Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other automakers using Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a capability within the DC charging data handshake that allows cars to identify themselves to the charger using their VIN. I believe this is how Tesla tie supercharger usage to a user account at the moment. Shouldn't be hard to allow that same method to bill other EV owners, just needs them to have an account set up with Tesla. Be nice if other DC charger companies set up a similar system, as there's a lot to be said for just having automated payment, with no need to mess around swiping cards.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
There is a capability within the DC charging data handshake that allows cars to identify themselves to the charger using their VIN. I believe this is how Tesla tie supercharger usage to a user account at the moment. Shouldn't be hard to allow that same method to bill other EV owners, just needs them to have an account set up with Tesla. Be nice if other DC charger companies set up a similar system, as there's a lot to be said for just having automated payment, with no need to mess around swiping cards.

Gridserve intends to do something like this, but it's not implemented yet. I suppose they have to check what car manufacturers are actually following the protocols correctly too

Probably a good thing if we think about it rationally - many Tesla drivers have been hooked by this USP but we could freely move elsewhere for our next car.

Maybe Tesla’s mission was to start the EV revolution but with a finite timespan until sale to an established manufacturer & this is a precursor.

However, that doesn’t make commercial sense as they must realise that if this happens, sales of their vehicles could drop substantially which would then impact the company valuation.

As with most things Tesla, it’s probably better not to guess and theorise (& after all, Musk’s own predictions are mostly wrong....)

Or, just allow non-Teslas to charge at triple the price. Non-Tesla EVs can use them in a pinch and it's still egalitarian but the Superchargers strongly favor Tesla owners.
sure but if you want to make as much money as possible without pissing off the Tesla owners then encouraging other makes to use when quiet but gouging when busy is better business than a flat fee.
I am kind of surprised more chargers don't already have a cheap night rate for example

sure but if you want to make as much money as possible without pissing off the Tesla owners then encouraging other makes to use when quiet but gouging when busy is better business than a flat fee.
I am kind of surprised more chargers don't already have a cheap night rate for example

I don't like this idea because it creates massive uncertainty in the mind of the non-Tesla EV and undermines the benefit of the Supercharger. It should be a fixed, across-the-board higher rate for non-Tesla EVs, busy or not. The 80% rule still applies for charging etiquette and non-Teslas should be capped at 80% charge regardless.

But, how is the non-Tesla going to track when a Supercharger is busy or not aside from obvious off-hours? I think it's too uncertain and volatile. Just charge them more (a lot more) if they're allowed to charge at all. It's a convenience fee which puts some skin in the game from non-Teslas who want to use the super amazing and convenient (and fast) network.