Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Driver Interaction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny because I had a similar experience with an F-150 too (or one of these huge Ford trucks). That was 3 days ago on a the highway. His front bumper was almost kissing my rear bumper... He was flashing the lights while the left lane was really busy (his car was obviously higher so he could see the traffic in front of me). This is really unusual here in Ottawa. I turned the left signal because I really couldn't go anywhere unless I seriously slow down and take the middle lane. Of course he couldn't take it and went to the right lane and passed me and merged to the left lane in front of me where I had to press the brakes really hard to avoid what could be an accident. What's wrong with some people!

It may have not been the Tesla - in case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of terrible drivers in Ottawa, regardless of what you are driving. There certainly are the obnoxiously aggressive ones, but a much larger and arguably more dangerous fraction are just plain oblivious. And despite the "keep right except to pass" law, everyone in this town seems to think you're supposed to drive slow on the left and pass on the right. Drive south in the two lane section of Prince of Wales and you'll find this is the case for 95% of the drivers.

Although I chuckled as I am sure others did too, I still think driving in the "fast"/left lane when there is no one in the right lane is very poor driving technique. In the video it looked as though there were several opportunities to move right and let him pass. Many states require this and passing on the right is also illegal in many states/municipalities.

+1. Even though I chuckled, but why not let the guy pass? may be that is what irked him. However, getting angry seldom pays, there was no need for that obscene gesture on part of the Truck Driver. But then again, everyone has their own way of displaying frustrations.

And in a very apropos moment on my mid day drive to work today I had a Cadillac XLR tailgate me. I moved to the right after passing the car, he stayed behind me, literally 5 ft away, at 60mp/h.
I accelerated away and slowed down to 60 again (cops love to hang out on Hwy 26 during the day) and a few seconds later there he was again, 5ft behind me.
What the... errr.... looking for a polite word that won't get this quarantained... heck?
People are weird. And it clearly wasn't monetary envy, either.
Here is my recommendation for that situation:
1. Set your cruise control for exactly the speed limit.
2. Wait 15 seconds.
3. Diminish the set speed by 1 mph.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 until you are 10 below the speed limit.
5. Turn on your flashers/hazard lights and wait 15 sec.
6. Make an obvious gesture that you are taking a picture of the car behind you with your cell phone.

Usually before 6 but sometimes after 6 the idiot behind you will go away.

7. Start honking your horn erratically.
8. Drop cruise control 5 mph and wait 10 seconds.
9. Repeat #8 until you are at 5mph and then pull off onto the shoulder.
10. If the car remains behind you at this point, lock your doors and call 911.
11. If the other driver gets out, floor it. Don't underestimate what stupid people will do.

And in a very apropos moment on my mid day drive to work today I had a Cadillac XLR tailgate me. I moved to the right after passing the car, he stayed behind me, literally 5 ft away, at 60mp/h.
I accelerated away and slowed down to 60 again (cops love to hang out on Hwy 26 during the day) and a few seconds later there he was again, 5ft behind me.

I have occasionally encountered people who just like to follow another driver, at an uncomfortably close distance. I don't think they mean anything by it, it's just how they drive. As unsafe as it is.

I get really irritated when people do dangerous things "on autopilot". This winter I was driving on the local 416 highway at 90 kph in a 100 zone (62 mph zone). I'm in the right lane. I'm going 90 kph because frankly it wasn't safe to go any faster in the conditions. If I was in traffic I would have slowed to 80, but I was all alone.

So a guy comes up behind me and tailgates the crap outta me. I mean he's right up my ass. Okay, previously I felt safe at 90 kph. Now I'm not. So I slow to 80. Surprisingly he just sits there, on my ass. So I slow to 70. Then to 60. Finally to 50. He's still sitting right up my ass. There's a perfectly good passing lane beside us; maybe it's snowier but we're only going 50. So I turn in my seat and wave him past. He finally goes around me and boots it up to an unsafe (IMHO) 100 kph. I go back to 90.

Geesh how memorably annoying. Nothing to do with the fact that I was driving a Tesla. Just an idiot on autopilot.

2. Wait 15 seconds.
6. Make an obvious gesture that you are taking a picture of the car behind you with your cell phone.

11. If the other driver gets out, floor it. Don't underestimate what stupid people will do.
With all due respect. That's WAY too much work and WAY too much risk of getting rear ended or worse.
I simply ignored it (it was only one more exit, anyway).

- - - Updated - - -

I have occasionally encountered people who just like to follow another driver, at an uncomfortably close distance. I don't think they mean anything by it, it's just how they drive. As unsafe as it is.
Me too which is why I tried the "accelerate away and then settle down again at my speed" thing. But then the strange driver caught up with me and did the same thing!

