).

Tried to figure out who is the second lithium ion battery supplier of Tesla Motors...

I had not nailed down the company name(are you there, TEG?), but it do looks like a Chinese plant. More specifically li-ion shipments seems to be coming from Hong Kong port.

Part of the problem is that data are incomplete, and many shipments go not directly to Fremont plant, but shipped to headquarter. I assume many of those are parts from wannabe suppliers for testing and qualification. And on top of that it looks like Tesla is using some sorts of hubs in Asia and Europe. So local, I assume smaller suppliers do not ship directly to US Tesla addresses, but first to local Tesla warehouse, and then Tesla take care of international shipments.

But still many companies are visible, from Thailand, Germany, South Korea, Taiwan, India, Japan, China, Belgium, Singapore, Ireland and more...

Here is a chart, huge spike when production of S started, spike is around Oct '12. And do not look at chart going down at the end, it simply cuz data was available for a smaller part of March '13.

shipments.jpg

PS. LG and Samsung are definitely not involved, there are few South Korean companies, but they have nothing to do with battery industry, plus they all ship directly to US.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually LG or Samsung could have plants in China... I know Panasonic is building one there, so Koreans might also have a presence in China.

Last edited:
Actually LG or Samsung could have plants in China... I know Panasonic is building one there, so Koreans might also have a presence in China.
Samsung has 18650 battery plants in China that can provide the 3000mAh cells I talked about. I don't believe LG has one though (they are planning one like Panasonic). But in all cases, there are Chinese suppliers of Japanese and Korean made cells, although it's unclear they can supply in the volume that Tesla requires (since I think they are just re-sellers).