Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I ask what you got for your '13 Tesla (w/ details (i.e., miles, options))? Did it take awhile (being that your warranty was pretty much over) to sell? Mine is the 'first edition' '12 MS w/ 50kmi Performance Version (pretty much all the upgrades except the moon roof). A purchased the car last April at 40kmi for $35k. Out of curiosity I inquired what Tesla would offer me -- they offered $25k.
Sure--these were the paid options on the car
  • Tech package
  • Studio sound package
  • Parcel shelf - (yes, it used to be a $250 option)
  • Dual chargers
  • Pano roof
  • Tan interior
  • MC Red paint
  • Active Air Suspension
The physically was in good shape in them do of wear and tear on the interior and exterior, but high milage - 137K. Tesla offered me 11K, Carvana offered me $15K.

Can I ask what you got for your '13 Tesla (w/ details (i.e., miles, options))? Did it take awhile (being that your warranty was pretty much over) to sell? Mine is the 'first edition' '12 MS w/ 50kmi Performance Version (pretty much all the upgrades except the moon roof). A purchased the car last April at 40kmi for $35k. Out of curiosity I inquired what Tesla would offer me -- they offered $25k.
You wont get much more than that. I traded in a "14 with autopilot and 63k miles for 26k. Its ashame that tesla buyers are few and far between someone missed out on free supercharging, updated MCU2 and free premium connectivity.

I’m in a similar boat as you, except I have not seriously considered selling yet. As far as I know, I have the original battery (D pack), however I suppose it’s possible that it has been changed once by the previous owner.

I have a 2013 P85, purchased 2.5 years ago with 58k, now just over 100k miles. Currently with no issues, 90% has 221 rated miles (I think it was as high as 235 when first bought).

My DU was replaced once, only because I read about the milling sounds and inquired about it, leading to the replacement. It didn’t have any obvious driving issues when it was replaced.

My 2013 P85 battery/DU warranty expires in August. I am still on my original pack that has had no issues, but I am reading stories of out of warranty pack replacements costing north of $20,000. I am trying to gauge how many original owners of cars of my vintage have had their packs replaced.

My dilemma is whether to keep the car past warranty, and roll the dice on the battery (and DU, of which I've had 5), or sell the car and apply those funds to a new Model 3/Y. My out of pocket on that will be roughly equal to the cost of a new 85 kWh pack out of warranty.

Advice?

Mine is on its third pack. Selling it shortly since its out of warranty as well.
Update: For my charging issue, it did turned out to be an onboard charge(r) issue. I was unaware of this but my 2012 P85 Performance w/ 50k miles (not sure what other cars/years are the same) has '2' onboard chargers - an 80A and a 40A. Well it looks like the 80A went bad. Couldn't really understand the SC tech's explanation of how/why the charging system defaults to the 80A one (when I choose/use 240V/40A level 2 charging at home) but he went on to say that they could simply rewire the charging system so that it uses the 40A alone OR pay $2700 for a new 80A charger. I chose to risk it and run off the lone 40A charger for now. I'll be looking at one of the third-party extended warranty/repair plans or possibly just upgrading to a newer Tesla with an active warranty. Anyway, just wanted to follow up with what happened in my case. Total cost was $310 for diagnosis (2hrs at $155/hr).

Wow they charged you $310 to diagnose one of the onboard chargers as dead? I've repaired mine twice easily. Most early gen 40amp chargers in S's all seem to have a flaw with the fuses or something causing the fuses to eventually pop, but it feels more like aging on the fuse. (12-14ish models had option for 'dual' 40amp onboard chargers for total of 80, as others pointed out). In vast majority of cases of onboard charger failures in early S/X It's a ~$20-30 fix (replace fuses) and a few hours to get it out. One is definitely simpler due to less that can go wrong in long run, and honestly in the ~6 years I had my 13' S I can only think of maybe once or twice I would have been able to use the dual charger.

Did you get your old charger back? It's worth a lot of money just by replacing a fuse.

• Informative
Reactions: Rusty1
I've posted the receipt for an HV replacement (2012 Sig. P85). It was replaced at 162,000 miles (now at 175,000) along with the 12v. MCU, DU, sunroof to v2 were all done by the previous owner(s) as was the HV replacement.

I'd like to know what the DU costs out of warranty...everything else is "manageable."
After my DU was replaced under warranty, I did ask out of curiosity how much the cost would’ve been if it were not. I believe the number they quoted me was around $6000.

• Informative
Reactions: AmpedRealtor
We just replaced our original, pre-production 85 kWh battery in our 2012 Signature Edition P85 at 122,000 miles. While a remanufactured battery might have been an option at $16,000 installed, it would have charged at only 90kW maximum, had a "rated range" of 256 miles, and had a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty. Instead we chose to upgrade to a new 90 kWh battery, which is capable of charging (under ideal conditions) at up to 250 kW, and gives us closer to 300 miles of range for $22,000 installed. It also comes with a 4 year/50,000 miles warranty.

Attachments

• 20210412_091654.jpg
    20210412_091654.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 586
Hi everybody...brand new Tesla owner having just purchased a 2013 85. I can add a data point or two here. The 2013 I purchased from its original owner was very well maintained and now has 121,000 or so miles on a 85 kWh pack that was out of the vehicle in 2015 and sent back to Fremont for remanufacture. My understanding is that Tesla diagnosis indicated some unknown number of cells were in need of replacement and that was all done under warranty at around 45,000 miles. My impression of the condition of the HV pack right now is that it is still capable of 200 plus mile range from a 90% starting SOC but I have yet to see the pack accept more than around 40 kW of charge even at a 150 kW Supercharger with a light crowd of nearby vehicles charging. Not sure if this is age related or I just haven't found the right combination of a low SOC starting place and a supercharger ready to rock and roll!.

