Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange bc someone else showed 283 miles on a 2012 P85 with a new 90kwh pack. Software?
I think 280 or so is probably what the epa would have rated it, but since they never had the chance they leave it at 265? Who knows. Older Tesla’s aren’t really a concern for Tesla. Good riddance.

Could also be weather related as the displayed rated range will adjust depending on how hot or cold ambient is. I just provide the average, 265mi, that I was getting with the exact same setup as Jason.

Reactions: BostonBurley
After setting destination as a supercharger I drove for 45 minutes, then plugged in with a “warmed up” battery at 12%. Superchargers are V3, and this is as fast as it went. Reality vs Elon what claims/claimed is a healthy paradox to be made aware of.
And don’t believe in those 40’ estimated. My experience is I need to add 30% or so.
Tesla deliberately reduced the charging speed, they should be honest all the way and have the estimate also adapted.

Reactions: BostonBurley
It never went higher then that? Sometimes it takes a minute to ramp up as well.
I’ve put 218k miles on the car… I know.
I’m making a point that an older battery is going to disappoint if a quote read about a certain number of minutes to achieve a certain number of miles is taken seriously. Those are always optimal conditions, optimally newer battery, warm ambient, etc.. I never charge at an extended period over about 80kw. Maybe 105kw down to 80 over 5-7 minutes. Then it begins to maintain speed a little better.

Reactions: Rqcg
And don’t believe in those 40’ estimated. My experience is I need to add 30% or so.
Tesla deliberately reduced the charging speed, they should be honest all the way and have the estimate also adapted.
Minutes remaining is based on current charge rate. As charge rate decreases, time remaining is stagnant or slightly increases. Maybe that’s why it’s given in five minute intervals?

I think the data says it all, actually. If it hasn’t happened, it’s gonna.

Attachments

• D0241A11-2103-4F98-A279-BB5C206F89E2.jpeg
    D0241A11-2103-4F98-A279-BB5C206F89E2.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 575
Does anyone know:
1. What test Tesla performs to check for 30% battery degradation? Just looking at the range doesn't seem to tell the whole picture. My 85 kwh used to charge to 265 but would easily go further than that. Now it charges to 240ish but won't go nearly that far.
2. How much Tesla charges to do a warranty test on the battery?

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
Does anyone know:
1. What test Tesla performs to check for 30% battery degradation? Just looking at the range doesn't seem to tell the whole picture. My 85 kwh used to charge to 265 but would easily go further than that. Now it charges to 240ish but won't go nearly that far.
I can do a warranty test for you right now for free:

If you have an 85 kWh car, the warranty back then very specifically EXCLUDED degradation of capacity from warranty coverage. Period. End of. Easy peasy.

Does anyone know:
Wear on moving parts can be partially blamed, like drivetrain, wheel bearings, rear camber (not adjustable and unless new, it’s worn into the -2.0+ range, adding drag.
I never heard of anyone easily exceeding 265 miles on a single charge without taking extreme measures for the duration of the 265+ miles.
If you’re not achieving 240 miles on a full charge, rest assured, that’s completely normal. I’m at 240 on a full charge and my very best efforts yield 200-220, maybe. 340/wh

"I never heard..." - a bit of a hyperbole.
I can easily exceed rated range in my 70D - so not 265.
It really is easy. Mild temps, original non performance tires. Staying under 65 mph. I do it all the time.
My epa rating is at about 280 wh/mile. My lifetime is like 295 - which includes winter, 80 mph driving etc. Getting under 280 does not take extreme measures at all.
So there you go - you have now heard of 1 person who can beat rated range. But I also would not say that everyone can do that. Most people travel at greater than 65 mph on a trip - as do I. Or they live without charging and have to charge more often than expected - vampire etc. And then many people have performance tires and don't understand the efficiency hit. Or they park outside in the cold. Or a million other reasons. Most are easily identifiable.

"I never heard..." - a bit of a hyperbole.
I can easily exceed rated range in my 70D - so not 265.
It really is easy. Mild temps, original non performance tires. Staying under 65 mph. I do it all the time.
My epa rating is at about 280 wh/mile. My lifetime is like 295 - which includes winter, 80 mph driving etc. Getting under 280 does not take extreme measures at all.
So there you go - you have now heard of 1 person who can beat rated range. But I also would not say that everyone can do that. Most people travel at greater than 65 mph on a trip - as do I. Or they live without charging and have to charge more often than expected - vampire etc. And then many people have performance tires and don't understand the efficiency hit. Or they park outside in the cold. Or a million other reasons. Most are easily identifiable.
This is about the 85kwh pack in 2012-2013 models. Not hyperbolic, search the threads. Lots of good data. But yes, if you’re referencing something outside of the post topic, sure, I’m the idiot.

Fair enough. Just a bit tired of "impossible to reach range" claims. I don't think the EPA estimate (and the true efficiency) was particularly different from a 2015S and a 2013S - corrected for battery size when applicable - so that is why I felt it was relevant.
As someone out of warranty in 12 months - the thread title is very relevant. Although I understand the batteries changed design quite a bit in those early years.

Fair enough. Just a bit tired of "impossible to reach range" claims. I don't think the EPA estimate (and the true efficiency) was particularly different from a 2015S and a 2013S - corrected for battery size when applicable - so that is why I felt it was relevant.
As someone out of warranty in 12 months - the thread title is very relevant. Although I understand the batteries changed design quite a bit in those early years.
Actually a 70 vs 85 (or in your case, 70D) is vastly different. Apples to apples, as they say. We have one big or extra big rear motor. You have two Prius motors, basically. Far less power and acceleration and instead, a small front motor is always engaged and the rear motor only engages when necessary, when demand or traction allocate.
The early 85 and P85 range tests on brand new cars in optimal conditions is all the data one needs. But we have a plethora of data within the forums. I’d just compare a 70D to a 70D. I’m sure the wh/m is impressive and even achievable. The 85 is not easily achievable without a lot of effort and patience. The 70 is considerably more advanced in that department. Even power electronics. All that said, I like the steering feel on my RWD and wouldn’t trade it for a newer, albeit lesser, S. I’m driving the 2012 until it’s dead.

I've almost always matched or beat the EPA range in my 85. Excepting losses while the car is off of course, and winter time with heat. My highway speed is only 65. I still think a big contributing factor is HVAC. It's my understanding the EPA tests were done with HVAC off. Even in mild temperatures, with the HVAC system on it's difficult to match EPA range.

I've almost always matched or beat the EPA range in my 85. Excepting losses while the car is off of course, and winter time with heat. My highway speed is only 65. I still think a big contributing factor is HVAC. It's my understanding the EPA tests were done with HVAC off. Even in mild temperatures, with the HVAC system on it's difficult to match EPA range.
Remember when Elon said the car could exceed 300 miles at 55mph?
265 miles at 65mph must be achievable.
I’m not sure it’s safe to drive that slow on the freeway/highway. Maybe squeeze in between a couple Semi’s for a luxurious experience with no hvac. Lol. I can’t imagine.
An 85 S has the best chance of achieving its epa rating, especially at a jog without active creature comforts. But when the speed limit is 75/80, and most people are driving 5-15 over posted limit, 65 isn’t realistic. Neither is no radio, no hvac. These were pitched as no compromise electric sports sedans, and yet the things people have to do to achieve advertised range ratings is nothing short of humiliating.