Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally not a statistical sample. I’d wager the replacement rate <5%. Not sure how we’d ever find out, but I have 8 friends (plus me) with 2012-2014 S and not a single battery replacement.
I have 9 friends with Model S and not one is using its original drive unit, several on reman batteries. What was that again about not being a statistical sample?
I hear cars all the time at the charger with drive unit whine, and I know it’s the bearing. But they don’t. And they’ll probably never take it in and it will never be counted. But that car needs a new drive unit. The poll is asking forum members and they’re answering. No fanboi

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and WhiteWi
I have 9 friends with Model S and not one is using its original drive unit, several on reman batteries. What was that again about not being a statistical sample?
I hear cars all the time at the charger with drive unit whine, and I know it’s the bearing. But they don’t. And they’ll probably never take it in and it will never be counted. But that car needs a new drive unit. The poll is asking forum members and they’re answering. No fanboi
This thread is not about drive units.

I clicked yes on the poll, because that is what has been recommended by Tesla service in Superior, CO due to failed contactor. I have not pulled the trigger but am debating between $15-20k replacement battery as advised or just trading in my 2012 Sig Red S that is 5 months past its 8 year warranty.

I clicked yes on the poll, because that is what has been recommended by Tesla service in Superior, CO due to failed contactor. I have not pulled the trigger but am debating between $15-20k replacement battery as advised or just trading in my 2012 Sig Red S that is 5 months past its 8 year warranty.
Huh? Early in the life of my 2012 there was a TSB on contactors. Mine were replaced… did not require replacement of battery. Look for 3rd party input, and maybe you will find someone to repair.

Reactions: aerodyne
I'm wondering if anyone, other than Tesla, could perform an analysis of where their cars are parked, based on climate/nominal ambient temperature, and correlate these data against battery longevity and failure rates? For example, perform a degree-day analysis against the HV battery's degradation and/or failure rates by car parking locations. In some way, climate change is going impact battery efficiency and service cycle durations, similarly to its impact on fossil fuel consumption rates. This information would be valuable to owners and purchasers of used Teslas especially if they are past warranty.

UPDATE: May 3, 2021 - I got a call from one of the Service Technicians at the Superior Tesla Service Center. Aside from an apology for the prior miscommunications, he explained much, and per my request followed up with an email so I would have a record of our discussion. Here are excerpts from the email I received, which accurately reflects what we discussed as it pertains to the HV battery:

"Just wanted to follow up and try and provide a summary of what we discussed over the phone regarding the new HV battery we recently installed in your vehicle. I do apologize again for the miscommunication about the charging rates. Unfortunately, even though the battery itself is capable of charging at a higher rate, the other charging components installed in the vehicle are not capable of charging higher than what you are currently seeing under ideal conditions. This is something we definitely should have communicated better with you and I am sorry for that.

I asked one of the high voltage battery engineers about the change in voltage from 400 to 350 and found out the internal architecture of this battery is different than what your vehicle originally had installed. This new architecture actually allows for improved performance than your original battery was capable of at a slightly reduced voltage. This is due to some different battery cell chemistry as well as improvements to other hardware within the battery. These changes create a more consistent voltage during acceleration (less voltage drop) and improved and more consistent current flow to the drive unit increasing the performance of the vehicle.

The last thing I would like to mention is that the battery you have is completely brand new, no remanufactured or used parts are present, even the housing is a completely new piece. I hope this helps explain a little more about your battery. If you do have any further questions I can answer, please feel free to reach out."

I appreciate the communication and clarifications. We would have done the same repair with this information, but our expectations would have been different. I am satisfied with this response from Tesla.
Appreciate the information from this post. I’ve been very fortunate to have had my 85Kwh battery replaced by a refurbished 90Kwh under warranty. I have similar charge speeds as you with 370km of range currently. I’m really happy with these stats.

I am still wondering though, based on your feedback from Tesla, if it would ever be possible to unlock higher charge speeds with upgrades of different components that are not included with the battery upgrade. That would really improve the older Tesla’s quality of life in the modern 200kW charge speeds era.

If there are more owners with a 90Kwh upgrade I’m very curious to hear their stories and experiences as well.

I am still wondering though, based on your feedback from Tesla, if it would ever be possible to unlock higher charge speeds with upgrades of different components that are not included with the battery upgrade.
"other components" is the key. Those older cars have thinner internal power cables than a lot of the later cars, so it's current limited in the wiring as well, even if the cars got newer battery chemistries that can handle the higher charge rates. So for the older S and X cars, it's probably going to be limited to about 120-140 kW as a maximum if the internal power cables are not changed.

Reactions: Rqcg
Appreciate the information from this post. I’ve been very fortunate to have had my 85Kwh battery replaced by a refurbished 90Kwh under warranty. I have similar charge speeds as you with 370km of range currently. I’m really happy with these stats.

I am still wondering though, based on your feedback from Tesla, if it would ever be possible to unlock higher charge speeds with upgrades of different components that are not included with the battery upgrade. That would really improve the older Tesla’s quality of life in the modern 200kW charge speeds era.

If there are more owners with a 90Kwh upgrade I’m very curious to hear their stories and experiences as well.
Our max charge speed is now 125kW. This is a limitation of other components such as wiring, contactors, etc. which would have been costly to replace and overall made a real difference in charging times when traveling. Our 2012 Signature Edition P85 charges much faster than it originally did. We're very happy with the upgrade we purchased.

Reactions: Rqcg and AustinP
Our max charge speed is now 125kW. This is a limitation of other components such as wiring, contactors, etc. which would have been costly to replace and overall made a real difference in charging times when traveling. Our 2012 Signature Edition P85 charges much faster than it originally did. We're very happy with the upgrade we purchased.

Was your pack replacement a 90 KW unit? What I'm most curious about is the kind of range you are now seeing?

"other components" is the key. Those older cars have thinner internal power cables than a lot of the later cars, so it's current limited in the wiring as well, even if the cars got newer battery chemistries that can handle the higher charge rates. So for the older S and X cars, it's probably going to be limited to about 120-140 kW as a maximum if the internal power cables are not changed.
Correct! When I got a reman battery thefirst time I went from A to B part numbers, and the max charge rate went from 90 to 120+, but that only last a few years and it was back down to a peak of 95-99. Then a third battery when that one failed also peaked at over 130 at times, but a few months later and it was down to about 110 peak. Must be how it learns the battery potential and your power electronics potential. Longevity is better than slightly higher charge rates.

They have a new 90kwh pack and they'll probably see 265 rated (that's what I had in my 2012 w/ new 90kwh pack).
Strange bc someone else showed 283 miles on a 2012 P85 with a new 90kwh pack. Software?
I think 280 or so is probably what the epa would have rated it, but since they never had the chance they leave it at 265? Who knows. Older Tesla’s aren’t really a concern for Tesla. Good riddance.

After setting destination as a supercharger I drove for 45 minutes, then plugged in with a “warmed up” battery at 12%. Superchargers are V3, and this is as fast as it went. Reality vs Elon what claims/claimed is a healthy paradox to be made aware of.

Attachments

• 73043C32-08F0-4B93-B584-D213C5C5C9A9.jpeg
    73043C32-08F0-4B93-B584-D213C5C5C9A9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122