I get really irritated when people do dangerous things "on autopilot". This winter I was driving on the local 416 highway at 90 kph in a 100 zone (62 mph zone). I'm in the right lane. I'm going 90 kph because frankly it wasn't safe to go any faster in the conditions. If I was in traffic I would have slowed to 80, but I was all alone.

So a guy comes up behind me and tailgates the crap outta me. I mean he's right up my ass. Okay, previously I felt safe at 90 kph. Now I'm not. So I slow to 80. Surprisingly he just sits there, on my ass. So I slow to 70. Then to 60. Finally to 50. He's still sitting right up my ass. There's a perfectly good passing lane beside us; maybe it's snowier but we're only going 50. So I turn in my seat and wave him past. He finally goes around me and boots it up to an unsafe (IMHO) 100 kph. I go back to 90.

Geesh how memorably annoying. Nothing to do with the fact that I was driving a Tesla. Just an idiot on autopilot.
Maybe you should have followed brianman's full ten step program :)

2. Wait 15 seconds.

Drive like that (15mph below speed limit, hazard lights on, horn honking) in this part of the country and you'll have all sorts of folks braking, and even stopping, with a major risk of accidents.

I've mostly experienced the thumbs up. Anything negative so far can't be positively attributed to my car, or it's price. I'm a speed limit driver and sometimes on the interstate that can be dangerous nowadays. I always stay in the "slow" lane unless I'm passing someone much slower, or avoiding someone/something for safety reasons. I simply prefer slow. Some people just don't like this even when you're minding your own business in the right lane.
I'm a notorious conflict avoider but still get the finger sometimes. I think we need a universally accepted and understood symbol for "it's all good." I generally use the peace sign to respond to the finger but I think that these "type" of folks just perceive it as sarcasm.
In extreme cases (never happened, hope it never will) if they don't like my American made electric car I can always show them my Austrian made 9mm. :smile:

2. Wait 15 seconds.

this is a recipe for troubles!
why go looking for issues when it is very easy to just get out of the way?

Last edited:
Redneck
The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or Covenanters, largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church. Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term Red neck, which became slang for a Scottish dissenter. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar - is this symbolic of the rednecks? Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially in the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that red-neck was a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians. It makes one wonder if the originators of the ever-present redneck jokes are aware of the term's origins?

http://www.tartansauthority.com/global-scots/us-scots-history/hillbillies-and-rednecks/

[Moderator: source link and quotation formatting added. Please include source links in cases like this, it's polite and we would expect the same if someone quoted TMC]

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree a little bit. Legally, the speed limits still apply to the "fast" lane. Speed limits don't apply just to the "slow" lanes. So you are fully within the law to drive 65 MPH in the left most lane. Anyone who is upset with you for not going faster is upset with your unwillingness to break the law. There is no culpability for someone who is following the law and is then subject to road rage by someone who breaks it by speeding.

Just my 2¢.

Doing so when you have opportunity to get over is bad form, IMO. And signs instructing slower traffic to keep right are posted along many highways.

- - - Updated - - -

2. Wait 15 seconds.

Dunno about all that... a good stiff brake-check might be in order though...

Dunno about all that... a good stiff brake-check might be in order though...

In Ontario a brake check is considered "stunt driving":

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

Penalties for "stunt driving" are:

- roadside impounding of the car for 7 days
- roadside suspension of license for 7 days
- license suspension for up to two years; ten years on second offense
- fine up to $10,000
- usually you get other offenses cited at the same time

(Driving 50 kph over the limit is also stunt driving in Ontario - meaning you have to watch it with the accelerator in a Tesla!!!)

this is a recipe for troubles!
why go looking for issues when it is very easy to just get out of the way?
I guess we're talking about different scenarios. I was addressing the case where you've already tried moving to the right line and accelerating away. At the point where my steps begin, you're at the speed limit in the right lane and the tailgater won't go away.

I guess we're talking about different scenarios. I was addressing the case where you've already tried moving to the right line and accelerating away. At the point where my steps begin, you're at the speed limit in the right lane and the tailgater won't go away.
this make little sense, are you trying to sell a case of where someone is speeding, you move over for them and they slow down and tailgate you anyway? if so maybe a call to the authorities would be in order

this make little sense, are you trying to sell a case of where someone is speeding, you move over for them and they slow down and tailgate you anyway? if so maybe a call to the authorities would be in order
I don't know what you mean by "sell" here.

That's the scenario that I thought was described in the post I was replying to.