Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Driver Interaction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I chuckled as I am sure others did too, I still think driving in the "fast"/left lane when there is no one in the right lane is very poor driving technique. In the video it looked as though there were several opportunities to move right and let him pass. Many states require this and passing on the right is also illegal in many states/municipalities.

That video is from Florida where it's legal to pass on the right (on a road with multiple lanes going in the same direction).

Although I chuckled as I am sure others did too, I still think driving in the "fast"/left lane when there is no one in the right lane is very poor driving technique. In the video it looked as though there were several opportunities to move right and let him pass. Many states require this and passing on the right is also illegal in many states/municipalities.

I agree, although "Road Rage" is never the answer. I always drive in the right most lane according to my speed and the speed of others. I even find drivers who just sit in the center lanes to be somewhat annoying especially when I hear their excuse is simply "I can't be bothered having to change lanes all the time". Here in Ontario, large trucks are not allowed to use the left-most lane on three or more lane highways and often slower cars in the center lanes are blocking the only lane trucks are allowed to use for passing.

Ugh this is what I'm afraid of (30 and female here). The whole status thing irks me and I already got a taste of it when I was getting the my nema 14-50 installed. One of the electricians who came out for a quote assumed that the car was my husband's or that he bought it for me and that I was a stay at home bon-bon eater or something. He was nice about it but kind of old fashioned.

I often get the same thing -- folks find out I am musician and assume I've got a rich wife and am a kept man.

I propose we Tesla drivers all get a set of these to ward off the bad spirits:

hotrodballs1.jpg
A set of what??? Large tires? Tailpipes? Everything else I already have :tongue:.

I agree that he driver taking that video has some culpability there... and am not really a fan of the premise that inducing "bad karma" by attempting to impose my will/values on others is a victory...

Last edited:
Could it be that what you saw as a "classic $money$" gesture was really a "world's smallest violin" demonstration? That would be somewhat rude and potentially applicable to his apparent mood, but not necessarily Tesla related. Then, you could chalk it up to general pissiness and not feel singled out for your choice of the world's finest vehicle.

Just a thought.

It's an interesting thought, and perhaps could have been... but I don't think so...

I agree that he driver taking that video has some culpability there... and am not really a fan of the premise that inducing "bad karma" by attempting to impose my will/values on others is a victory...

I disagree a little bit. Legally, the speed limits still apply to the "fast" lane. Speed limits don't apply just to the "slow" lanes. So you are fully within the law to drive 65 MPH in the left most lane. Anyone who is upset with you for not going faster is upset with your unwillingness to break the law. There is no culpability for someone who is following the law and is then subject to road rage by someone who breaks it by speeding.

Just my 2¢.

And in a very apropos moment on my mid day drive to work today I had a Cadillac XLR tailgate me. I moved to the right after passing the car, he stayed behind me, literally 5 ft away, at 60mp/h.
I accelerated away and slowed down to 60 again (cops love to hang out on Hwy 26 during the day) and a few seconds later there he was again, 5ft behind me.
What the... errr.... looking for a polite word that won't get this quarantained... heck?
People are weird. And it clearly wasn't monetary envy, either.

I disagree a little bit. Legally, the speed limits still apply to the "fast" lane. Speed limits don't apply just to the "slow" lanes. So you are fully within the law to drive 65 MPH in the left most lane. Anyone who is upset with you for not going faster is upset with your unwillingness to break the law. There is no culpability for someone who is following the law and is then subject to road rage by someone who breaks it by speeding.

Just my 2¢.

The camera field of view, as well as the pans clearly show there was spacing between the vehicles in the adjacent right lane allowing them to pull over, and the their wasn’t such a delta of speed that they couldn’t have done so.

The speedo shot shows them doing slightly less than 60. I don’t know what the limit there is, but they weren’t going dramatically faster than the vehicles in the slow lane… so it wouldn’t appear that that they were going way above whatever the limit there was.

The person driving apparently was ALSO filming. Bad. Don’t hold up traffic needlessly. That’s not just a nicety.. there are signs along the highways here to that effect.

If the limit is 55 and you want to hold up folks behind you by doing 60-65 in the fast lane when there’s opportunity to get over, you aren't sharing the road...

Just my 2¢.

I'll try to keep it civil since this is one of my pet peeves ... it is not up to the driver in the left lane to regulate my speed. In many (thought not all) states, you must keep right except when passing. It is my decision whether or not to break the speed limit. Sitting in the left lane results in cars swerving in and out of traffic making it even more dangerous.

I disagree that there is no culpability to sitting in the left lane at 55mph when all the other lanes are open. While I might be within my rights to give someone the finger, and they are technically wrong when their fist makes contact with my face, I shouldn't be surprised by the outcome.

I disagree a little bit. Legally, the speed limits still apply to the "fast" lane. Speed limits don't apply just to the "slow" lanes. So you are fully within the law to drive 65 MPH in the left most lane. Anyone who is upset with you for not going faster is upset with your unwillingness to break the law.

That might not be true everywhere. Here in Ontario, for instance, you are required to keep right except for passing, although it is rarely enforced. There are also penalties for "failing to share the road". I'm not sure whether the speed limit trumps these, but I think it does make sense to keep right except when passing as a rule. You never know if you're impeding someone in an emergency by hanging out in the left lanes and hanging your hat on the "speed limit".

Good points all around. Then we have the autobahn, where driving like this in the left lane would be considered a life threatening act. Speed in and of itself doesn't kill, in fact speed can be quite beneficial. But let's not be jerks about it, like the pickup driver. Oh my goodness!

This is a good video which shows that driving fast can be safer than sticking to artificially low speed limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

In Illinois, it is unlawful to operate in the left lane if you are not overtaking another vehicle and there is a vehicle directly behind you (with exceptions for emergencies and such).

I try not to pay to much attention to whats going on behind me, if someone tailgates I move over and let the pass if were on that type of road, if someone wants to pass in two way traffic as soon as I see them start and pass I slow down and let them go. It's not worth getting worked up over, especially in Florida, where you can get shot for texting in the movies.