TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Orlando to Atlanta

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Gynob001, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

I plan to drive from Orlando to North Atlanta (about 500 miles). I don't see any super charges along the route. Has anyone driven this route?
    Any suggestions?

2. tigerade

tigerade Member

The "Coming Soon" map on Supercharger | Tesla Motors has the route nicely Supercharged.

But, at the moment it is not covered. I imagine that being a difficult trip without Superchargers.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

You can get the PlugShare app if you don't have it already, and there are Nissan dealers along I-75 that may let you charge. There's also at least one RV park that should have compatible high amperage outlets you can use.

New Superchargers for that route are planned to be operational before the end of the year.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Your fastest route will be to detour over to the I-5 Supercharger route. Savannah to Atlanta is 250 or so and up hill, so you will probably need a little top off before Atlanta. A few hints:

• Charge on the Supercharger until your charge rate is slower than your next L2 charger. In an 85 or a 14-50 in an RV Park. that is 20A from the Supercharger For a 30A L2 to an 85, the best time to move on is at 15A from the Supercharger.
    • As ironic as it sounds, slowing down can get you there faster because it reduces the time at the L2 charger or RV Park. Sometimes this is a chance to explore the byways. If you dare, you can greatly extend range by drafting semis. You have to be within a semi trailer length for this to be effective and stay focused; you are less than a second behind the truck at that point. Drafting can be very dangerous; only do it if you recognize the risk, pay extreme attention, and are wide awake.
    • 40A from a 14-50 at an RV park is 33% faster than a 30A L2. Many RV parks are not on Plugshare. I search "RV Park" on Google Maps. Call ahead and find one with something to do. If you find a good one, put it on Plugshare.
    • Many 30A L2's and some RV Parks are 208 Volts instead of the more typical residential 240 Volts. This info is really had to find out ahead of time because most folks just don't know or care. For you, 208 Volt charging is 16% slower than 240 Volt charging. If you find out by looking at your charge screen, put the info on Plugshare for others.
    • If all of this is too annoying (I have been driving a Tesla, living off the land, for over 5 years), just wait for the Superchargers to be on your route. On the other hand, planning ahead, and having that plan come together can be a wonderful adventure.

Good Luck!

5. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

We have the I-75 corridor well documented with RV park options in Recargo. Supposedly that data is on Plugshare too now, but I personally will vouch only for Recargo.

Read the descriptions, and read the checkins.

You might also check the regional thread, where this has been discussed a bit.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/101-Southeast

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

You have two options as Cottonwood pointed out.

RV parks up I-75. Probably need one (maybe two depending on where in Atlanta) around Tifton, GA. Shouldn't be hard to find an RV park out there. But then you deal with a long charge, before you can get the ~180 miles to Atlanta (not to mention the elevation gain).

The other (and probably better) option is longer distance, but uses superchargers (and puts you through some awful speed traps on US-301).

I-4 to I-95. Stop at the St Augustine Supercharger (little boost for extra speed). Stop at the Savannah supercharger (max charge to try to get to Atlanta). I-16 to I-75, probably stopping (mostly due to Elevation gain, and into prevailing headwinds) for an hour or two at an RV park outside Macon. If you drive slow enough, and have nice weather, or only need to get to the east side of Atlanta you might be able to do Savannah to Atlanta without an RV park.