Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oscillating noise at 70mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I’m having issues with oscillating noise at highway speeds. I recently picked up my car from service during which both front bearings were replaced, but it did not fix the issue.
I made a video where this noise is heard and it sounds like ouuuuh....ouuuuh.....ouuuuh low pitch sound.
Here is a YouTube link:

Hi,
I’m having issues with oscillating noise at highway speeds. I recently picked up my car from service during which both front bearings were replaced, but it did not fix the issue.
I made a video where this noise is heard and it sounds like ouuuuh....ouuuuh.....ouuuuh low pitch sound.
Here is a YouTube link:
Hard to say. I'd stick a GoPro to the side of the car to see if you can get a better recording.

Haven't heard of something like this before on a Model 3. I'd bring it back to the service center and communicate that the issue is still present. I assume the service center agrees that they can reproduce the issue and that it's not supposed to work like that (since the already replaced bearings), so they shouldn't need to charge you for diagnosis. That is my own speculation based on how other manufacturers handle cases like this.

While we're here though, it sounds an awful lot like tire noise.
  1. Does this happen only on particular roads? There can sometimes be "patterns" to paving that result in patterns of noise and vibrations.
  2. Did you recently change tires, and/or are you using the stock tires?
  3. Has the car always done this, or is it new? If it is new, did any notable event happen recently? (parts changes, service, moved houses, changed daily routes, etc.)

To answer a few of your questions....
1. This noise becomes really prominent at 65-70 mph. It is present at lower speeds, but is more subtle and I probably would not be able to pick it up with my iPhone.
2. It does matter what surface I’m driving on in that subtle road imperfections like cracks seem to induce it, but not bigger bumps or potholes.
3. The noise does reduce in intensity above 75 mph.
4. The tires are not original to the car (it came with summer tires) I have all season Michelin Sport A/S that I bought 11 months ago and the car now has about 11k miles on it.
5. Tesla service center looked at the video and was not able to discern what they were hearing. Since finding a road where you could drive at 65-70 mph in Chicago during business hours is impossible they proactively replaced both bearings.
So I’m not sure if this is tire noise or suspension issue. Car drives well otherwise; no shaking or obvious vibrations.

I looked up the tires that you're using. The only complaints I could find are people complaining about similar noises with a fairly narrow 5-10mph window where it's loud, also at highway speeds. So basically the exact same issue! The consensus seems to be that these tires are fairly quiet overall, but for some people on some surfaces after the tires have worn down a bit, they can be noisy in a small range at usual highway speeds.

You could bring it up with the tire shop you bought them at if you want to pursue replacement via Michelin somehow (assuming you didn't buy them used), but I personally wouldn't hold my hopes up. To me it seems very likely to be tire noise, and other forums seem to corroborate the same issue with these tires. If this is indeed the case, they should be able to hear that it is indeed the tires. Whether or not they're required to do anything (or will do), I think it's unlikely.

I looked up the tires that you're using. The only complaints I could find are people complaining about similar noises with a fairly narrow 5-10mph window where it's loud, also at highway speeds. So basically the exact same issue! The consensus seems to be that these tires are fairly quiet overall, but for some people on some surfaces after the tires have worn down a bit, they can be noisy in a small range at usual highway speeds.

You could bring it up with the tire shop you bought them at if you want to pursue replacement via Michelin somehow (assuming you didn't buy them used), but I personally wouldn't hold my hopes up. To me it seems very likely to be tire noise, and other forums seem to corroborate the same issue with these tires. If this is indeed the case, they should be able to hear that it is indeed the tires. Whether or not they're required to do anything (or will do), I think it's unlikely.
Thanks for your input. I intend to drive the car as usual for now and monitor any changes in behavior. If something does change I will take it for suspension check at Tesla. The tires were bought brand new at TireRack. In my experience they are a good company and if tires are the cause I will contact them.

Thanks for your input. I intend to drive the car as usual for now and monitor any changes in behavior. If something does change I will take it for suspension check at Tesla. The tires were bought brand new at TireRack. In my experience they are a good company and if tires are the cause I will contact them.

This is definitely tire noise. A lot of tires will howl like this in a few mph speed range that lines up with their natural frequency. If it’s right at the speed you typically cruise at, you can try going up and down a few psi to shift the stiffness and thus natural frequency to a different speed. Obviously don’t go out of a pressure range you feel comfortable with, but it’s worth a shot.

Hi @Mode3Driver

Any progress on your issue ? I started to hear a similar noise from the front of my M3 today, at highway speed. Bought it in June, have 10'000 km on it. Recently installed my winter tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 235/40 R19 96W XL. Have not noticed any noise at first when installed them, started only today. Let me know if you found anything. Made an appointment to my SC, but only in 10 days.

thanks