As you can imagine, I'm otherwise blown away by this car...my two Porsche ICEs are looking very nervous right about now...

2013 Tesla Model S (416 hp EV)
2015 Porsche Boxster (265 hp 2.7 liter flat 6)
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera S (385 hp 3.8 liter flat 6)
2002 Cirrus SR22 (310 hp 9.0 liter flat 6)

Hi everybody...brand new Tesla owner having just purchased a 2013 85. I can add a data point or two here. The 2013 I purchased from its original owner was very well maintained and now has 121,000 or so miles on a 85 kWh pack that was out of the vehicle in 2015 and sent back to Fremont for remanufacture. My understanding is that Tesla diagnosis indicated some unknown number of cells were in need of replacement and that was all done under warranty at around 45,000 miles. My impression of the condition of the HV pack right now is that it is still capable of 200 plus mile range from a 90% starting SOC but I have yet to see the pack accept more than around 40 kW of charge even at a 150 kW Supercharger with a light crowd of nearby vehicles charging. Not sure if this is age related or I just haven't found the right combination of a low SOC starting place and a supercharger ready to rock and roll!.

As you can imagine, I'm otherwise blown away by this car...my two Porsche ICEs are looking very nervous right about now...

2013 Tesla Model S (416 hp EV)
2015 Porsche Boxster (265 hp 2.7 liter flat 6)
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera S (385 hp 3.8 liter flat 6)
2002 Cirrus SR22 (310 hp 9.0 liter flat 6)
Welcome and congrats. Excellent choice. You should post some pictures and tell your tale here : Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

We just replaced our original, pre-production 85 kWh battery in our 2012 Signature Edition P85 at 122,000 miles. While a remanufactured battery might have been an option at $16,000 installed, it would have charged at only 90kW maximum, had a "rated range" of 256 miles, and had a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty. Instead we chose to upgrade to a new 90 kWh battery, which is capable of charging (under ideal conditions) at up to 250 kW, and gives us closer to 300 miles of range for $22,000 installed. It also comes with a 4 year/50,000 miles warranty.
What kind of issues were you having that required a replacement?

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. While the poll isn't scientific, obviously, it looks like a 50/50 split. Those are not great odds. It seems fair to assume I have a better than 50/50 chance of needing to replace the battery in the next 3-5 years based on what I'm reading, or at least have it repaired. There seems to be only one place nationally that can properly service Tesla batteries (Gruber) and that makes me feel a little uneasy.

If I buy a M3/Y, will I feel this way again in 4 years? Assuming the Model 3/Y are not experiencing anywhere close to what we have experienced with regards to battery and drive unit problems.
Totally not a statistical sample. I’d wager the replacement rate <5%. Not sure how we’d ever find out, but I have 8 friends (plus me) with 2012-2014 S and not a single battery replacement.

Our first V3 Supercharge with the NEW 90 kWh battery in our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S

We went to the Thornton Supercharger which is V3 and and should deliver upto 250 kW. Driving from Cheyenne, Wyoming in 70°+ weather, and destination programmed in to pre-condition we were hoping for faster charging than what we get in Cheyenne, which is V2 (150 kW maximum).

We arrived with 20 percent SOC (State Of Charge) and were underwhelmed by the result, 115 kW. We charged for 12 minutes and were at 52 percent SOC, which actually is much better than our original battery. We'll see if Tesla can do anything to improve this, but even if they can't, it maintained greater than 100 kW during the entire charging session. Our old battery would have had a maximum rate of 88kW and during most of the charging session would be 30 - 45 kW.

The only source of our disappointment was the expectation created by what the representatives from Tesla stated about the upgrade battery performance. They need to either be more realistic or figure why our battery is not operating in the manner they said it would (V3). Had they told us that it would perform like this (V2), we still would have picked the upgrade instead of a remanufactured replacement, but would not have any sense of disappointment about it. I hope sharing this information helps others who are considering options if their Tesla High Voltage battery is out of warranty and needs replacement.

UPDATE: May 3, 2021 - I got a call from one of the Service Technicians at the Superior Tesla Service Center. Aside from an apology for the prior miscommunications, he explained much, and per my request followed up with an email so I would have a record of our discussion. Here are excerpts from the email I received, which accurately reflects what we discussed as it pertains to the HV battery:

"Just wanted to follow up and try and provide a summary of what we discussed over the phone regarding the new HV battery we recently installed in your vehicle. I do apologize again for the miscommunication about the charging rates. Unfortunately, even though the battery itself is capable of charging at a higher rate, the other charging components installed in the vehicle are not capable of charging higher than what you are currently seeing under ideal conditions. This is something we definitely should have communicated better with you and I am sorry for that.

I asked one of the high voltage battery engineers about the change in voltage from 400 to 350 and found out the internal architecture of this battery is different than what your vehicle originally had installed. This new architecture actually allows for improved performance than your original battery was capable of at a slightly reduced voltage. This is due to some different battery cell chemistry as well as improvements to other hardware within the battery. These changes create a more consistent voltage during acceleration (less voltage drop) and improved and more consistent current flow to the drive unit increasing the performance of the vehicle.

The last thing I would like to mention is that the battery you have is completely brand new, no remanufactured or used parts are present, even the housing is a completely new piece. I hope this helps explain a little more about your battery. If you do have any further questions I can answer, please feel free to reach out."

I appreciate the communication and clarifications. We would have done the same repair with this information, but our expectations would have been different. I am satisfied with this response from Tesla.