Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

Original owners of 2012/2013 Model S w/ 85 kWh pack: Has your main pack been replaced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well for sure, radio doesn't count as anything. And generally a/c isn't a big issue either. Heat - sure.
I find (in my 70D experience) that drag goes down so much with increased temp that makes up for the a/c use. I have struggled some at ambient temp of 50 with no HVAC compared to 75 degrees with a/c. White car and all..
One of my biggest stretches was at 95 degrees with 3 people in the car and it did surprisingly well. Arrived home with 8 miles on the clock. Obviously a/c was on.
CA speeds are high. Most early owners are in CA. CA culture (and climate) favors performance tires. So there is potentially a lot of bias in those people compared to the East. The roads are fairly different there and that may also be a factor. Heck the low humidity might also be a factor.
I think we can all agree that no one gets rated range at typical highway speeds in CA - no version of any car. And I think we can agree that every car can get rated range at 55 mph at 60 degrees ambient with no HVAC on with small rims and all season LRR tires.
While the 85 and 70D are different cars, the EPA test was the same. I don't really think Tesla started gaming the test until 2018 or so. But even so, my wife's 19 3LR can beat EPA but not nearly as easily as the 70D.

Some of the 85 KW cars that were subjected to battery gate are never going to achieve their EPA rating again because the VMAX was reduced at the individual cell level. So there's actually less available capacity in the pack.

I personally lost approximately 20 miles of rated range overnight when I got the battery gate update. Of course as well known their excuse was is it was to extend battery life. Which it may well do but it sure made the car a lot less capable for traveling outside it's single charge range from my home charging solution.

Indicated rated range now is about 234 mi at 100% state of charge. That used to be what I would get at 90% SOC prior to battery gate.

Reactions: henderrj
Our upper limit in the state is 65. Not unsafe here.
Didn’t know that was the case! I believe you 100% if that’s your top cruising speed. I’ve driven from LA to Indianapolis area five times over the years and the speed limits and average speed just killed my efficiency. Keeping up with traffic netted me around 365 wh/m on all five trips. Primarily because I was driving 77-82mph on cruise control.
If you don’t mind me asking, which state?