TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Other cars with wireless firmware updates?

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by David Johansson, Jan 17, 2013.

1. David Johansson

I think the way Tesla are able to update their cars wirelessly is pure genius (except for the occasional half-baked-release). Is this unique, or are there other cars out there with this functionality?

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Only a GM dealer can do updates for the Volt (which actually don't occur with any frequency). But it's PIA, as you have to take your car to a dealer, and we all know what that entails. But then again, I've had my Volt for more than a year and no updates have been issued.

3. David Johansson

Does that mean there aren't significant issues in your Volt's firmware? Or that GM decided it'd be too hard to distribute the update?

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Hard to know. But it's also pretty clear that the Model S firmware controls many more functions than the Volt's, so it's got to be much more complicated. Some people have had issues with the Volt relating to charging, car shutdowns, and the like. But judging by posts on the Volt forum it's not been a major problem and doesn't occur with much frequency. I've had no issues.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

*All* GM cars get a mandatory firmware upgrade when they go into service for anything but the basic oil or tire treatments. My wife's uncle tells me they get software updates pretty regularly for every model.

I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the current OnStar telemetry capabilities to allow for an occasional push of software. My guess is that the cellular data limitations across the entire fleet (and the fact a LOT of GM owners don't subscribe to OnStar) are what keeps them from doing this regularly.

6. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

My Volt (2012) delivered in July 2012 has been flawless. Never been to the dealer since delivery. BLUF, no issues requiring any updates or fixes.