Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original HPWC Unit Stopped Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My original HPWC stopped working the other day after over 4 years of flawless charging with my Model S. The green LED comes on but I never hear the "click" in the unit and charging never starts when I plug it into my vehicle. Toggled the breaker a few times, inspected the cable and confirmed that my car charges fine on 110V with my mobile connector. Is there a way to service/troubleshoot the internal components of the unit? Would really prefer not to have to replace the unit if possible (newer ones don't even have a 24' cable).

Welcome suggestions! Thanks!

If it’s the click in the wall unit, others are right, it’s the contactor. An electric supply company will have them, or eBay.
Sounds like it isn’t the actuator on the car since your mobile connector works.
If you end up not fixing it, let me know I would be interested in it. I have a gen 1 HPWC and need a new front panel.

disconnect the wires from the contractor relay and read impedance across the coil. Should be between about 50-150 ohms. Google the part number of the contactor to find the specific spec. If it’s below 40 or above 200 then the coil is probably failed.