TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

OTA Software Updates - Competitor Developments

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Spidy, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Spidy

Spidy Member

This seems to be a big factor for many people when buying a Tesla so I thought it would be interesting to keep track of the competition.

Just found a interview with a Mercedes developer...

So it seem like Mercedes plans to offer a update for the E-Class around every 3 months.

2. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

I have the impression that OTA updates is not really a difficult thing to do technically. It is just hard "politically" with existing automakers to chance it. They would prefer to have techs do it on site so if something goes wrong they can reboot that extra time to make sure its working. Tesla takes a big chance downloading new firmware and having the car reflash itself and reboot at 2am. I think other auto companies just veto this sort of thing.

3. Spidy

Spidy Member

I think security is the biggest issue. Requiring physical access reduces the risk significantly.

4. Pollux

Pollux Member

Isn't there a financial issue? Money "earned" by the dealerships for doing this "work"? I've heard that it costs $500 for a firmware update for a Mercedes owner.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

if you don't think that the other auto makers aren't watching and trying to emulate Tesla's innovations you're just being foolish. Tesla is the one that they all have to catch up to in the realm of technology.

6. Spidy

Spidy Member

In Germany we don't really have this dealership system and manufacturers just have their owns stores like Tesla so I doubt that. Will be interesting to see how Mercedes does that in the US.

7. 9837264723849

9837264723849 Member

• Informative x 2