Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orlando Airport (MCO) FastPark (off airport) parking/charging experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got back from a trip out west and parked our Model X at "FastPark and Relax", just north of the airport. I picked that lot because they said they had plenty of charging and is relatively cheap at $9.50 per day after tax. The other alternative is MCO's parking garage, which is almost double at $17 per day I think. I have no experience with MCO's parking garage.

I called a day before to make sure they had charging, they told me they had 8 J1772 spots, right in front, and additionally had 13 spots off to the side with 110V/20A outlets. As I was mainly concerned with keeping my Tesla "plugged in and happy", that sounded pretty safe to me, and I even let me battery run down to 50%.

When I got there, all J1772 spots were taken. I didn't look too closely, but they all seemed to be EV's charging, maybe half of them were Teslas. There might have been one that was ICEd. All the L1 plugs to the side though, were ICEd. Those spots were all painted green, with a sign designating them as EV charging spots. There was one lone spot at the very end that was empty, but only because it was partially blocked by a barrel, so people didn't bother trying to squeeze in there. I backed in successfully, and plugged in using my UMC, charging at 110V/15A, as I do not have a 20A plug.

I could not resist playing with the App while on the trip, changing the charge limit, etc, but at some point must have tripped the GFCI, which I confirmed when I got back to the car. Luckily I had plenty of range to make it home.

I reached out to the manager by e-mail, informing her of the situation, and that I chose that lot specifically because they advertised charging availability. She responded positively, indicating that in the past, those spots did not get any use, and that they had started just using them as regular spots, because they are relatively close to the front. She said that they would start implementing a policy where they would keep 3 spots coned off, to serve as charging overflow. 5 days after I received the response, I got back, but there were no spots coned off. It may just take them some time to get the process implemented. All L2 chargers were still full, after 12 days. Again I think they were mostly occupied by EV's.

As a parking facility, they seemed very professional, the shuttle ride was short, and we got on the shuttle right away. That part of the experience was superior to the North/Blue lot we used to park at. I would encourage someone who is planning to park there, to call a few days in advance to ensure that at least the L1 plugs will be available. For Teslas the L1 should be plenty to keep the car happily trickle charging over a few days. It seems like the demand is there, based on the 8 L2 spots being full during both my arrival and departure, so calling and checking on a spot will increase awareness of the employees to help with implementing the policy where they would cone off some of the L1 spots.

That is unfortunate. In Atlanta I use a parking operation called "Peachy Parking" that has 32 dedicated EV parking spots that are all coned off and usually close to full (all EVs). They are all 110v spots, but it is pretty rare to need anything more than that when parking at off-site parking.

They are great, and if all the EV spots are full they will take your keys and move your car into an EV spot as soon as one opens up and plug the car in for you. That has only happened to me once, back when I had a Leaf and needed a charge to make sure I had enough range to get back home after returning from my trip. Sure enough, I checked my app later on the day I departed and my car had been plugged in and was happily charging.

I live in Orlando and I’m heading out of town for a trip today. Partially because of this review (and partially because there are very few long term lots with chargers in Orlando) I wanted to use “Fast Park and Relax”. Unfortunately when I tried to make my reservation a week or so ago the website said that because of the holidays they were totally full, but I could call on the day of departure to see if anything had opened up.

I called this morning and initially I was told that they were full and couldn’t accommodate me. Then I mentioned that I had an electric car and he said “oh, actually I do have one electric car spot open”. So it appears that they do now give electric cars some priority for the spots with power, however, they definitely aren’t dedicated to electric cars. When I got there there was a standard Prius on one side of me and a older mini van on the other side, both also in electric car spots. (This was in the area with only 120V outlets)

That said, given the fact that the lot was at capacity due to the holidays I wouldn’t expect them to turn people away if they had open electric car spots. In fact I was a little surprised that they were still holding one electric spot.

The shuttle was quick and as stated, the lot is very close to the airport. So far my experience has been quite positive.