Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTA Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
I’ve been stalking TeslaFi’s firmware update page and think Tesla have started prioritising M3P’s over SR+ for updates.

I’ve seen these new threads about new updates and they don’t land. Had the SR+ since Sept and I can pretty much say my software moves with the pack. Typically that’s about 1 week after mass rollout in the USA. When the pack moves my car moves. I don’t try to rush these things but I do pay attention.

The SR+ majority isn’t on .20. They’re a version behind. I don’t think this is just because of updates designed for a M3P but a conscious choice by Tesla. Could be wrong.

I’m not complaining, just an observation. TBH I’m surprised they didn’t do it like this anyway.

I assume the more expensive models get to jump the queue if they select 'advanced'. Maybe they are more likely to be better at uncovering bugs, maybe they just get a silent perk. I tend to get my updates ~6 days after the first release of a version according to TeslaFi, and it was closet to 2~3 in November.

SR+. First update was when I arrived home with the new car 9/12/2019.
I just sit and wait.
Doesn't seem to follow any pattern that I can see.

Attachments

• Updated.jpg
    Updated.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 79
It would be a bit silly of Tesla to prioritise software updates by trim level, since if SR+s had problems with it, for some reason, by the time it would be noticed it would already be installed on loads of Ps and LRs. If Tesla then had to release a "patch" for it, then those Ps and LRs would be affected too.

I imagine it is probably semi-random, and may even be based on a suite of variables including how often (or little) the car is used? Having FSD or not might make an impact, but maybe not necessarily in the sense that they will get the latest updates first.

I would expect geography to play a part too.

I think so long as you're on Advanced updates you probably have as much chance of getting an update as anyone else, for the most part.

I just added up the number of software versions my SR+ has had in its short life, 14! There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to when I get updates. Given that we first hear about new versions when only a tiny number of cars have been updated the great majority of us will naturally tend to feel that we are behind. When I look at the Teslafi web page and compare with my own experience I realise that sometimes I have been later than average, sometimes about average and at least one time well ahead of the curve ... so no obvious pattern and pretty much what you would expect from a random distribution.