Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original 12V battery @ 99k miles. Should I proactively replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talk to Tesla Service this week about this exact issue. I called to ask if I should replace the12volt for a trip I'm heading out on soon as it is three and a half years old. He said the battery would give me lots of warning and I didn't need to worry about it. He also said that a battery normally last three to five years.

In my 4+ year old Leaf, it suddenly started generating odd error messages, but it powered up, windows went up/down, radio played, etc., but car would not engage drive. Couldn't get it into neutral either. With a jump battery, it went into neutral and was taken to dealer. One of the cells in the 12V failed, so it provided voltage, just not enough.

So, PSA, if the original battery makes it four years, replace that 12V if you don't want an unpleasant surprise.

I talk to Tesla Service this week about this exact issue. I called to ask if I should replace the12volt for a trip I'm heading out on soon as it is three and a half years old. He said the battery would give me lots of warning and I didn't need to worry about it. He also said that a battery normally last three to five years.

About to roll over 100k. I mentioned to tech on original battery. He said better to replace than the sometimes no warning. Last thing I want is a side of the road in middle of February with the whole dolly scenario. Replacement next week.

I have never had a 12v battery last 5 years on a car frequently used.

I got the "12 V battery needs service - replace battery soon" message about two weeks ago and had the battery replaced yesterday. I got about 4.5 years out of the battery, which seems within the range quoted by Tesla. My car is relatively low mileage, at 44K but the wear and tear on the 12 V battery seems to be from having the car sitting idle rather than when driving with the main battery connected, so I doubt that mileage is much of a factor.

I appreciate that Tesla tries to give a proactive message to replace the battery. Is it perfect? No, but what is the alternative? With an ICE, a struggling starter motor was often the sign of a failing battery but how to know in an electric vehicle? One of my worries with my hybrid was that the automatic start/stop would conceal the problem but that car got traded for the Tesla before the battery failed.

I appreciate that Tesla tries to give a proactive message to replace the battery. Is it perfect? No, but what is the alternative? With an ICE, a struggling starter motor was often the sign of a failing battery but how to know in an electric vehicle? One of my worries with my hybrid was that the automatic start/stop would conceal the problem but that car got traded for the Tesla before the battery failed.
In a hybrid the clue is that there is some hesitation when starting (had this happen a couple of times). However, there is not much warning. Once I took it in to get the battery replaced and the service person couldn't start it as the 12V didn't have enough juice to throw the relay to the HV circuit. S 12V battery is now at five years.

I was driving from Richmond to Florida Sunday, got to Rocky Mount. Car went into shutdown mode at 75mph hour. It was crazy . I left Richmond with 200 miles charge. I was going 115 miles.all of sudden my range went to zero. Got message to pull over immediately. I was on I95. Total shock set in very fast, within 1 minute I was dead. I called Tesla. Take car to Service Center. U idiot I'm 100 miles away. What's wrong? Your 12v battery is dead. WHY? No warning, zero. I took to super charger 2 miles away. Took 6 calls to help I got a women who knew how to get door open, pin down to allow charge. She said 12v battery had to be above 13 volts. Need big truck alternator to jump Tesla to gain 13 volts. Called tow guy, we jumped from truck. Took 30 minutes to get car battery to 13v, and car came alive. Charged up to 180 miles. It all went fine next guy said ""it will happen again if you try to drive to Florida ""
I decided to trailer it home. I got home last night,.. magically, 14.5 volts. After flashers on all day. Just magic.
Plugged in car last night, 14.7 volts . Unplugged car. Hour later 12.5. I will change battery
Takes DSC-33IT.

I was driving from Richmond to Florida Sunday, got to Rocky Mount. Car went into shutdown mode at 75mph hour. It was crazy . I left Richmond with 200 miles charge. I was going 115 miles.all of sudden my range went to zero. Got message to pull over immediately. I was on I95. Total shock set in very fast, within 1 minute I was dead. I called Tesla. Take car to Service Center. U idiot I'm 100 miles away. What's wrong? Your 12v battery is dead. WHY? No warning, zero. I took to super charger 2 miles away. Took 6 calls to help I got a women who knew how to get door open, pin down to allow charge. She said 12v battery had to be above 13 volts. Need big truck alternator to jump Tesla to gain 13 volts. Called tow guy, we jumped from truck. Took 30 minutes to get car battery to 13v, and car came alive. Charged up to 180 miles. It all went fine next guy said ""it will happen again if you try to drive to Florida ""
I decided to trailer it home. I got home last night,.. magically, 14.5 volts. After flashers on all day. Just magic.
Plugged in car last night, 14.7 volts . Unplugged car. Hour later 12.5. I will change battery
Takes DSC-33IT.
Are they not a common battery that can be purchased at an auto parts store?

Tried to order from BatterySharks, takes special, DSC-33RIT. the R is for reversed poles. The positive is towards front of car,
And the poles set back from center.
Good on finding one. Someone said Tesla has contract to be only seller. Not sure yet, isee where guy paid $125.

On Sunday I was on the way back to Florida. All of a sudden at 75mph my car shutdown. I was ready to get off at Rocky Mount, NC. The car died within ONE minute, like 100 yards coasting. Towed to super charger, Tesla said 12v was bad, take to SC. Then it got crazy. Bought volt meter. Took car apart to get to battery. It had 12.5 volts. Talked to Tesla 4 times. Finally lady said u need over 13.5 volts before car will power up. Only way to get the high voltage is a jump from big truck. I called tow man. He came and jumped. 20 minutes it came to life. Finally it had 14.7 volts. I connected to super charger, charged to 200 miles. Next a man said it would happen again. I decided to trailer it home. Towed 12 hours with flashers on. Got home, SHOCK. 12v had 14.5 volts.
I'm still amazed. I've driven yesterday and today fine.
Oh, good luck on finding a battery, it is DSC-33RIT, no one has them.