Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Osceola, IA....my kingdom for a supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peelz

Budding EV fanatic.
Apr 10, 2021
SE Iowa, the armpit.
Had the first experience of not taking the Y because of range!! and Im sad. We're in SE iowa, on hwy 34 trying to get to KC for the soccer coaches conference. -5f at departure, 184 miles to Bethany, MO. math was telling me range of 195-222 miles @ 60-65.

too tight since I had a passenger, and we had time constraints, so I backed out and went ICE last minute. I was considering backroads down highway 136 but There's absolutely no viable options in central/rural MO either. (and don't expect there to be any time soon)

It did try to route me through south through Hannibal and across, but that added an hour and a half to the trip LOL

IMO, Osceola would be an ideal spot at the hwy 34 and int. 35 intersection. :) is there a suggestion box for potential superchargers? lol Or should I just be patient?

The Midwest definitely needs some more love. There's been a lot of improvement in the last two years, and it feels like the pace has been picking up with new installs. I'm not aware of any suggestion box, so all we can do is hope and wait. I would imagine Tesla will do their quarterly update of the Find Us map very soon, so that could give some indication of what to expect for 2022.

The Midwest definitely needs some more love. There's been a lot of improvement in the last two years, and it feels like the pace has been picking up with new installs. I'm not aware of any suggestion box, so all we can do is hope and wait. I would imagine Tesla will do their quarterly update of the Find Us map very soon, so that could give some indication of what to expect for 2022.
I would think Osceola would be a good place for a supercharger, to fill in a gap on I-35 between Des Moines and Bethany, MO.

Im sure gaps are going to close, they already did with the Mt P. chargers.. I watched that SE Iowa hole on the map for a few years begin to squeeze down. That was the final straw that got us to go demo the Tesla.

But that KC trip was the first time I was faced with a go/no go decision. Its always just GO. :)

Soon, that wont happen anymore....

When I visit family in rural Iowa, Osceola is the point where I leave/join the Interstate highways. With my current battery capacity and traveling in summer, I'm able to make this off-Interstate portion of the trip by just doing a little longer stop at Bethany, MO or Coralville, IA.

Having a location at Osceola to split the distance between Bethany and Des Moines would sure be more convenient for my travels.

Reactions: Peelz
When I visit family in rural Iowa, Osceola is the point where I leave/join the Interstate highways. With my current battery capacity and traveling in summer, I'm able to make this off-Interstate portion of the trip by just doing a little longer stop at Bethany, MO or Coralville, IA.

Having a location at Osceola to split the distance between Bethany and Des Moines would sure be more convenient for my travels.
Same. I drive across 34 to Osceola, then down 35 to KC. Bethany was JUUST on the edge (by mental math) of my cold weather range. Osceola would have made it a non issue.

For fun, On the way back, I took 136 up and went through Bloomfield. Just to see what its like, as an option. Less miles, more slower speeds. Well, I set a personal record with the ICE. 4:40 trip I did it around 3:50 on those backroads. Little to no traffic. :) But, I sure did miss that torque! Ill try that route to Bethany with the Tesla next time and keep speeds normal.