Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

• Total voters

BostonBurley

Jan 13, 2021
South Pas
Totally not a statistical sample. I’d wager the replacement rate <5%. Not sure how we’d ever find out, but I have 8 friends (plus me) with 2012-2014 S and not a single battery replacement.
I have 9 friends with Model S and not one is using its original drive unit, several on reman batteries. What was that again about not being a statistical sample?
I hear cars all the time at the charger with drive unit whine, and I know it’s the bearing. But they don’t. And they’ll probably never take it in and it will never be counted. But that car needs a new drive unit. The poll is asking forum members and they’re answering. No fanboi

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
I have 9 friends with Model S and not one is using its original drive unit, several on reman batteries. What was that again about not being a statistical sample?
I hear cars all the time at the charger with drive unit whine, and I know it’s the bearing. But they don’t. And they’ll probably never take it in and it will never be counted. But that car needs a new drive unit. The poll is asking forum members and they’re answering. No fanboi
This thread is not about drive units.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi and Rocky_H

SmartElectric

Jul 9, 2014
Toronto,Canada
Click No on poll. All original 2013 85 @ 95% capacity. Highly doubt the pack replacement is 46% of 2012/2013 owners, but at 39 votes not much to say yet. Thanks for the poll, I've been wondering if there is an old poll elsewhere on the forum for this question with a larger response? Anyone?

huntjo

Aug 3, 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado
I clicked yes on the poll, because that is what has been recommended by Tesla service in Superior, CO due to failed contactor. I have not pulled the trigger but am debating between $15-20k replacement battery as advised or just trading in my 2012 Sig Red S that is 5 months past its 8 year warranty.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
I clicked yes on the poll, because that is what has been recommended by Tesla service in Superior, CO due to failed contactor. I have not pulled the trigger but am debating between $15-20k replacement battery as advised or just trading in my 2012 Sig Red S that is 5 months past its 8 year warranty.
Huh? Early in the life of my 2012 there was a TSB on contactors. Mine were replaced… did not require replacement of battery. Look for 3rd party input, and maybe you will find someone to repair.

Reactions: aerodyne

henderrj

Jun 16, 2014
Graham, WA, United States

I'd contact Jason Hughes AKA wk057

EV_Neebie

Jul 20, 2021
Marion, KS
I'm wondering if anyone, other than Tesla, could perform an analysis of where their cars are parked, based on climate/nominal ambient temperature, and correlate these data against battery longevity and failure rates? For example, perform a degree-day analysis against the HV battery's degradation and/or failure rates by car parking locations. In some way, climate change is going impact battery efficiency and service cycle durations, similarly to its impact on fossil fuel consumption rates. This information would be valuable to owners and purchasers of used Teslas especially if they are past warranty.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC